News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

Tiger thought and fought his way around Royal Dead Links at Hoylake to win the Open Championship and he did it with irons, not woods.  Can Tiger and his wayward driver conquer Medinah?

Kyle Harris

Re:Tiger's Irons won the British; will Tiger's Woods win the PGA?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:20:54 AM »
The Fairway Tiger
Conquers with 3 wood today
Irons surround flag

michael j fay

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »
Tiger knows the golf course as well as anyone, he won here and he appears to be playing well. If he has his A game he will win. If not, he will probably still win.

I figure Tiger to win 10 of the next 25 majors. I expect that in 6 years he will have both the Masters and US Open records for most wins. Eventually, he will have all the records.

The fields in these events are full of talent but Woods is clearly among the top 2 or 3 players in the history of the game. Only Nicklaus and RT Jones ever played this game for any sustained period as well as Woods.

No one will ever break the record of Jones from 1923 to 1930 where he played in 21 National Championship and won 13. 62% wins is unattainable today.

If Woods remains healthy he could put up some numbers that will never be beat.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:29:10 AM »
If Woods remains healthy he could put up some numbers that will never be beat.
It will be interesting to see when Tiger gives up the Career Money Leaders title.  Of course this will largely depend on inflation/ purse growth.

Tiger is at $61M, Vijay is at $48M and Phil is at $39M.  Tiger is younger than both guys - Vijay likely only has a few more good years, and I believe Tiger is 6 years younger than Phil.  Assuming that Tiger continues to play until he turns 50 he will have until 2026 to pad his totals.  How many years will it take after 2026 until someone passes him?  Unless there is very significant inflation I am betting that he will hold onto that title until at least 2036.  No one currently on tour who is younger than Tiger looks like they will come very close to challenging him in this area.

john_stiles

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 11:37:47 AM »
There once was a golfer named Tiger
Who hit 2 irons like Jack hit driver

By the time he got to Medinah
He said things couldn't be finer

But they lengthened the course
Til he needed 3 wood at most

And his score was much better than others

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:15:45 PM »
From the webcast it seems like Mickelson and Ogilvy are hitting a lot of drivers and Tiger is hitting 3-wood on most of the non par-3's.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back