News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Hope Valley Country Club-Durham, NC
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:54:04 PM »
Anyone had a chance to play here? I understand that it's a Donald Ross course that was restored in 2002 by Brian Silva. It consists of bentgrass greens, zoysia tees and bermuda fairways. It's not overly long either at 6,600 yds...Any help would be great. Thanks

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

David_Madison

Re:Hope Valley Country Club-Durham, NC
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »
Tony,

I live in nearby Chapel Hill and have played the course. It is a very enjoyable course, with a few really tough holes that will truly test you and a bunch of others that require smart play. The yardage is deceiving; it plays a good deal longer than 6600. The course has a wonderful superintendent, and each time I've played it the course has been in good shape, with excellent greens. The restoration seems to have been a great success. If you are going to be in the area and want some company, I'd love to join you.

A.G._Crockett

Re:Hope Valley Country Club-Durham, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:49:14 PM »
I've played Hope Valley many times, dating back about 20 years which goes back before several major projects, including a renovation by Brian Silva a couple of years ago.  It is a Ross course built in 1926.  It still has the original routing, and was one of the venues in Byron Nelson's string of 11 straight tour wins.  There is a great story that I've written here before about the 11th hole being on Nelson's list of his favorite 18 holes, and a creek that ran down the right side of the hole subsequently being piped.  Hogan supposedly played an exhibition there later, noticed the now-piped creek, was told that the greens committee had made the decision, and promptly told them that they had screwed up a great hole.

It's a terrific course; great green complexes with lots of contour, very good par 4's, and lengthy par 3's.  It is a par 70, with only 1 par 5 on each side, so I think you'll find that the yardage of 6625 plays more like 7000 or so.  The 18th is a par 3 that plays 210 from the back.

The club replaced their old common bermuda fairways about 10 years ago.  Silva's project returned the greens to their original sizes and rebuilt bunkers.  He also took out several bunkers that had been added over the years by various greens committees.

If you play there, you'll find the conditions to be immaculate, the walk very enjoyable, and the membership very friendly.  I hope you have a great time.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back