News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kai Hulkkonen

Where to go for caddie year?
« on: August 06, 2006, 08:28:22 AM »
Inspired by the topic on books on time spent at St Andrews, I started wondering if anyone has any good advice on how to go about looking for a caddie job / where should one go?

I might have a possibbility to take about 4 months off from my day job and would love to spend that somewhere that is pure golf.

Kai

Dan Herrmann

Re:Where to go for caddie year?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 08:40:51 AM »
Bandon, Oregon, USA.  Money isnt bad, fantastic place, free golf for caddies (at times).  Plus - 10 miles inland at Coquille, you have much sunnier/warmer weather - if you start growing webbing between your toes.

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 09:21:30 AM »
Back in 1980, admittedly when the golf world was simpler and B&B a whole lot cheaper, I walked up to the caddie master at St. Andrews, explained my "credentials" as a former club and Tour caddie, and asked if I could loop there. He tried to dissuade me but never said "no."

It was September, the R&A club matches were about to start, and by 1 p.m. that first day they used me. I got out every day for three weeks, and it was great experience. It helped that I killed most of my mornings waiting for a loop by playing the course, going off as a single (noballot necessary) and joining others as early as possible in the a.m.

I don't know if they are as open now as they used to be, but you cannot do better than that kind of experience. I would also think with courses like Muirfioeld, Troon and Turnberry, you'd also have a chance. By the way, the big caddie companies like Caddie Masters Int'l in the U.S. are always looking for qualified caddies for their ranks and they have contracts at some pretty good places, like Whistling Straits, which also would not be a bad place to work. Or Sebonack, which is recruiting.

Kai Hulkkonen

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 10:27:04 AM »
Bandon would be absolutely fantastic asuming work permit for a euro could be arranged. How are they open over the winter?

St Andrews would work also but a 4-month break might ask for going somewhere further.

Thanks,

Kai

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:32:38 AM »
If you are thinking about caddying during the winter months, how about Seminole, Indian Creek or other interesting Florida courses?

Merion and Pine Valley are terrific choices in the Philadelphia area but the season for caddies ends sometime in November.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 01:58:18 PM »
Kai, do you caddie now?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kai Hulkkonen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 03:32:51 PM »
I don't caddie now and actually never have more than a round every now and then. Got to be careful when saying this(especially with no real experience), but I think I start to understand the game enough to be of some use to most golfers (I'm 27 and been around golf courses for some 15 years now). As of now I supervise course construction.

APBernstein

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 06:15:52 PM »
Finally, a topic on which I can speak with some authority.

I spent approximately 6 months in Pinehurst, NC between high school and starting college.  Pinehurst generally has pretty good weather consistently through October and at times into November.  Generally you'll be on #2 but there is some variance with courses #4 and #8 being thrown into your rota from time to time.  Also, as far as getting to see a good track, you can't do much better than #2.

Another advantage to Pinehurst is that the caddie company also runs quite a few operations in Florida.  If it does get too cold and wet, you can simply migrate south.

I originally tried to make my way to St. Andrews but was denied the British work permit.  Shame, but Pinehurst allowed me a great experience nonetheless.

APB

JR Potts

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »
In!  Where are we going?  
Old Course...Augusta....Cypress.....NGLA?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 07:56:25 PM by Ryan Potts »

APBernstein

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 08:14:17 PM »
$200 a loop?  Nonsense.  I would still be caddying today if I was getting that kind of money.  Instead, law school.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 08:24:22 PM »
Bandon?

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 11:03:02 PM »
There are members at many clubs that I could get to drop 2g's if given 4 hours to work on.  In fact, these same guys probably don't even need to get worked over.

This is a cool idea.  

My wife might not be too keen on me being gone for a month though.  Two weeks?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 11:34:32 PM »

If I were young and single I'd caddy for the summer at Newport CC (Rhode Island).

I've been to Bandon, Monterey and St. Andrews.

The golf may be a 7 but the entertainment is an easy 10.
Those other spots don't break 16 unless you're name is Bob.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

APBernstein

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 12:22:25 AM »
I am starting to think I needed to start my own charity.  I could've called it the "Andrew Bernstein Gets To Eat AND Pay the Electric Bill Foundation".

Come to think of it, Andrew, if you can't do that, I'd just cut bait and get the hell out of law school right now...

The trick to law school is not to convince people to pay you more money.  The trick to law school is to go ahead and charge them the extra $$ and spend the rest of time convincing them it was their idea in the first place.

APB
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:23:21 AM by Andrew Bernstein »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 01:19:19 AM »
Shivas(the idea guy),
 There's a few misnomers in your scenario.

1)You're not 25 anymore and even if you were, pack'in doubles and playing twilight sounds grand, but the reality is you'd be lucky to play twice a week.

2)Caddying, especially doubles, is very hard the body.

3)Stepping into a caddie position, and expecting to get out every single day with a loop.

4) Winter jobs are even harder to find, with the short days and competition for the fewer jobs.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Stearns

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 10:26:44 AM »
go as far away as you can.  if you live in the states, you'll get to Bandon someday.  Go to New Zealand/australia.  those are tough to do with a day job.

Or Scotland, if te caddie thing is really that important to you. you can play a LOT more great golf on your off days than you can in Bandon.  Sorry guys, but Bandon has four courses.  Scotland has probably fifty that are worth seeing, and that doesnt include the heathland course you can get to around London, the Irish courses, or the beer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back