News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:Davis Love III
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 06:57:51 PM »
Paul, great news about your upcoming work in the Panhandle, god knows we need some new excellence!

And I would love to have you come play PCC with me next time you are in the area; next spring probably works best as the grass will be a bit thin this fall.   Please let me know when you'll be down and we'll get something set up.

The St. Joe Company should be a great client, I was wondering who was going to be doing their upcoming work.

TaylorA

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 07:26:53 AM »
J:

Thanks for the response. I really enjoyed Windermere and appreciate your comments.

A.G.:

You are absolutely correct about Laurel Springs. One of the more boring courses I've ever played. In fact, the three Nicklaus courses I've played in Atlanta (Birch River and Bear's Best being the others) would all be near the bottom of my desire to play again.

J_McKenzie

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 11:34:07 AM »
A.G.,

Finley would have been a great job since both Davis and his brother Mark know that course so well.  I haven't had the opportunity to see it, but I understand the Fazio renovation was well received for the most part.

We are currently working on another university course and it's one near you that perhaps you have played.  We are close to finishing up on the University of Georgia Golf Course.  This renovation is much smaller in scale when compared to Finley- we have redesigned the greens and bunkers, added new tournament tees and junior/forward tees.  We have also recontoured the landing areas on holes #4, #7 and #9, and completely reshaped the 5th hole and converted it to a par-4.  This is a course that I would consider a hidden gem, even before the renovation, and we are extremely excited with the way things have turned out.  Our major goal was to return the greens to a more traditional style, eliminating the containment mounding that had been added in the late 80's.  The greens now have much better visibility from the landing area and should actually play a little easier for the higher handicapper (more accessible), while still challenging the lower handicapper.  The course is scheduled to reopen this fall, depending on the grow-in, and should really be good next year with some maturation.

John

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 11:45:41 AM »
A.G.,

Finley would have been a great job since both Davis and his brother Mark know that course so well.  I haven't had the opportunity to see it, but I understand the Fazio renovation was well received for the most part.

John,
I was one of the people who didn't like the renovation at Finley, though I have warmed to it increasingly over the years.  I'm sure part of my problem was that I truly loved the old Finley, though it needed work terribly.  I would have loved to see plans to actually renovate that course; the Fazio work was a ground-up reconstruction on the same site, to the point where it takes several rounds before you can even figure out at some points where you are on the property relative to the old course for comparison purposes.

If you guys had done there what you've done at the other places of yours that I've seen, it would have been special, I think.  I certainly don't expect you to respond to this, but I have wondered what the Love brothers think of the work there, and what they might have done differently.  I'm sure they've thought about it.

I'm a Carolina grad ('74) but live relatively near Athens.  I'll make it a point to get over there next summer to see your work.  Sounds great.

Regards,
A.G.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

J_McKenzie

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 02:16:45 PM »
A.G.,

I don't believe Mark has been to Finley since the renovation and Davis has only been there for golf camp appearances.  I'm not sure he has played the course and if he has, I haven't heard any feedback.  

If you get the chance, you do need to go play the University Course in Athens.  It's a great value and truly one of the better courses in the Athens/Atlanta corridor, in my opinion.  It was designed originally in the late '60's by Robert Trent Jones, although we're not sure if he was ever on site during construction.  Good use of land with the routing and there really isn't a weak hole on the course, except possibly #5 which hopefully we are fixing, and the par-3's are all really good.  The 18th has to be one of the toughest finishing holes in the state.  I went to school at UGA and worked at the course for three years, so I do have a bias.  I doubt anyone played there more than I did for a six year stretch and I never got tired of it.  I still rank it as one of my favorites and look forward to playing there whenever I get the chance.

John

Brad Tufts

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 05:40:31 PM »
-6 through 12!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Paul Richards

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 09:23:36 PM »
Man, Davis had it going today.  Too bad that the triple-bogey ruined an amazing round.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »
Just a matter of time before Love realized that Mickelson and Woods played well in the morning. Check out Wetterich's scorecard at PGA.com. Two quads, don't remember seeing that, ever.

mikes1160

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2006, 09:33:52 AM »
Glenn,

What does that statement mean???? Davis was four strokes removed from that threesome........his only mistake was mis-clubbing on 17, according to him. And he got an unlucky break by not going into the bunker.......

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 09:38:01 AM »
It means that Love is done. He is winning his battle with John Daly as the most talented person never to really do anything near his ability.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:39:00 AM by Glenn Spencer »

mikes1160

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2006, 09:57:32 AM »
That is a lot of crap........please then tell me where you factor the following in relation to Davis (18 TOUR victories, 1 major, 1 PLAYERS):

Colin Montgomerie (0 TOUR victories, 0 majors)
Fred Couples (15 TOUR victories, 1 major, 1 PLAYERS)
Greg Norman (20 TOUR victories, 2 majors, 1 PLAYERS)
Stuart Appelby (8 TOUR victories)
Tom Lehman (5 TOUR victories, 1 major)
Paul Azinger (12 TOUR victories, 1 major)

Davis Love will be a future Ryder Cup captain. And he will most likely go in the Golf Hall of Fame. 4th career money list, 6 Ryder Cup teams, 6 Presidents Cup teams.

Where do you put his career again????

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2006, 10:29:54 AM »
That is a lot of crap........please then tell me where you factor the following in relation to Davis (18 TOUR victories, 1 major, 1 PLAYERS):

Colin Montgomerie (0 TOUR victories, 0 majors)
Fred Couples (15 TOUR victories, 1 major, 1 PLAYERS)
Greg Norman (20 TOUR victories, 2 majors, 1 PLAYERS)
Stuart Appelby (8 TOUR victories)
Tom Lehman (5 TOUR victories, 1 major)
Paul Azinger (12 TOUR victories, 1 major)

Davis Love will be a future Ryder Cup captain. And he will most likely go in the Golf Hall of Fame. 4th career money list, 6 Ryder Cup teams, 6 Presidents Cup teams.

Where do you put his career again????

Mike,

You put Players by Couples, Norman and Love, why not Tour Championship, by Lehman? Either it is a major or it isn't. Lehman belongs nowhere near this list, first of all. Either does Azinger. We are talking about talent, those guys had guts, not talent. I put his career right with the other guys, a product of the 80's and 90's, soulless golfers that don't produce. Fortunately, Woods doesn't care what he is on the money-list. Love has more talent and game than anybody you mentioned. He has better fundamentals than everyone on Tour. He had a pro for a father, access all his life, talent and won at any early enough age and many times and he has not done a lot with it. He is not even in a conversation of good players anymore. I would say that he had somewhat less of a career than Andy North. ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:30:26 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2006, 10:32:16 AM »
The fact that you have to say most-likely go into the Hall of Fame is part of the problem. This guy's career was labeled hall of famer from the beginning.

PThomas

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2006, 10:40:28 AM »
if Davis could win another major I think he would most definitely be Hall of Fame

..but only 1 major???

I thought he would have won more than 1..Couples too
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2006, 10:51:34 AM »
I don't see where anyone other than Davis is capable of knowing whether or not he's lived up to his talent.

And Freddie has won 2 Players.

Tiger has warped everyone's perspective. Winning is nowhere near as easy as he makes it seem, unless you are otherworldly, as he is.

-----

Thanks, Paul & John, for the various updates, evaluations, and explanations. Paul, I eagerly await the photos of Cabo.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »
Players Championships aren't majors George!

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »
Didn't say it was! I was correcting whoever it was above that said Freddie won 1 Players.

Though I will add that I personally hold the Players in the same regard as the majors. It's not by accident that the PGA says it has the best field among majors, not the best field in golf.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2006, 11:07:12 AM »
Didn't say it was! I was correcting whoever it was above that said Freddie won 1 Players.

Though I will add that I personally hold the Players in the same regard as the majors. It's not by accident that the PGA says it has the best field among majors, not the best field in golf.

my mistake George

Jack probably hopes it gets considered a major sometime, cause that'll boost his total to 23!

paul cowley

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 11:10:36 AM »
BTW....Davis has won 2 Players....the last in spectacular fashion.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:11:14 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Young

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 11:45:59 AM »
It means that Love is done. He is winning his battle with John Daly as the most talented person never to really do anything near his ability.
Come on Glenn....you can't go after  Hills and now DL3....
This is about is designs and he has employees that are discussing this and they can't tell you to go jump.....start another thread on his playing if it needs discussing.....but no matter is said...if the guy is where he is...that says it all.
Take care,
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »
Come on Glenn....you can't go after  Hills and now DL3....
This is about is designs and he has employees that are discussing this and they can't tell you to go jump.....start another thread on his playing if it needs discussing.....but no matter is said...if the guy is where he is...that says it all.
Take care,
Mike

I agree, I am in the wrong. I never meant for the topic to change. It just still boggles that the mind, that he hasn't won 6 or 8. That is all.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:49:47 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back