News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Has a successful architect ever quit the business..
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:15 PM »
Seem like successful businessmen are always wanting to quit and become architects...has the reverse ever happened.  

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:Has a successful architect ever quit the business..
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:09:22 PM »
Charles Blair Macdonald

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:12:55 PM »
Charles Blair Macdonald

How did that happen..I hope it doesn't say in Scotland's Gift because I gave my copy away to an equipment whore with an architecture bug on Bombsquad before I got a chance to read it.

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »
George Thomas also pretty much left the business.  However both of the 2 men mentioned never were in the GCA bsns for a living.  Thus to suggest they "retired" is something of a misnomer.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 03:42:28 PM »
Wasn't Tillinghast the GCA who quit the business and opened an antique shop in the Los Angeles area?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:03:52 PM »
David, you asked, "Wasn't Tillinghast the GCA who quit the business and opened an antique shop in the Los Angeles area?"

Tilly didn't quit the golf architecture business until after he suffered a severe and almost life-ending heart attack in May of 1940. Tresulted in his leaving his partnership with bell and moving back to Toledo where he died two years later.

Tilly had settled in California after completing his course consultation tour for the PGA of America in August 1937. Since earlier in the year he had been planning on making this move and actually had several things that he was involved with.

First was his new partnership with Bell. They worked on approxiamtely 7-9 courses as the business still hadn't recovered from the heart of the Depression. The second thing that he was involved with was the Pacific Coast Golfer Magazine. His long-time friend Scotty Chisholm actually ended up being the deciding factor when he made the decision to move by offering him a job with the magazine.

The third thing that Tilly became involved with was also inspired by Scotty Chisholm. Because of a need for funds, He decided to sell copies of some of the photographs that he had taken over the years. Unknown to most today, Tilly was an award-winning photographer winning cash prizes for his work as far back as the early 1890's. Among the photo copies that he sold was the one that many are aware of today, the photograph of Old Tom Morris standing in the door of his shop that he took in 1898.

During the trip west, the glass negative for this broke in the lower tight hand corner. Scotty Chisholm's expertise saved the day as he was able to repair it so that it could still be used for reproductions. The way to tell when a copy was reproduced is by the area in the lower right hand corner. For years the new men's club at St. Andrews believed that the photo they have of Old Tom in their clubhouse from Tilly was made very early, but the lower right hand quarter shows that it isn't.

He wrote about this venture saying, "“The original negative was slightly broken when my belongings were moved to California from the East, but fortunately its damage was confined to the edges and that very capable master photographer, Scott Chisholm, with rare skill, completely restored it and has made some magnificent enlargements for framing. One of these would make a particularly appropriate addition to the walls of any clubhouse or golfer’s den and I suggest you get in touch with ‘Scotty,’ care of this office, if you would like to have one. As they say over the radio, ‘Do it today!’”

Finally, the last venture that Tilly was involved with was the "Tillinghast Authentic Antiques" shop that he opened with family friend Nedda Harrigan (the song is actually named such after her family) and hus wife Lillian. It was located at 205 1/2 South Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills (this is part of Rodeo Drive today I am told).

He wrote about this saying, “Then again I managed to get myself messed up with two ladies, who have kept me busier than a one-legged paper hanger. It happens that my good wife and Nedda Harrigan (of cinema fame) decided that they would open an Antique Shop in Beverly Hills (this plug must be inserted to preserve peace in the family) and I was elected to assist. I am a wreck but the repository for authentic antiques of rare merit is robust and healthy. What chance has golf got against such guys as Chippendale, Sheraton, Hepplewhite, Stiegle and such?”

When he wrote that he was a wreck he didn't realize just how "wrecked" he was for the next year he suffered his heart attack.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 06:20:44 PM »
Jay Morrish last year

Mike Stranz walked away from Fazio and golf for a period.

I'm sure when you look into this you may find there is more than you would expect. They may not always be the principals of firms but some great lead associates do pack it in for a different life.

One excellent associate I knew walked away because the offer in the development side was too stable to pass up.

If you look into the war years you'll probably find a series of well know architects who retired, but many were not by choice, there was simply no work.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:25:37 PM by Ian Andrew »

George_Bahto

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 07:29:18 PM »
John - he only wanted to build a prototype course as an example of strategic golf for others to take note of.

In essence he wanted to build links courses and the closest he to that in later years is his involvement with the Lido project.

He did get some-what dragged into a few other course building projects for close friends.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 12:27:36 AM »
George Thomas (not sure I am right - the rose guy in California)

Tony Ristola

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »
Didn't Desmond Muirhead quit to start an art gallery? Not sure for how long. Tommy N.?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 05:20:22 PM »
A lot of guys "quit" in 1931-33 when their services were no longer needed.  But, as posted above, several have walked away.

Not me, though.

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »
...mark my words...the moment I become successful I'm out of here.

so I hope I never do.... :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »
Desmond got fed up with the rat-race in the 1970s (late.) As the story goes he began selling art and some of his golf sketches. A group of Japanese men walked into his Newport, CA gallery and began discussing a few of the golf sketches. They asked whether they were "Original Muirheads." "Yes," said desmond, "In fact, you're talking to him." At which point they began bowing and talking quickly...and in Japanese.

These men were developing a community in Australia (I recall) and wanted him to design it. He refused, saying that he was no longer in the business. When they persisted — and they did quite well — he threw out an outrageous fee. They accepted and he tried — again — to get them to go away. They didn't. Desmond went down and sketched all sorts of crazy stuff...golf holes shaped like — well — you name it. They paid him and he figured it might be a good business afterall.

He eventually found fun in creating symbolism in his designs.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:12:22 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 11:45:25 PM »
Forrest,
You got that right, I tell you that for sure....

You know what the problem with the Jones' is don't you? Bad Breeding.... (said with a complete and honest straight face, even while you, listening, are in fits of uncontrollable laughter. Desmond could do that to a person.)

Ella, Desmond's longtime faithfull assistant told me that when Desmond supposedly left the golf architecture field, it was odd she was always still working in his golf architecture office--of some sort! he did sell the art, and given Desmond's demeanor, I'm sure it was just the perfect place he could sit there whenever he wanted and tell people exactly what Hitaro's Perfect Wave was all about in relation to the Viking Horde that was about to overtake South Coast Plaza.

While the times may have been lean for him work wise, it was mostly because he had tired of the business after dealing with a certain champion golfer who he had been in partnership with. (Tired may not be the best word. More like disgust) It was undoubtedly because of not wanting work--although he did in fact design some courses down under. It was also here he really started to get into more of being a visionary city planner. Someone that could be given thousands of acres and create something in the vein of the Olmsteads only in a more dramatic sense. Desmond loved his art. Regardless of what some of you might think of his work.

I miss him dearly. I think I can speak for Forrest too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 11:47:06 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back