News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Have I lost my amateur status?........
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:04:35 PM »
As some of you may remember from the flaming headlines of the Monterey County Herald of June 17th., I had a hole-in- one on our Shore's eleventh hole.

The Club has an hole-in-one pot where, when a player has an ace, each member contributes $3.00 to the ante and gets a couple of free drinks. Any funds left over are distributed to the ace maker. I've just received my prize money of $553.00.

When can I get re-instated? ;D

Bob

T.J. Sturges

Re:Have I lost my amateur status?........
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »
Robert,

Just wondering if you were utilizing that "keep all fingers touching the club" tip I gave to you when you made your ace?

Congrats on your 1!

TS

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 04:08:58 PM »
Bob -

I made an ace in the Santa Cruz City Am in August, 1996. I won a Honda Civic (which I needed at the time). As a 15-handicap, I was more than happy to give up my amateur status for a while.

It took me a little over a year to be reinstated. I believe the USGA exempts awards of $500 or less. Your might want to check on that. You can donate the $53 to a junior golf program and keep the rest!

Congrats on the ace by the way!

DT

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 04:10:31 PM »
way to go Bob!

how many aces do you have?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 04:13:39 PM »
For anyone who has the real answer to this, please also include how much money one can win in betting games with friends before amateur status is revoked.  This is rather important in light of successes I had recently playing with and against a certain ace-maker.

;D ;D ;D

Apologies Bob - of course I too share congratulations on your most recent ace and little windfall here - and at the risk of blowing my acceptable guest status - well... the needle had to be given.

TH

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Ted,

It's funny you brought that up. As the players at KP whatever number it was in Palm Springs can testify, my game was execrable. If I couldn't putt, I couldn't play.

However, just a couple of weeks ago whilst punishing myself on the range, I changed my golf glove and written on the new one, alongside the left thumb was "all the fingers." It sure made a difference.

The trouble is that my memory fails after two or three holes.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »
I feel so much better losing money in a game of Wolf to a professional .. ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
I feel so much better losing money in a game of Wolf to a professional .. ;)

Thanks, Mike.

Oh, you mean Mr. Huntley.... yeah, that makes me feel better for past losses also.

;D ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »
Bob, I am sorry I did not make much of a dent in the pot to help your preserve your Am status.

JSlonis

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »
Bob,

No worries...

The limit for Amateur prize value is now $750.  It was increased from $500 two years ago.

At the same time, the USGA changed their policy for Amateur's who make a Hole-In-One receiving a prize.  Now, if an amateur makes an ACE and wins a car or something else, they no longer have to forfeit their amateur status.  The USGA made the decision based on their judgement that making a Hole-In-One is based largely on luck as well as skill.

a. General
An amateur golfer must not accept a prize (other than a symbolic prize) or prize voucher of retail value in excess of $750 or the equivalent, or such a lesser figure as may be decided by the USGA. This limit applies to the total prizes or prize vouchers received by an amateur golfer in any one competition or series of competitions.

Exception: A prize for a hole-in-one made while playing golf may exceed the above prize limit.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:29:04 PM by JSlonis »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 04:21:28 PM »
It has to be reported that the Huckster is one of less than three guests ever to leave MPCC with my money in his pocket.

I deliberately  brought in a near scratch senior golfer from Dallas who can flat out play. Our Thomas handled him easily.
I am not sure if it's the round the houses back-swing or the floppy folding of the right arm, but I must say he does hit the snot out of the ball.

Bob

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »
I believe the limit was recently raised to $750, so you're still an am, if correct.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »
It has to be reported that the Huckster is one of less than three guests ever to leave MPCC with my money in his pocket.

I deliberately  brought in a near scratch senior golfer from Dallas who can flat out play. Our Thomas handled him easily.
I am not sure if it's the round the houses back-swing or the floppy folding of the right arm, but I must say he does hit the snot out of the ball.

Bob

I have never written this on this forum before, and I didn't think I ever would:

My life is now complete, I can die happy.

;D ;D ;D

I'm gonna get in big trouble as people all around are wondering what the huge guffaws are for....

TH

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 04:23:24 PM »
Bob,

No worries...

The USGA made the decision based on their judgement that making a Hole-In-One is based largely on luck as well as skill.

Jamie,

Luck be damned.  :D

Bob

JSlonis

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 04:27:38 PM »
Bob,

No worries...

The USGA made the decision based on their judgement that making a Hole-In-One is based largely on luck as well as skill.

Jamie,

Luck be damned.  :D

Bob

Bob,

Although you know that your hole in one was 100% pure golfing skill, it's good for you, that now, the USGA thinks it is mostly luck.  The more $$$ and prizes, the better!  ;)

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 04:31:12 PM »
I always thought "hole-in-one" clubs were exempt from the rules of amateur status prize limits.  I was with the understanding that since one also contributed for every other member's hole-in-one, that this was analogous to "hole-in-one insurance".  Was I incorrect?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 04:38:51 PM »
Bill,

I think you are right on this, basically you have contributed to an insurance pool. But knowing the USGA, one cannot be too careful in these matters.

Bob

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 05:01:11 PM »
Dear Mr. Huntley, please be in my office at 10Am tomorrow, and bring your last 7 years 1040s and all accompanying forms.

Yours Truly,
Melvin Purvis,
Special Agent in Charge... U.S. Treasury Dept. :P ;D :o :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 05:03:47 PM »
I had a hole in one 8 weeks ago, I've just been discharged from rehab. Does $9000.00 worth of free drinks count ?? It's wonderful to have so many rum donkey's for friends. ;D

ward peyronnin

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »
Bob

Sounds like you are in more jeopardy from bringing a ringer in to hustle your friends than from accepting insurance proceedings

Ward P
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 05:08:09 PM »
Ward - I really believe Bob's Texas ringer fell prey to an affliction others have with me... and that is, gazing too closely at my "unique" swing.  I have a few nicknames but The Medusa of Golf has to be one of the best.

Keep this in mind if we ever play together.  Try not to look.

;D ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 05:25:54 PM »
Huck, your swing does create doubt in the mind of your opponent until he watches the shot go straight time after time.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »
Huck, your swing does create doubt in the mind of your opponent until he watches the shot go straight time after time.

I suppose so when it is working right... but many have seen the bad days also.   ;)

In any case, that is part of the Medusa effect.  Those with any swing knowledge go batty trying to figure the cause and effect.   ;D ;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 05:28:42 PM »
Bob:

Send me $500 of your winning, keep the $3 and I will use my influence with the USGA to have you reinstated.

Cary ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 06:45:49 PM »
My father's cousin was playing for $10-a-hole with one of his buddies. The buddy made an ace, but he had inadvertently teed his ball up a foot in front of the tee markers, so the cousin made him tee it up again... hitting three. Very brutal.

I'm not sure if a $533 hole-in-one could ever make up for that $10 mistake if I was in his place.

Then again, if I remember Mr. Huntley's original thread, he has a few aces to spare if he decides to void this latest one for the sake of his amateur status...

Kudos on your fine shot and your ingenuity in devising a way to bring the subject of your ace up in two separate threads, Mr. Huntley. Surely you have a skilled publicist on retainer.

;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back