News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

A remarkable round of golf from one of our own
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:26:08 PM »
Friends and contributors, here's a pretty remarkable round of golf for your cogitation and discussion.

The other day at his club, GCGC, our own Pat Mucci, shot a 69 playing the "whole" course and in a record recording context (clubs can have differing criteria regarding "record" scores).

At first a 69 may not sound like all that much to you but it instantly gets more impressive when one considers that GCGC is one of the unusual ones at a par 73 (like NGLA).

Not just that but there have actually been very few scores that low ever shot at GCGC of the kind that can qualify as "record" scores. Matter of fact, there are only about a dozen or so in that context that have ever been shot there like Pat's.

His name and his score will be going on that board at the club recording his feat with the not numerous others who have recorded scores of that ilk there.

Most of us know Pat is no spring chicken (how old he actually is I think I will let him tell you, if he feels like it, but he's older than I am and that's pretty ancient ;), and he is also old enough to have felt during that round that he could and might shoot at or under his age).

Some of us know Pat has also dealt with cancer in the last four years or so and faced it down with his usual panache, inquisitiveness, thoroughness and humour.

I think, in some ways, golf itself, was a big part of Pat's barometer to test how well he could beat that prevalent and nefarious disease and get back whole again. Plus he has a great wife and a young son too that motivated him most.

But to shoot a 69 at GCGC in any case but particularly under all those seeming obstacles is just remarkable.

And the added beauty, although it makes him pissed, is that Pat made SEVEN birdies in the first ELEVEN holes!! In other words, that round could've been even better and maybe a lot better.

Congratulations Patrick, my friend---you are a trooper, a fighter, and as completely evidenced by this terrific round of golf, still one helluva a golfer. There are some lessons here from this to be learned by all of us.

(And now, having said all that about Patrick, I'm going to throw up and then go to bed).  ;)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 09:32:45 PM by TEPaul »

PThomas

Re:A remarkable round of golf from one of our own
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 09:28:34 PM »
Patrick congrats!!  if we ever play together I will expect a tip or two!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 09:30:31 PM »
Pat...NICE!!!!!  Good for you!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

JESII

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 09:57:30 PM »
No wonder he thinks Pine Valley is accommodating to the higher handicapper.  ;)

Way to go Pat.

Question though, when Tom mentions you might have had a chance to shoot your age, was he expecting you to play the last couple about 10 or 12 over to get up to 80, or what?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 09:58:36 PM by JES II »

Sam Sikes

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 10:16:50 PM »
I wonder if I should contact GCGC to let them know that I shot 69 from the tips my first time around the course so that I can get on the aforementioned "board". Ha ha.  I finished that round with birdies at 13, 14, 16, 17, 18.  That was certainly a day that I will never forget.   Mostly because of the fact that it was a mere extension of the Red Bull and Vodka all-nighter I pulled at Club Marquis in Manhattan the night before.

Hungover doesn't even begin to describe the way I felt that day, but for some reason I was able to maintain an inner calm like I have rarely felt on the golf course, ALL DAY.  Completely immersed in the beauty of Garden City Mens and totally absent of fear.  I would compare the feeling to taking a handful of Xanax on the first tee and never looking back.  I was in La La Land.

Anyway, congratulations to Pat, especially in lieu of the circumstances.  I am 24 and in good health.

There is something particularly soothing about a 4-under 69 at GCGC, I can attest to that.  :) :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:18:05 PM by Sam Sikes »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 10:22:30 PM »
Nice work Pat.
Thanks, TEP for alerting us.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »
At the risk of having my words turned around and somehow put into a negative light. ;D I still must say, that is quite a round of golf Patrick and congratulations!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »
Great job Pat.

If we ever play you gotta give me a couple strokes.

Paul Payne

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 11:53:51 PM »
WOW,

Congratulations. I'm almost tempted to refute it just to get you going, but I guess in this case the moment is too special. Not many will ever achieve a score like that. You should be proud.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 12:11:55 AM »
You make us all proud. Congrads :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 12:39:53 AM »
Pat,

Was it thumbs up all the way? Congratulations on a great round.

Bob

John_Conley

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 01:06:51 AM »
Mucci shot his age?!

(just kidding)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 01:21:15 AM »
Pat, Great playing and I hope you won the match as well.

John Kirk

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 01:41:39 AM »
Add me to the list of admirers and friends.

One of the JKs

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:26 AM »
Congratulations to Pat on his 69 and to TEPaul for publishing the fact – the best double act on this site.
7 from 11 is outstanding and as poetic as a 69. :)

wsmorrison

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 07:52:18 AM »
Getting a 69....oh yeah.  Good show, OLD man.  

Gary Daughters

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 08:07:58 AM »

Inspiring.  Way to go, Pat.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Dan Kelly

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 08:11:18 AM »
Tom I --

In tribute to the man, I really think the title of this thread should have been "Was this a remarkable round of golf from one of our own?"

Patrick --

Good playing.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 08:20:47 AM »

Congratulations to Pat on his 69 and to TEPaul for publishing the fact – the best double act on this site.
7 from 11 is outstanding and as poetic as a 69. :)

As usual, TEPaul didn't quite get the facts right.

I birdied # 1, # 2, # 4, # 5, # 8, # 17 and # 18, Bogeying from the middle of the fairway # 3, # 6 and # 15.

It was four weeks later when I was playing with my surgeon and two other guests that I bogied # 7 but had 7 birdies in the first 11 holes, and stood 6 under on the 12th tee.

That's when I thought about shooting my age, 64.
Evidently, that was a bad thought as I got a little defensive, tight and unlucky and ended up shooting 2 under.

That was a round that I let get away from me.

Not long ago, I couldn't hit a drive 180 yards, weighed 70 pounds less and didn't know if I had a future in golf or in life.

But, TEPaul is correct, striving to play better and striving to play no matter how I felt were great medicines.

I've just started a blog to help others stricken with cancer, as well as their families.  It's at:

colo-rectal-cancer.blogspot.com

TEPaul, thanks for the support, the day was perfect except for one missing element......... RAN

Oh how he would have suffered ;D
[/color]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:21:14 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 08:38:42 AM »
My new hero.  Thanks for the inspriation.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »
Great, great stuff.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »
Actually, even if that round of 69 (-4) at GCGC was a remarkable round for a guy who's gone through what Pat has I still think he managed a round even more remarkable than that a few years ago at NGLA during qualifying for the National's Singles tournament.

At that point Pat, who's a pretty big guy was right in the middle of his long treatments, he'd lost a ton of weight, like maybe 30-40 lbs and probably about the same amount of length off all his clubs because he lost a ton of strength too.

I think he had been eyeing that tournament as a barometer and test and goal and he comes in there and shoots a 77 (NGLA is also a par 73) under real tournament conditions where in my opinion that course plays about 3-5 shots harder than normal even for good players.

And that kind of score qualified too, and is a score that maybe half the field wasn't even able to shoot.

Of course he wasn't able to actually keep going and play in match play because that might've worn him out so bad it could've killied him but that round got special mention at the dinner from the MC---to which Pat got up and made some smart-ass comment like maybe the rest of us could use some chemo if we wanted to play better. ;)

What was most remarkable to me about that round at NGLA was think how intelligent and strategic you have to be to adjust and shoot a round like that using strategies which are basically nothing remotely like you normally play golf.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:50:32 AM by TEPaul »

Ted Kramer

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 08:53:05 AM »
Very impressive Pat.
While fighting with and beating cancer really seems like the big story here, a 69 at GCGC is very nice sub-plot.

Congrats and thanks for all of your contributions on this website.

-Ted

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 08:55:43 AM »
"As usual, TEPaul didn't quite get the facts right."

So what?

As Jack Nickolson said to Diane Keaton in the movie "Something's Gotta Give", when she asked him if he had lied to her:

"I've never lied to you---I've always told you some version of the truth."

;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 12:03:59 PM »
Pat, of  all those "D"s you list on your blog; 'Determination' seems like it is the primary attribute to describe you.  And, you take that trait to the ultimate degree, way beyond golf.  May your son inherit equal measures of such.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back