News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Williams

Re:Why no golf courses in our National Parks?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 01:39:28 PM »
Garland,

GSMNP is not located closest to the tourist traps, the tourist traps located themslves as close as possible to the Park.  Its not the Park's fault  ;)

As much as I love it, GSMNP can't be the premier park, though that shouldn't in any way reflect negatively upon the park - it is tremendously important in many ways - culturally, geologically, and environmentally.

Yellowstone probably holds the greatest defense as the US's premier National Park - it was the first (though Yosemite predated it as state, not national, park) and for a long time the largest.  It also happens to possess some environments that are unique to all of the world.

As for golf courses in National Parks, it isn't an impossible thought, and I don't believe that building one would be completely against the rules of the National Park System - the system exists "to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations..."  and history has reflected tremendous efforts make the parks accessible and useful to the country's citizens.  National Wilderness Areas (often existing in National Parks) would be considered extremely off limits, though.  

I think the biggest things going against the possibility of new golf courses in National Parks are precedent and politics.  Tremendous amounts of construction, both for access and recreation, have ocurred in our National Parks, and I would imagine that if a golf course had been built adjacent to the Old Faithful Inn back at the turn of the century then you might find more existing today; but without that precedent coupled with the overriding public opinion on golf and the environment, the possibility is doubtful.

Keith.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 02:18:36 PM »

It seems we are missing the opportunity to build the worlds longest par 3 and the worlds shortest par 5 in Grand Canyon NP. Just two holes, out and back.

;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Ralston

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 03:03:03 PM »
EdG;

I wasn't really claiming Smokeys were better than Yosemite or Yellowstone. Just takes 4x the guests. Actually, it IS indeed too crowded around the edges. But walk 10 miles down the Appalachian Trail, and enjoy a near human free nature with some mind expanding scenery.

I personally would NOT want to see a golf course there; the Park is already to human heavy.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back