News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re:A remarkable round of golf from one of our own
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 12:18:25 PM »
Pat:  It seems that some of us old farts can still putt.  Congrats!

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »
Pat - I continue to find you an inspiration.  Keep up the good play.  

Now to give away your secret.  If you want to play well just imagine you are in a match with dearly beloved Ran and he's conned his way into getting a dozen shots over the 18 holes.  ;D

James Edwards

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 04:10:33 PM »
Well played Pat, well played!!  

Was it a meteoric footage of putts holes or beautiful iron play??
@EDI__ADI

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »
James Edwards,

I hit every fairway and nearly every green.
The putts weren't very long as my approaches were pretty close.

On 18 I probably had the longest putt of the day, a downhill 20+ footer with about 3 feet of break, I knew I needed it to break 70 and, although it sounds odd, I just knew I was going to make it.

TEPaul,

That round at NGLA under tournament conditions was special.
I knew they invited me as a courtesy, but, I told them that I would be competitive.

The one asset I had going for me was that I was so weak that I couldn't swing hard at the ball.  I swung within myself and although the ball didn't go far, it went where I aimed it.

I was in the final phase of six months of full dose post operative chemotherapy, had lost 70 pounds and couldn't hit the ball very far.  I had had surgery on January 21st, and prior to the surgery underwent radiation five days a week with chemotherapy 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, for several months prior to the surgery.

My doctors thought I was certifiably crazy when a week after being discharged from the hospital I drove out to NGLA to see the results of the tree removal project.  Two weeks later, while in Florida, I played golf.  My surgeon told me that I could just chip and putt, but, I played, never taking my hands back past waist high.  Hitting a 4 iron from 150 was a new experience and fun.

I think one of the things I like about NGLA is the many ways you can play it.   I had to take the circuitous route because I had no length and no power, but, I manueuvered my way around for a good round.   I think that's one of the lures and charms of NGLA, that a so-so player, using his head, can get around that course and score well.

Holes like # 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 18 allow a low ball and short hitter to run the ball up to the green.
You just have to position yourself to give yourself the optimum angles into those greens, and you have to develop the "FEEL" for those kinds of shots.
I call them "ginky" shots, and I love experimenting with, and hitting them.

After playing at NGLA in the morning, I went over to Westhampton and played 18 more with Terry Cassidy and Terry McBride.

At the dinner that night when the MC made a toast to me, that's when I stood up, thanked him and the members and staff at NGLA, and related how I had played 18 holes with TC at Westhampton and had come to the conclusion, after watching him play, that he needed full dose chemotherapy a lot more than I did.  Those in attendance who knew TC, and almost everyone does, got a big kick out of that line.

At this years dinner the MC made another toast to my battle, recovery and good round that day.

I thanked him, the members and staff at NGLA and then told a joke that brought down the house.  Sorry you missed it.

While I'm not out of the woods yet, things are looking favorable, and I continue to try to do my best in every endeavor I attempt.

Geoff Childs,

Those rounds at Wild Horse and Sand Hills, especially with Ran, were the begining of my comeback in golf.  Shooting 1 under, and losing to him, was a great experience, and, I have no doubt that if that pebble, or perhaps boulder, didn't deflect his putt, traveling at warp speed, on # 17 into the hole for a birdie, there's no way he wins that match going into # 18 only one up.

And, Geoff, thanks for being there for me when I needed all the help I could get.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone The Creek on August 21st.  Rumor has it that Ran may stop in for dinner.
With discretion being the better part of valor, he's chosen not to have a match with me that day.

James Edwards

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006, 05:18:39 PM »
Pat,  nothing odd about that - Ive certainly had that feeling...
@EDI__ADI

brad_miller

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »
Patrick, well done!!

Geoff Childs, Ran getting 12 shots from Patrick would be no con job, that just might allow the match to make it into the back nine.  :)

David_Madison

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2006, 09:12:47 PM »
A great round, and even a better blog. Pat presents a wonderful example of just how absolutely vital it is as the patient to be making the decisions and being in control in our medical system, an environment that does everything possible to take it away.

Brian Joines

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »
That's pretty amazing with or without those life obstacles. Congratulations

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 10:50:50 PM »
Pat, I'm also 64 and only wish my game were in the shape yours obviously is.  Congratulations on the super round.

And congrats too on your successful battle against cancer.  I'm about to lose a friend to colon cancer, it is a bitch.  I was with my wife all through her successful battle against breast cancer, I admire and applaud all who fight this battle, their wonderful spirit and attitudes are the difference.

8)

Brock Peyer

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2006, 10:58:43 PM »
Congrats on the great round!!!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 08:42:41 AM »
Patrick,

That's just outstanding!  Obviously, we're all proud to call you a friend.  ;D

Now, if you could just learn to chip.   I'm more than willing to spend some time refining your method using the patented Cirba "Shortgame Histrionics Intensive Therapy" method.  ;)

JSlonis

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 09:23:43 AM »
Pat,

Well done!  That's an outstanding round of golf.  You'll have to give me some of your secrets for GCGC. ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 09:25:34 AM by JSlonis »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 09:32:01 AM »
I'm more than willing to spend some time refining your method using the patented Cirba "Shortgame Histrionics Intensive Therapy" method.  ;)

Well, you hit that SHIT crisply and with authority!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 10:17:13 AM »
WAY TO YOU BRADY QUINN LOVER!!!   ;D

Giving away more of Pat's secrets here, and not to get too maudlin, but well....

As great as that round was... and as particularly awesome as all of his great play is given the physical trials and tribulations he has had the last few years, well... and major kudos for all of this... well....

That all impresses me less than this:  a round of golf with Pat Mucci is as fun as golf is meant to be.  Oh, you lose, for sure... but if you have half a sense of humor at all, you go down laughing.  The man is an absolute joy to play the game with.

So keep up the great work, my friend.  And I am proud to say that last two words in full sincerity.

TH

ps - dammit, I damn near had you one of those matches at Sand Hills also... if only you would have fixed my wedge play BEFORE those rounds, rather than after!   ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 10:44:45 AM »
Along the lines of the Bobby Jones quote, you could take away all the anecdotes on here and leave only Tom Paul's and Pat Mucci's, and it would still be a helluva read.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Wright

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
Congratulations Patrick.

I hope our paths will cross one day.

Regards,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jay Flemma

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 02:11:45 PM »
Amazing!  What a trophy for life's wall...best I ever shot was even and that was 20 years ago...

twenty...whoa-oh what I want to know-oh, where does the time go...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 09:28:05 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

I've always had fun when playing golf.
Although, some rounds are more fun than others.

You should have fun in trying to best the golf course and/or your opponents.

And, you should have fun with your companions and/or your opponents, whenever possible or practical.

When you've experienced what I went through, you gain a renewed perspective, understanding how precious time is.
I won't spend 4 to 5 hours on a golf course with people who are unenjoyable to be with, irrespective of their golfing abilities or "who" they think they are.

We had a lot of fun at Wild Horse and Sand Hills, yet, we managed to have very enjoyable competitions, despite that boulder on the 17th green.

With respect to the swing advice, Bob Huntley was also the beneficiary of a helpful tip.  I've always enjoyed helping someone with their game because I know how much playing well or better means to "golfers".  We all strive to play better, and part of the spirit of the game is helping others who love the game.

I even tried to help Ran despite the fact that St Jude, the Patron Saint of Lost Causes, gave up on him years ago.

Right now my goal is to shoot my age, and to continue to do so until I'm 84.  

After that, I heard that TEPaul has a suite reserved for me at Happydale Farms

Dunlop_White

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2006, 01:32:50 AM »
Pat,

Congratulations on your great feats in golf and life.

Eoghan O’Connell probably didn't shoot a round that low while qualifying for the Travis? Well done!

A friend of the family, George McElveen of Charlotte, is battling another bout with cancer. He's a very accomplished golfer who told me in the Spring that he was popping his 5 wood only about 140 yards, but still loved doing just that, when he had the energy. I am going to relay your story to him for encouragement. Way to go!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2006, 09:59:58 AM »
Patrick - sage counsel for sure, much appreciated.

And dammit next time I'll kick away that boulder rather than place it there.  Of course we are all Ran's minions.

;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back