News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

"Ask the Pros"
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:41:32 AM »
This weekend in conjunction with the International, I'm playing in the "Saturday Series," where Tour pros who miss the cut play with us hackers the next day for the benefit of charities. On Friday night, there is a Q&A with some of these Tour pros. If you could ask these vagabonds who travel around the country/world doing this for a living a question, particularly with a GCA focus, what would it be?

If you give me any grist for the mill, I'll try to pose them and let you know. Thanks.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Glenn Spencer

Re:"Ask the Pros"
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:47:09 AM »
Why on earth did you get married so young? ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:49:58 AM »
You're making an assumption they know anything about architecture?   You'll be surprised how little some know.  

I would ask your pro what his favorite courses are?   Ask if they have ever heard of Crystal Downs or Fishers Island to better understand their knowledge.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 11:51:51 AM »
I like to know if any of them still have fun playing golf/
If not, when did the fun cease.

And if they wouldn't mind, thinking back to when they did have fun, what characteristics did the courses have that made it fun.

Then ask them if they have heard of that new course on the front range in N.E. Co.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 11:53:14 AM »
Whoa!

I was just about to type in "ask them if they play the game for fun any more"...

Great/feeble minds, Adam.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »
"Imagine that you can play only one course for the rest of your life. Which course will you play -- and why?"

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
Dan, I'd bet 99.9% of them say ANGC.  But, I'd be interested in the answer of that .1% guy. ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
RJD - well, Nicklaus for one answered Cypress Point to that very question....

Is that enough?

;)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
"What is your favorite course on tour to play, just for playing the course, regardless of purse, or major/invitation status?"

Follow-up:  "Why?"

I suppose you could ask if they've played courses such as Sand Hills or NGLA or Pine Valley and ask what they thought of them.

Huck,

I could have sworn Nicklaus said that about Pebble.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
Let's be serious about what you might get an answer to.

"Are the women better in Dallas or in Phoenix?"

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 01:15:21 PM »
"Huck,

I could have sworn Nicklaus said that about Pebble.

Could be.  My recollections get worse by the day.  In any case, the question has been asked and answered at least with Jack.   ;D

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 01:16:45 PM »
Doug

Just for Dan and Rose, please ask them how do you "read" a hole.  I'd like to know too.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
I'd like to ask "given the following two choices, which would you prefer - to play classic courses as-is, using restricted or anachronistic equipment, or to play new, purpose-built designs created with the latest technology in mind?"

Taking out of the equation the "hacking up classic courses to make them produce higher scores given the current state of technology" option.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 01:53:41 PM »
 8)

Are swing coaches crutches or just another part of the necessary support system to be successful these days?

Them that have, gets?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Moore

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 02:29:18 PM »
I would ask -

"Would you rather go around a middle-of-the-road TPC course mashing it off the sweet spot like the awesome professional athlete that you are, or would you rather slash it around an oceanfront classic from the Golden Age like an internet chat room hacker?"
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 02:44:28 PM »
C'mon, Michael

That's a no-brainer.....

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »
"Can you get me on Augusta?"
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 02:53:12 PM »
Let's be serious about what you might get an answer to.

"Are the women better in Dallas or in Phoenix?"

JES,

:o This is probably a better question to ask (and get answered) during the pro-am round than in a public forum... ;D

Thanks for the ideas so far!

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »
Ask 'em if they've ever carried a 200 lb. high handicapper for 18 holes to victory at Black Mesa!

I'd be curious to know if they ever go overseas for fun golf.

Please share your playing experience in the pro-am as well.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Nugent

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »
Do they support rolling back the ball?  Do they think other pro's support that?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »
I second Rich's question about reading a course. I'm always amazed at how well these guys play courses they've never seen before. They may not know much about golf course architecture by the book, but they sure get it on the ground. What features tell them where and how to hit it?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 05:59:34 PM »
Ask them if they would enjoy playing an unofficial event with just 10 or 8 clubs, and which clubs they would select.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 08:04:51 PM »
What's your opinion on Wie playing in PGA TOUR events?

(FYI - I was all in favor of Sorenstam, a hall of famer, playing Colonial)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:05:58 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 08:37:57 PM »
Why they are such babies and cry about things like furrowed bunkers. I hit out of them the other day with no problem and a decent amount of spin. I am a 12 handicap keep in mind. I don't understand it, the entire field has to hit out of the same exact bunkers whats not fair about that?

Doug Wright

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Some interesting questions and a few others (DCronan)  ::) that may get lost on the cutting room floor. If I can't get them into the Q&A, I'll quiz my pros in the pro-am.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back