News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Curtis Cup at Bandon/Pacific Dunes this weekend
« on: July 25, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »
Anybody attending this event this weekend, hopefully we will get a report of how the course was received by the players. How is the weather up there right now? Will the course be too tough if the wind blows? Are conditions similar to Hoylake at all, will it play firm and fast? It will be televised by the Golf Channel, will there be any interviews with the designer, Tom? Since I have not seen the course in person yet, I am excited to see it, even on TV.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

Re:Curtis Cup at Bandon/Pacific Dunes this weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 06:12:12 PM »
Is there such a thing as too tough a course for match play?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 06:45:52 PM »
The weather at Bandon for the past 7 days has been great. A couple of time you get a 3 club wind, but most is either 1 or 2, very manageable.

The course is playing very fair and I do not expect the gals to get beat up
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:56:21 PM »
Here's a quick report filed between Curtis Cup preparation tasks;  

The wind came up big yesterday (monday)....4 clubs or so.
Also yesterday was the first day of practice rounds and the first look at Pac Dunes and the resort by the GBI team.

Putting in the afternoon winds reportedly problematic for some of the players.

Golf course simply beautiful right now, ready to dial in for the weekend...........great work by Jeff Sutherland and his staff.

Three clubs this afternoon..........just right.

Tom
the pres

Tim Taylor

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »
What network is carrying this on TV?

Tim

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:59 PM »
Tom,
Thanks for the report - how are the greens rolling?  Are they having difficulty because of the contours alone, or have they been brought to a speed which makes certain surfaces and pin positions borderline unputtable?

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 02:41:34 AM »

Tim

Here is a link to the official website with the info:

http://www.curtiscup.org/news/fact-sheet.html
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 01:23:23 AM »
Tom,
Thanks for the report - how are the greens rolling?  Are they having difficulty because of the contours alone, or have they been brought to a speed which makes certain surfaces and pin positions borderline unputtable?

Ryan, I played Pacific Dunes last week and the greens were actually a bit slow.  I'm sure the super is getting ready to roll and double cut for the girls.  There are some wild places to cut the holes but it should work out for match play competition.  If the 4 club winds hold, I wouldn't look for any OTT hole locations.  It will be tough enough with them!

The course was in great condition although sand had blown out of some of the more exposed bunkers such as the far left side of #3 fairway.....wish I'd avoided that one.  :-\

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 01:51:59 AM »
Which tees are they playing for the Curtis Cup?  How long is the course for them?  

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 10:27:39 AM »
Jim,

Go the fact sheet that Doug posted for the answers to your questions.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 10:32:23 AM »
Thanks Tom, I think it will be a great event. One needs the greens to be a bit slow if the wind is really blowing just to keep the ball in place. It will be great fun to watch them play this great course. Our girls managed the course nicely the week of the 4th of July, but the wind was down then.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 12:19:45 PM »
Tim

It is on the Golf Channel Sat. and Sun. evening.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »
Which tees are they playing for the Curtis Cup?  How long is the course for them?  

6200+ yards could play pretty long for them if the wind is up.  Or, at least I'd like to think so because the green tees usually offer all I can handle in the afternoon winds.  

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »
Thursday early afternoon.....another day of strong winds, three clubs or so.  

Yardage is about 6200 yards, with 18 playing downwind at 575, 6 at 276 (I think), 9 playing into each green on successive days, and 10 from each tee on successive days.

Greens at about 9 on the stimp, with the wind effectively speeding them up.....balls rolling off the edges as the wind has it's way.

GBI players really working on the short shots today at the practice center.

Some clouds, some sun....about 65 to 70.

Just right!!

Tom
the pres

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 03:49:52 PM »
Thanks Tom, Please keep us posted.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 11:39:46 AM »
Saturday Morning Curtis Cup;

After a week of strong winds each day and through each night, after preparations, parties, practice, and a truly beautiful opening ceremony last evening, this morning and the opening matches have been greeted by a glistening stillness here at Bandon Dunes.

Not a breath of wind...........

Several hundred spectators seeing the first matches out....the course perfectly firm, the greens with a decent speed for the players.

Tom

the pres

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 12:37:11 PM »
Saturday Morning Curtis Cup;

After a week of strong winds each day and through each night, after preparations, parties, practice, and a truly beautiful opening ceremony last evening, this morning and the opening matches have been greeted by a glistening stillness here at Bandon Dunes.

Not a breath of wind...........

Several hundred spectators seeing the first matches out....the course perfectly firm, the greens with a decent speed for the players.

Tom

TJ, you are a lucky man!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 01:13:50 PM »
Some interesting quotes about the course from the GB&I team:

In June, a week after the team was selected, O’Sullivan took her crew to Kingsbarns in Scotland (near the Old Course at St. Andrews) for four days to emulate Pacific Dunes’ hilly and blustery conditions. As well-intentioned as that practice time was, it still wasn’t Pacific Dunes, which O’Sullivan adores because “all 18 holes offer an individual challenge.”

At no time this week has the GB&I squad played 36 holes on any given day. That was by design, O’Sullivan
said, for a couple of reasons: she believes that anytime an amazing golf course is played for the first time, she wants the initial thoughts to be burned into memory, and secondly, she didn’t want to fatigue anyone.
Semple Thompson has advocated the same approach, limiting the number of practice rounds this week.

Eighteen-year-old Breanne Loucks of Wales and Tricia Mangan, 32, of Ireland, both are excited to be appearing in their first Curtis Cup for the GB&I team. It will be Loucks’ first time playing in the United States. Both echoed the same thoughts.

“On the photos it looked much different … it looks much trickier,” said Loucks, the 2005 North Wales champion. “And it looks much tighter. But when we came out here, it’s actually much prettier that what I expected, personally.”

Said Mangan: “Like anything, you don’t believe anything until you see it. But, yeah, it’s a fantastic course and definitely exceeded my expectations. … I played a lot of links golf and this is as tough as I’ve played.”

It also could play to their advantage that Pacific Dunes is an imaginative shot-maker’s dream, not to mention that it resembles the true links layouts the players see in Ireland and Scotland. Semple Thompson didn’t necessarily disagree, making a modest attempt to remain coy in an event that offers up more cat-and-mouse concealments than CIA operatives.

“I think the venue is more of an equalizer,” said Semple Thompson. “And certainly if the weather were really severe, that could be an equalizer.

“I think that it would be considered an odd venue for us to have an advantage. And I don’t think we have an advantage. But I think that the strength of the team is such that we’re going to play well enough to win.”

If the Americans are to win a fifth straight match, they’ll have to manage their games conservatively. There’s little argument that strong breezes off the Pacific Ocean will wreak havoc with some shots. The beauty of Pacific Dunes is that it isn’t target golf; extra rolls are expected, and so are the unfortunate hops that come with firm and fast fairways. Semple Thompson has made it clear that her players should “expect bad bounces.”

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Doug Wright

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »
The USA team is off to a strong start--swept the morning foursomes matches, including two closing birdies on 18 to clinch a 2 up win and to win match 3:

http://www.curtiscup.org/scoring/round1.htm

The USA team in the second match won the 4th hole with a double bogey 6--I can sympathize with the GBI gals there... :P

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 03:42:53 PM »
The morning foursomes got the gift of a brilliant calm morning, with the wind freshening only in the last hour of play.
Now, at lunchtime, it's at 2 or so clubs....maybe more on the headland holes.

I would guestimate 500 or so spectators out for the morning matches, with a large and colorful contingent from Britain/Ireland.

Strong opening play from Paige MacKenzie and Amanda Blumenherst; one of their caddies said he "just got out of the way, and let her go."

Tom

the pres

Doug Wright

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 03:57:06 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for keeping us posted! I was very impressed with Paige MacKenzie when she was here in Denver for the US Womens Open in 2005. She qualified at my club and then tied for 13th in the open at Cherry Hills.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 04:00:08 PM by Doug Wright »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 07:03:36 PM »
I am practically giddy over the footage that just came on.

Pac Dunes looks phenomenal on TV
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 09:27:55 PM »
Damn Golf Channel.  After seeing Laura go ga-ga, looks like we'll be heading out sooner than we can really afford.

But so what, I friggin' LOVE the place!!!!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 09:49:48 PM »
I really hope we get to see some of the front nine tomorrow.

Also, wonder if any matches are going to make it to 18!

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »
Wow.  I had no idea the course could look that easy, but there was just a bit of wind, actually the right amount to help you stop on the holes into the wind without making the downwind holes tougher.

Some great play this afternoon, lots of birdies on 9-10-11-12.  And some great recovery play out of the bunkers, those shots were harder than they look on TV.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back