News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

The Rawls Course: Unbelievably firm and fast right now
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »
If you want to play some extreme firm and fast golf, go play The Rawls Course in Lubbock, TX before the current drought gets broken.

I played there last week in a U.S. Am qualifier and the fairways were the firmest and fastest I have ever played--far beyond what I've ever experienced on links courses or anywhere else.

The amount of roll that the ball was getting was amazing--380-yard drives downwind, 325-yard drives into the wind, and 290-yard irons off the tee. Three par fours--#1, #7, and #11--were driveable, although it wasn't possible to actually keep it on the 1st green because of the slope.

Yet it was windy enough that the course could still defend itself, as 4-under for 36 holes was medalist. But in a tournament played there (the West Texas Amateur, a mid-level state championship) a couple weeks ago, the wind didn't blow and the winning score (by a 54-year-old, not a college kid) was 19-under for 3 rounds, including a 63 the last day, with several others double-digits under par. No wind + firm/fast fairways + soft greens (when it's 100 degrees every day, you have to keep them watered) = low scores.

So wind or no wind, The Rawls Course is especially fun to play right now. [As an aside, I know there are many on here who want to reign in the distance the ball travels, but seeing the ball fly a long way (3200 feet altitude), land and kick up dust, and then roll 80-100 yards, is pretty fun!]

bakerg

Gary_Mahanay

Re:The Rawls Course: Unbelievably firm and fast right now
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »
Chris,

How hard do you figure the wind was blowing the day you played?  15 - 25 mph. ?  Was there blowing dust or was the air relatively clear?

Gary

CHrisB

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 07:09:57 PM »
Gary,
The wind varied from 10-15 mph from the south until later in the afternoon when a front started to blow in and it became ~20 mph from the north.

The air was clear and it was a pleasant day to play (but quite hot until the front started to push through).

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 10:21:14 PM »
I played it fast and firm and in a 30 mph wind in March:

http://jayflemma.blogspot.com/2006/03/rawls-course-at-texas-tech-university.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back