News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Ohio Golf Association "Competition Ball"
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:02:19 PM »
There was much talk here earlier this year about the decision of the Ohio Golf Association to introduce a "competition ball" in some of their events this summer.

I am curious to know if -

1) Such a ball was introduced
2) What was the brand/model of the ball
3) Did the use of said ball impact play or scoring of the event(s).

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:02:45 PM by David_Tepper »

Bryan Izatt

Re:Ohio Golf Association "Competition Ball"
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:15:32 PM »
The tournament isn't until August 21, so there are no answers yet.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:38:25 AM »
Bryan - go for it !  Hit all your drives like Royal Dornoch #1 & #18.  You can be our judge as to the sucess or failure of this experiment.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 10:22:36 AM »
Willie,

I'll watch with interest to see what the results of the "experiment" are although I have my doubts about its usefulness as an experiment.

As much as I remember the drives on those two holes, there are so many other compelling memories of links golf over the last 2 weeks.  Even the 7 iron second on the 18th or the 16th at Dornoch. Certainly, watching a striped 3 iron at the Road Hole bounce and roll its way around the ridge on the right front edge of the green eventually into the Road Hole Bunker was very entertaining, and as much of a memory.  I have to get those pictures up on here.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
I give them lots of credit for at least trying to do something
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:58:56 AM »
I too am interested in what ball they chose. I was just looking at the previous thread the other day with the intention of bumping it up two weeks before the event, because their press release said they would be providing the tournament ball to the competitors two weeks before the event. I had predicted it would be a green lettered Slazenger from GB.

Anyone heard yet what the ball will be?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JSlonis

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »
Here is a link to some info.  There is no word yet on what ball will be chosen.  Apparently it'll be a ball that is on the already approved list of the USGA.  I would imagine it will be some sort of low compression ball, probably geared toward women or senior players, or those with lower overall swing speeds.

http://www.ohiogolf.org/tournaments/applications/2006/OGAChampions.pdf

Over the last 5 years or so, I've gotten to know and have played with Alan Fadel of the OGA.  Besides being an outstanding amateur player, he is a gentleman with sincere concern for the future of our game.  I saw him about a month ago here in NJ, and at that time, he mentioned to me that he was aware of the previous thread, and the comments on GCA regarding this issue.  It should be very interesting to see the outcome of this tournament and what impact it will have on any future competitions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 12:51:13 PM by JSlonis »

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »
JSlonis -

Thanks for posting that link. I presume they will announce what ball will be used at least a week or two before the event, so that entrants will have some time to practice with the ball before the tournament.

If you happen to see the announcement, please link it to this thread if you can. Thanks again.

DT

JSlonis

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »
David,

I will post it if I hear.  I have an idea of what ball they'll be choosing, but I heard the info 2nd hand.  Since I'm not 100% sure, and it's really not public info yet, it would be best for me to not speculate.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »
There is an article in the new issue (August 11) on page 13 about the Ohio competition ball. It appears this will be a privately labeled ball, with no commercial markings. The manufacturer of the ball is not named. It is described as "a 3-piece, very high-spin, very low-compression" model. The ball was submitted for USGA approval earlier this year.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 06:36:17 PM »
If they submitted for approval, was it approved? Is it in the approved ball list from the USGA?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Craig Sweet

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »
I think we should put governors on our cars as well....many of our classic roads are just not ment to be driven by todays auto's...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 07:08:05 PM »
Craig,

I think your analogy is wrong. OGA is providing everyone a miata to drive as fast, as far, and as crooked as they wish.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »
Garland -

Yes, the article says the ball went on the USGA approved list in June and Alan Fadel, of the Ohio Golf Assoc. is quoted as saying, "In fact, I believe it (the ball) may have been used on a pro tour this year."

My strong guess is that this is a commercially made, off the shelf, low-compression ball (such as the Precept Lady) produced by one of the big manufacturers that is simply being privately labled for this OGA event. I cannot imagine the OGA is absorbing the expense of having a ball produced separately and specifically to their specifications.

However, I could be dead wrong about this.

DT

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:39:14 PM by David_Tepper »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 08:35:16 PM »
If the OGA were having a special ball made, I believe there would have to be some obvious entry in the conforming ball list. E.g.
NO LOGO ... Ohio Golf Association

The three piece construction rules out my guess of the Green Slazenger logo "Spin" ball.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:36:09 PM by Garland Bayley »

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 09:53:22 PM »
Maybe the new version of the Titleist DT SoLo? However, I can't find out the ball specs from the Titleist website.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »
David, I don't think the DT Solo is likely to be a "very high spin" ball.  Unless DT doesn't mean what it used to in the Titleist line back when I played the Tour Balata ;)  Sometimes I'd play a found DT on a water hole or hole I was likely to lose a ball if I was having a bad day and/or was running low on balatas with scuffs, smiles, road rash, tree gash, sand splash, etc.  Damn the DT was terrible around the greens compared to a Tour Balata, only marginally better than a Rock Flite.  And the worst thing was that it was still possible to cut clean through the cover with a bad enough wedge shot.  They sure have improved golf ball covers immeasurably in the past 20 years!!

I think we should put governors on our cars as well....many of our classic roads are just not ment to be driven by todays auto's...

We do have 'em.  Most cars have a limiter that prevents them from going faster than 130, and even ultra high performance cars like an Audi RS4, BMW M5, Porsche 911 etc. have the limiter set at 155.  One of the reasons people replace their engine chips in such cars (other than the 5 extra horsepower you might get in a non-turbo model) is that the speed limiter is disabled which is handy for those who want to take it to the track, or feel that twice the speed limit is too damn slow!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 12:55:03 AM »
Seems unlikely that it's the So-Lo.  Here are the specs from the USGA site:

Titleist white 2P-SC-1c L-M 392 UNITED STATES Acushnet Company
? DT So/Lo ‚ (DT / in red) (? ‚ So Lo in blue)

Titleist white 2P-SC-1c L-M 392 UNITED STATES Acushnet Company
? DT--So/Lo ‚ (DT -- / in red) (? ‚ So Lo in blue)

They're both 2 piece and the L-M means spin off the driver is low and off the 8 iron is medium.  So they don't seem to fit the bill spin-wise off the driver either.

The Precept Lady doesn't appear to be it either.  They're 2-piece and L-L spin balls.

None of the balls that are High spin off the driver are known to me, at least. They're all far east balls.

The only one that is H-H and 3 piece is:

Tri Cyber with red symbol white 3P-SC-2c H-H 414 KOREA Seoul Nassau Co. Ltd.
?3PC Nassau

Somebody mentioned on here that the spin characterisitics are the manufacturer's claim as opposed to USGA measured.  Perhaps that explains the lack of advertised H-H balls.  Who'd claim a high spin ball off the driver these days.

Known (to me) brands that are M-H spin 3 piece balls include several Srixon models, some Wilson Staff, and some Volvik Crystals.  I guess if it's Volvik it'll be obvious.  Any other ball privately labelled might be tough to determine.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 01:01:09 AM »
Will the players get to practice with the ball before the tournament(s)?

noonan

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 03:00:20 AM »
The course is a relatively new links track.

Alfie

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 09:26:36 AM »
This is the wrong course for this experiment, I have played it 40 times, it will not make a dent of difference. You can drive it anywhere you want there.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 09:28:52 AM »
Glenn, Is that a flaw in the course?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 09:49:55 AM »
I don't think so. If I was involved with this experiment, I would think that this would be one of the last courses in Ohio that I would use.

The par 5 3rd is tight off the tee with a creek left and a pocket of trees on the right. It gets tighter and tighter as you get closer to the green. It is 500 yards and the second shot to the green, is always a case of, ' I am either going to make 3,4 or 7.' The spin could, could be an issue on 5 on the tee shot. 8 is a gambler par 4 and it might cause players to lay-up because there is high stuff to the right. 10 is an iron regardless of what ball you are hitting, the rest of the course is wide open.

I could see the ball making about a half shot difference in the scoring per round. I think this will be a detriment to people that want the ball changed. The problem is the OGA has never played an event here. The Miami Valley Golf Association has, but that is a slightly less-talented field and the scores should be better here. The OGA field sounds like it is an older one though.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 10:24:54 AM »
The pictured ball at GS's website looks very much like a Slazenger DC Tour, which was a multi-component, 3 piece ball that had good distance, good feel, and a good amount of spin; especially off the clubface of better players.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back