News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Anti-RTJ tees
« on: August 22, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »
Earlier I posted my homework assignment from Geoff S's book. In it I had wide, narrow (not deep) tees instead of long narrow tees ala RTJ.

Matt Ward posted about Yellowstone Club, which got me curious, because the only Yellowstone (Country) Club (RTJ, my first exposure to RTJ tees) that I knew about was in Billings, MT. I looked it up on the web, and what did I find, but the par 3 6th hole with 7 teeing areas in approximately a half moon shape across teeing region for the hole.

I think it is a concept that could be used more, especially on par 3s.

What do others think?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kerry Gray

Re:Anti-RTJ tees
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:38:55 PM »
Similar tees on the not so wonderful 4th hole at RTJ's Kananaskis (Mt Kidd) course outside of Calgary.
I like the idea if the green was designed to have such a left to right diversity in approaches.
In the Toronto area, Osprey Valley's Hoot course has a similar teeing ground on a short par 3.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »
Similar tees on the not so wonderful 4th hole at RTJ's Kananaskis (Mt Kidd) course outside of Calgary.
I like the idea if the green was designed to have such a left to right diversity in approaches.
In the Toronto area, Osprey Valley's Hoot course has a similar teeing ground on a short par 3.
Devil's Pulpit, which is only a few miles from Osprey Valley, also has a plethora of tees playing from different angles on several holes, including a par 3.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:06:34 PM »
I guess this begs the question what is acceptable diversity, and what is unacceptable diversity?
I would maintain that acceptable diversity includes making very easy approaches sometimes and very difficult approaches at other times from the same angle. I guess it would play havock with PGA tour stats if it played to an average of 2.5 one day and 3.5 the next. :)

The tees I designed made the shot to the center of the green essentially the same distance from any set of tee markers on them. At Yellowstone club, that does not appear to be the case.

How about the other holes mentioned?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kerry Gray

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:36:14 PM »
Garland,
I think the diversity is fine provided the player is not dictated to. That is, is not forced to hit a particular shot (fade or draw) in order to hold the green. If the is green canted severly right, then a far left tee may require a draw to hold depending on the length of hole. 13th at Oakland Hills may be a good example of a severly canted green where diversity of tees may force particular shots.
That said, I do not neccesarily have an issue with a par three forcing a particular type of shot to get close from the championship tee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back