News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

david h. carroll

#11 PVGC
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:11:01 PM »
I know it's probably been discussed before somewhere in the Treehouse, but my search capabilities are pretty weak.

At any rate, why does #11 have such strange scalloped bunkers that seem so out of place with the rest of the golf course?

Willie_Dow

Re:#11 PVGC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:52:41 PM »
David - Could it be that the green is sort of in a valley where the natural look would be a scalloped hazard, rather than one flashed up or raised ?

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:14:50 PM »
If you're talking about the bunkering, there is a nearly perfectly round bunker out there today.  The different look of yesteryear (1940, courtesy of Craig Disher) is certainly evident; the bunkers along the right side were not discreet as they are today:

Today:

1940:

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »
I'm wondering if Rees Jones was involved at PVGC during his round period?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 01:26:31 PM »
I'm wondering if Rees Jones was involved at PVGC during his round period?

No, Tom, but it's part of what I've been noticing to be a purposeful standardization and formalization (and cleanup) of what used to be the wild, wooly, and clearly non linear PV look into something much less so.  

You probably wouldn't be surprised to learn that another equally famous architect is involved.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:28:52 PM »
To sum up the Rolling Stones:

I know, it's only Fazio but some like it.

It went like that, right?

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:42:19 PM »
Mike -
Number 11 has, for as long as I've been playing there, always been in contrast to the other holes. The formalized look of the hole existed long before Fazio got there, and for you to imply that Fazio is somehow responsible for it is pretty revealing. Moreover, I was at PV this past wknd for the first time in a couple of years and was looking hard for evidence of what you call the "formalization and standardization" to no avail. When you were there what did you notice?

david h. carroll

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »
Wayne--Thanks....the difference b/w those two aerials shows exactly what I mean...bunkers like the present ones are found nowhere else on the course.

While I do not believe these to be Fazio's work, I'd be interested to know who actually changed them into the ill fitting circles.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 01:48:57 PM »
Sean,

I'm not sure if Fazio did anything on 11.   I do know he widened the bunker left of 10 and formalized the whole area around the green and ditto for 14.  

Are you telling me that there hasn't been an effort to make the bunkers more standardized so that they can be machine-raked with sandpros?  As such, even the native grasses and other flora growing within the bunkers has been routinized such that machinery can drive in between them.

I'm sure Tom Paul and Wayne will tell you as much, and they get down there much more often than I do.

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 02:09:23 PM »
Well then why imply that #11 is part of what you've been noticing? I was looking for standardization and formalization, and I really found none. Sure, I could tell there were clearly areas where a sandpro could fit, but I would hardly call that formalization.

david h. carroll

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 02:14:38 PM »
and it sure doesn't look like they're frequently raked
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:22:37 PM by david h. carroll »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
Sean/David,

That PV's sandy waste areas are being kept much more formalized, cleaned-up, and standardized than their past practices doesn't seem much in dispute and has been covered here countless times in the past.

The last I saw the course was Crump Cup 2005 with a member of this DG and we both found it lamentable.

If things are progressing in the other direction, then I would certainly welcome that news!  

As far as Fazio's involvement, as the consulting architect for the club for at least the past decade or so, who exactly should receive the credit for the present state of any feature on the course, for better or worse?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:02:52 PM by Mike Cirba »

david h. carroll

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 03:01:14 PM »
Mike--but as for #11, those scallop circles were there before 2001....I just wonder who did them....was it a situation like George Cobb at Augusta?

SPDB

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 03:06:06 PM »
Mike - In your first post on this thread, you implied that Fazio was responsible for the observation made by D H Carroll, and backed up by Wayne's comments, namely that the bunker ahapes, etc. on the right side of 11 are out of character with the rest of course. I don't think that's true.

As for the clean up, it is unmistakeable, but I just don't see what you mean by "formalization" or "standardization."  That just seems like an extreme description, calculated more to indulge your feelings about Fazio, as opposed to Pine Valley. I, personally, think that cleanup at PV is a step in the right directions. The course has more formal bunkering (as opposed to waste, scrub) in the trees than some clubs have on their entire course.

What exactly do you find so lamentable?

SPDB

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 03:07:42 PM »
What is it, Mike - 5 years or a decade? And let's focus on his actual work there, as opposed to just his membership or passive consulting arrangement.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 03:18:19 PM »
Sean,

I don't have much time at present to engage in debate.

You like the bunker cleanup that was done at Pine Valley.   So be it, I don't.   I think the idea that you leave enough room around plantings, grasses, etc. to drive through with a machine gives them a very symmetrical, forced appearance, and also belies what used to be their fearsome irregularity and unpredictability.

If Fazio has been purely in a "passive" consulting arrangement, then you can't credit him and I can't blame him.

Fair enough?

SPDB

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 03:20:08 PM »
How about this: we'll engage in debate when you have the time.  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 03:24:36 PM »
That works Sean.  ;D

btw, did Fazio build the new hyper-elevated tee on 14, or was he a passive observer?  ;)  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
I liked the new tee on #14 as it brought back the original shot values. I thought the new tees on all of the holes were good. None were out of character with the original intent of the course IMO. #16 is a bear now instead of the three wood 9 iron it used to be. #18 is a monster too. All in all it was a great weekend.
Mr Hurricane

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
Jim,

Most of the new tees are pretty well done.   My quibble with the one on 14 is simply that it is so obviously contrived and artificial.  The original tees were simply cut into the existing hillside while the new one is built pyramid-like atop it.  I think it's unlike any other tee on the property and that's not a compliment.

The back left tee on 12 is also one that troubles me, simply because there is absolutely no reason to do anything on the hole from there but try to hit it as far down the right side as possible.  I'm not sure that Crump designed the hole to be so one-dimensional, but until they take down the trees on the left hiding the field of bunkers, it's a moot point.

Finally, the angle of the tee on 18 is quite a bit to the right than the original, meaning that a fade from the tee is now almost a required shot.   Given the proximity to the 17th green of the original tee however, there was no way to get around that problem and still lengthen the hole.

BTW, I'm one of the fans of the Fazio green on the 8th, so contrary to Sean's assertions, this isn't personal.  It's more about his work.  Did I mention I'm a big fan of Trump National in NJ?  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 03:48:19 PM »
Jim,

I'd also like to see the new back tee on 16 a bit closer to ground level, but with the natural upslope back there, the visual presentation does differ from the original tee.

However, it was never a 3-wood, 9 iron for me!  ;D

SPDB

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 03:56:25 PM »
Mike - I tend to agree with you on those points, but on 14, if they decided to lengthen the hole, I don't know where else you'd go. If they stayed at grade, then you probably wouldn't be able to see the hole. I don't really mind it all that much. Nor do I really mind all the other tees, but perhaps that's because they are just amusement to me, not a realistic playing ground.

I hate the right green on 8! (i guess love-hate is more appropriate). I love the green, hate what it does to my scorecard. On Saturday, while driving to the range I breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing the pin cut on the left green. But when we got to the hole, we found they had switched it in the intervening 2 hours to the right green.  :'( >:(

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 04:19:56 PM »
Sean,

On 14, I though they could lower it a bit while still maintaining decent target visibility.  While I tend to like blindness, I don't find blind-shot, drop-shot par threes to be particularly enjoyable so I'm not going to argue for that.

As far as the Fazio green on 8, I think he did a superb job in matching the fearsome rigors of the original.  I know it hasn't been particularly well-received in some quarters, but I thought it was a courageous attempt, well executed.

SPDB

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
Mike - I think its diabolical, and like it for that reason (in a masochistic sort of way). It is far more severe than the left green - perhaps too severe when you consider its size. I saw an unbelievable putt made there this weekend, with the player playing basically up hill to a flatter portion to take some speed off before beginning the quick march down to the front. his back was to the hole.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »
Sean -

What time did you play Sunday? We went off at 8:40 and had the left green.

I agree with you that the 14th tee box needed to be elevated in order to see the green. Some people are tough as I did not find it too contrived. I thought the 16th tee box flowed nicely with the others banck up the hill.

Mike -

I would agree that the trees on the left of #12 should come down as it would certainly give the golfer an idea of what was out there. Now you just bang it as far as you can to avoid the bunkers on the approach. I heard someone made a hole-in-one from the right tee recently. First time ever.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back