News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Lou Graham: A Gentleman, Not A Journeyman
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:52:51 AM »
I had the good fortune to play golf with Lou Graham many years ago and chatted with him briefly a couple of years ago on the range.  Likeable, easy-going, self-effacing with a dry wit: a delightful gentleman.

Funny how every recent article that refers to his 1975 U. S. Open victory at Medinah refers to him as a journeyman.  The billboard-sized Amana hat probably didn't help.  The "Radar Range" was hardly hip.

In his playoff with John Mahaffey he drove it into trouble on the 18th.  Up by two shots, ABC's Bob Rosburg purportedly opined "He's got no shot."   Graham hooded a long iron and made par to win by two.  In retrospect, he commented "There's no such thing as no shot."

Crenshaw and Nicklaus finished 1 and 2 back, respectively.  Graham's wife was purported to tell the disappointed Mahaffey that she felt sorry for him but that it was likely Lou's last chance.

Little did she know that it wasn't, as Graham finished 2nd by a shot to Hubert Green at Southern Hills in 1977, a fact often forgotten given the death threat that Green played under.  I reminded Graham of how disappointed I was that he didn't win a second open and recalled the death threat.  Graham dead-panned:  "My wife phoned it in."  Ironically, Patsy Graham had eaten lunch the final day with none other than Hubert Green.

Graham had recently been back to Medinah at the club's invitation.  We talked about the distance issue and he indicated he generally hit the same club into the greens as he did 30 years ago.  

What a treat to visit with him.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:54:23 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

Re:Lou Graham: A Gentleman, Not A Journeyman
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:06:49 AM »
Thanks for relaying those stories, Mike.

It often bugs me when writers - or even posters, for that matter - casually dismiss athletes who didn't quite make it to the top, yet accomplished far more than the person dismissing them.

George
Journeyman t shirt printer
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
I hit balls next to Lou at Bonita Bay when he was still playing on the Senior Tour every week - usually finishing last.  His ball striking was pure.  The culprit was very bad arthritis, I was told, and that he couldn't execute when there were 10-15 minutes between each shot.

Knowing that he was a US Open champion and seeing his 78-79 every week in the newspaper was tormenting for me - and I don't even know him.  Imagine the frustration for him.

Thanks for the story.  Seems like a genuine good guy.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »
John,

Would you have been interested in having lunch with him when he was shooting those high scores..

Gary Daughters

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:59:26 PM »

I have one of those Amana hats.  It was given to me by Dick Lotz, later signed by Jack Nicklaus and Angelo Argea.  Amana was the earliest entry into the logo thing that I can remember.  As a kid, I couldn't grasp it.  Kitchen equipment?  Dryers?  Golf?

Every now and then I put the thing on.  Instant geek.

Lou Graham is in the Larry Nelson category of superb golfers who are rarely remembered for how good they were.  Both were fairly quiet, both classy.

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »

I have one of those Amana hats.  It was given to me by Dick Lotz, later signed by Jack Nicklaus and Angelo Argea.  Amana was the earliest entry into the logo thing that I can remember.  As a kid, I couldn't grasp it.  Kitchen equipment?  Dryers?  Golf?

Every now and then I put the thing on.  Instant geek.

Lou Graham is in the Larry Nelson category of superb golfers who are rarely remembered for how good they were.  Both were fairly quiet, both classy.

Gary,

When I was an undergraduate at the University of Missouri in the mid-1980s I once saw an attractive coed crossing the campus with the Amana hat on.  I guess at some point that hat obtained some sort of youth hipness (is this a word?).
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »
John,

Would you have been interested in having lunch with him when he was shooting those high scores..

I'm not really one to bug guys like this.  I've been a foot away from Nick Faldo and didn't say anything about respecting his history of contributing to my scholarship.  If someone knew him and set it up I'm certain I'd enjoy the day.  But there's no way I'd ask him to join me for lunch no matter what he shoots.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
John,

I guess I had it wrong, you were speaking of breakfast in your quote from yesterday...sorry...I got the impression that eating with a guy was based on his current scoring ability.

"Maybe his personal matter is that he can't putt?  Y'know, Ernie Els without his game is just another David Duval, Ian Baker-Finch, or Bill Rogers!  How many guys want to have breakfast with them?"

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 05:36:32 PM »
As usual, you are in another world.  The context of that quote was as a fundraiser for ALS.  Lou Graham in 1976 was a bigger draw than Lou Graham in 1996.  I wouldn't have gone to the Els breakfast anyway, so it doesn't matter.  Heard Lehman earlier this year at the FCA breakfast during Bay Hill week.  Enjoyed it.  Invited someone who sponsored the table.

You are one tormented soul.  Do you stay awake at night pondering things like why Ryan Potts doesn't contribute to Par Club?

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
BTW Barn, your favorite flat course is hosting the Am this month.

JSlonis

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
Mike,

Nice of you to bring up Lou Graham.  You are definitely correct, 100% a gentleman.

After college I had the chance to work at Bonita Bay as an Asst. Professional for a year and a half, from Nov. 1991 to March 1993.  During my time there I got to know Lou and his wife Patsy quite well.  They are two of the nicest people in the world.  As one of the staff pro's, I got to tee it up with Lou quite a few times. At the time, he was trying to get his game back in shape and rehabbing after some wrist surgery.  He has been battling wrist injuries since the late 1980's, and now probably suffers from arthritis due to those old problems.

It's good to hear he is still doing well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back