News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

best private club buddy trip
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »
This past week Golf Digest asked the panelists to rate the best buddy trips at private clubs. They did it in two parts.  The first was to just rate the trip (not the only course) from one to ten.  The second part was to rate the club for course, wine list, lodging, food etc.

I have not been to Augusta but my top five would be:
Pine Valley
Stonewall
Sage Valley
Musgrove Mill
Baltusrol

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 05:54:23 PM by tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Huckaby

Re:best private club buddy trip
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:01:52 PM »
Tommy:

Just to clarify - and only because people here tend to attack Golf Digest and it's ratings the way sharks attack chum in the water - we were NOT asked to rate "buddy trips" per se.  That is, that was not the term used.  We were asked to rate "golf retreats", defined as follows:

private clubs where groups of golfers can go for a few days to play, eat and stay in rooms on the grounds. In some cases, these retreats may require a member to play in each foursome; others may only entail a member's sponsorship. But they all afford a memorable golf experience.

You have the other part correct - first it was course only, then second was course + amenities as you say.  And note of course we were asked to comment only on those we have actually been to, and re amenities, comment only on what we used (that is, if we didn't eat or stay there, don't rate that).

This may or may not matter - and I know it's your intent just to discuss what others think might be great in this area - but well... GD has been ripped for lesser things, so best to give full and correct disclosure.  It won't prevent the ripping here, but at least they'll rip based on correct data.

;D

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 06:02:06 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »
Tom, I just modified it a bit, but thanks for helping clarfiy GD's intent.  GD does get ripped a bit.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
Tom, I just modified it a bit, but thanks for helping clarfiy GD's intent.  GD does get ripped a bit.

Very cool - and I meant no harm.  Just call it a preventitive strike.

BTW, I haven't been to any you mentioned but I trust they are all fantastic.  As for me, it should surprise no one I gave pretty universal 10s to a certain club in Nebraska.

;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 06:14:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »
I've heard great things about Old Memorial for such a trip.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 06:54:40 PM »
Tom H is right...Sand Hills is about as good as it gets.  It is right up there with Pine Valley as the best private club destination spot.

Given that there is a private membership at Cascades (is there one for Pebble Beach?) I would list that a few steps below SH and PV.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:08:51 PM »
Sand Hills May have the best steaks, except maybe for Old Memorial, since it has the Outback connection.
St. John of the Cross

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 08:20:32 PM »
i'd like to know which club has the best on-site lodging, which i think includes the dining and the actual room/cottage accomidations.
I would think that CPC would have to be close because of the view out of the windows for no other reason, but I'm curious to hear what most of you say who have been fortunate enough to visit so many of the best clubs in the world...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:24:19 PM »
Sage Valley has six bedroom brick cottages that come with a butler.  It also has the best wine list by far.  And if you get tired of playing golf you can hop in a row boat and go fishing.  Don't even ask about the quail.
St. John of the Cross

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 08:25:14 PM »
I would put Redtail Golf Course on this list as well.  They have lodging, a very intimate clubhouse and a beautiful, secluded setting where the focus is on golf and golf only.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:39:51 PM »
I will nominate Old Waverly for the following reasons.

1. Real Solid Golf Course
2. Condos and Cottages on-site
3. Dining from grill to fine on-site
4. Lake for fishing 30 feet from cottages
5. Southern Hospitality
6. Short Course and great range
7. College Town (MSU) and Southern Belles are only 20 minutes away
8. I don't do hunting, but it is 5 minutes
9. Southern Barbecue

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:41:51 PM »
I have not had the chance to accept the invitation yet, but I heard that staying in the cabins at Shoal Creek it an awesome experience.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 10:52:11 PM »
Haven't played Augusta yet, but those who have stayed there say it's pretty awesome.  Same goes for Pine Valley.
 The best place I've stayed private side is Congressional.  Not because the room was that great- but the ambiance is truly grand.  Walking around there, you feel as if you are going to bump into the likes of Rockefeller or the 5 presidents who were founders. And if you eat in the fine dining room, you are made to feel like royalty.  Very special.
    Jerry Rich at Rich Harvest Farms has a pretty good set up for members' guests.  His little cottage of I think 5 bedrooms has some nice amenities- like a Monet in the downstairs foyer.

John Kirk

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 01:59:43 AM »
I enjoyed staying at Riviera a lot.  Great history there.

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 08:16:22 AM »
Secession
Pine Valley
Laurel Valley
Caves Valley
Sand Hills
No particular order
The problem with ANGC is your scared you could screw up w/o knowing it......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 08:17:55 AM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
This whole topic is an oxymoron.

If a club is truly "private" and truly a "club" it will not allow "buddy trips" even if a member is one of the "buddies."

Scott Szabo

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
Sand Hills, hands down.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »
Rich, I am not certain I understand your point.  I don't know any private clubs that do not allow members to bring guests.  And when they have accomodations allow the member and the guests to stay on site.

St. John of the Cross

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 01:37:05 PM »
The carriage house at Oakmont ain't so shabby.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 01:50:19 PM »
Pine Valley
Sage Valley
Sand Hills
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 02:07:33 PM »
It is amazing how many clubs provide accomodations.
When I was at Trump Bedminster I saw their cottages.  
They are out of this world.
St. John of the Cross

ForkaB

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 06:04:29 AM »
Rich, I am not certain I understand your point.  I don't know any private clubs that do not allow members to bring guests.  And when they have accomodations allow the member and the guests to stay on site.

Tommy

My point was that if you go to a club with a bunch of buddies (even if one is a member) you are really not having a "private" club experience but something more like a CCFAD.  Of the truly private clubs I have visited, I can't really imagine buddy trips there.  But, maybe that's just me.

Rich

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 09:08:10 AM »
You know what I've been discovering - it's tough to find a club with a good course with a non-resident membership.  I'd love to get a non-resident membership up where my parents live (Monroe County, NY), but nothing's available.  You can join as a full member - with full initiation - then regress to a non-resident.

Is that normal?

Non-resident memberships sure would let things like buddy trips be more doable.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 09:08:33 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Jin Kim

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 10:37:09 AM »
Obviously Sand Hills.

I also love going to visit a friend in Tennessee and staying and playing at the Honors Course.  Fanatastic cottages with awesome showers and a great cobbler.  Not to mention the fantastic course.

Tim Bert

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 11:04:49 AM »
Sand Hills May have the best steaks, except maybe for Old Memorial, since it has the Outback connection.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but are you talking about the chain Outback?  How can one even put that in the same realm of the incredible steaks they are serving at Sand Hills?

I think I've only played 6 private courses in my entire life.  3 of them were local courses (all three different cities, but where I lived at the time) played with a member.  One was an add-on to an existing golf itinerary in Oregon.  The other two are the only two "stay and play" private courses I've ever played.  I can't imagine the total experience at others being too much better than Sand Hill or Ballyneal, though the "stay" part wasn't yet in effect at Ballyneal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back