News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Access, money, etiquette and common sense
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2006, 03:04:07 PM »
I have hosted about five folks at my clubs from GCA and am glad to do it.  They all have been cordial and I am the happier for having met them.  It is one thing to play a course where I belong.  It is another thing to ask to ask for access to courses where I may have a connection.  That gets a little more intrusive.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Klein

« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2006, 03:10:58 PM »
No, no, Sean, I understood and meant not any criticism at all. All I was trying to say, like you, is that it's wonderful that so many fine courses like Pennard are available to the public.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:11:11 PM by Brad Klein »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2006, 10:35:17 PM »
I'm just another American golf traveler when in GB and it worked fine when access was available to anyone else in the public sphere, and I gladly paid at Westward Ho and Tenby as well.
Does that work at Muirfield?

In my experience they just seemed... disinterested as to whether you played there or not. They may exhibit a similar lack of interest as to whether you are Brad Klein or not...   On the other hand they would probably have a great deal of interest in whether you were Ron Whitten or not. ;)
Next!

Brad Klein

« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2006, 10:49:26 PM »
Some places don't care. I much prefer those places.

Last (first) I played Muirfield was in 1980, and I think I paid 10 Pounds, having written months before hand. After golf and lunch I went over to the offices of the club secretary, the legendary Capt. P.W.T. Hamner, Ret., and asked (it was a quiet Tuesday afternoon) if I might be allowed the honor of walking the course. He went immediately to the files, produced my letter and the accompanying letter of introduction from my mentor, and thundered, "There's nothing in here about an afternoon walk. I'm sorry, but no, we can't allow it." And that was that. Very humbling. It was their course, his course, and that was that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:51:03 PM by Brad Klein »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:26 PM »
Brad,

Do go to the archives and read my take on Paddy Hamner. Although I had on the right tie and was never put at unease by him, I felt that his bullying of Americans was a disgrace.

After seing an American woman reduced to tears I came back to MPCC and demanded of our board that the Professional would allow no member of the Hon. Coy. of Edinburgh Golfers access to MPCC.

I hear all sorts of pithy comments about his pseudo irrascibilty, but quite frankly, he was a prick.

Bob

Gene Greco

« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2006, 03:22:37 AM »
I hear all sorts of pithy comments about his pseudo irrascibilty, but quite frankly, he was a prick.

Bob

Bob:

Contrast the stories of Paddy Hamner with our own experience.

Driving down from St. Andrews we encountered morning traffic in Edinbugh. Realizing we were not going to make our tee time(s) at Muirfield we called ahead simply to ask if we should just turn our car around.

We spoke with Hamner's replacement, a woman, who pleasantly stated she would give us a different tee time - no problem.

Based on the reputation of said "prick" we were in shock and went on to spend a glorious day at Muirfield.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 03:24:07 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

ForkaB

« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2006, 03:37:14 AM »
Paddy Hamner was never a prick to me, but that might just have been professional courtesy.......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back