News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Why do we like the British Open so much ?
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »
the greens can't get any faster, nor can the approaches get any firmer or faster, so why bother contemplating what happens if they did?

Sure they could get faster, but at the expense of firmness - more water + tighter mowing: the US formula for faster and less firm.

I don't think that's correct.  Fescue doesn't work that way.

TH

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »
John Betjeman - Seaside Golf  

How straight it flew, how long it flew,
It clear'd the rutty track
And soaring, disappeared from view
Beyond the bunker's back -
A glorious, sailing, bounding drive
That made me glad I was alive.

And down the fairway, far along
It glowed a lonely white;
I played an iron sure and strong
And clipp'd it out of sight,
And spite of grassy banks between
I knew I'd find it on the green.

And so I did. It lay content
Two paces from the pin;
A steady putt and then it went
Oh, most surely in.
The very turf rejoiced to see
That quite unprecedented three.

Ah! Seaweed smells from sandy caves
And thyme and mist in whiffs,
In-coming tide, Atlantic waves
Slapping the sunny cliffs,
Lark song and sea sounds in the air
And splendour, splendour everywhere.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

ed_getka

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2006, 02:10:38 PM »
Padraig,
   Thanks for sharing that.

George and Tom,
    The real reason they want to keep the grass alive at Hoylake is because of the distinguished guests coming in the fall. :) They could care less about some spoiled rich, professional golfers. ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:11:03 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2006, 02:11:52 PM »
George and Tom,
    The real reason they want to keep the grass alive at Hoylake is because of the distinguished guests coming in the fall. :) They could care less about some spoiled rich, professional golfers.

Who's going in the fall?  I know all about a bunch of yahoos connected to this site... you can't really mean them, can you?

TH

ps - envy does promote bitterness.  >:(

Paul_Turner

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2006, 02:36:09 PM »
I agree with John, I'd like to see the greens a bit faster too (if it's possible).
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »
Paul - as would we all, I think.

The question remains is it possible?  From all I know, I really don't think it is.

But any and all supers or those with better knowledge, I'd appreciate some education....

Tim Pitner

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2006, 05:15:45 PM »
Hoylake's are at 10ish (a perfect speed IMO - but I do wonder if this is a bit of a porky pie because they didn't look a bit over 8.5ish on Wednesday) and they are not bobbling a millimeter.  There is absolutely nothing to complain about.  From my POV the greens at Hoylake are rolling far better than those at Winged Foot.  

Sean, I tend to agree with you, but "porky pie"--how long have you been over there?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2006, 05:23:38 PM »
Tim
I was thinking the exact same thing. The boy is definitely 'going native'. (ask Mr Huntley!!!) Although he's no' a bad lad fur a J. Arthur... ;)

Maybe we should start a thread debating what the optimum time one should spend in the Auld Sod might actually be...?

;D
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
The U.S. government (along with others) is presently engaged in rescuing its citizens from Lebanon.  Perhaps some resources could be diverted to the Midlands to save Sean.  Extensive re-indoctrination into American culture may be requried.  Needless to say, any sayings resembling "porky pie" will have to be erased.  

Martin,

J. Arthur?  

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2006, 01:08:33 PM »
Tim,
in reply to 'porky-pie' - 'Lie'.

'J. Arthur': Short for J Arthur Rank - big entertainment company here in the UK for many years. Used as rhyming slang for either:
1. An American (Yank)
or:
2. A self-abuser (W...)
Sometimes, of course, the two can be quite indistinguishable!! ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »
It has always been my favorite golf tournament to watch.  I only wish they played the tournament during a month when the weather is less benign.  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »
I was watching today's round with a good number of golfers.

One stated that the golf course was a "cow pasture"

I asked him why he thought so.
He said because it's not green, it's brown and yellow with a little green.

I asked him how bad could the fairways be if the announcers declared that the fairways were putting faster than the greens ?

Another fellow said I wish we could get our fairways like that because we don't get any roll.

I explained that our fairways used to get like that every August before we installed an automated irrigation system.

Others said, how could we get our fairways like that.
I responded that this year, Mother Nature would prevent that, but, by weening the golf course off water over the next three years, we could return our fairways to the yellowish-brownish-greenish colors they used to be when the golf course was maintained fast and firm.

The difficulty is getting the "will of the membership" to understand and endorse those conditions.

With a golf course designed in the late 20's, it was meant to be played fast and firm.

Tom Doak had an interesting point about the difference between the ball NOT stopping where it lands, and golf in the U.S.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2006, 05:48:25 PM »
Hoylake is like moonscape.  It was like my home course for many years in the 1980's.  I love to play there.  

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2006, 09:10:57 PM »
Because it is such a refreshing change from the sh1t that the US Tour dishes up every other week.
Is the European Tour any better?  Look at where they play versus the courses that would be available to play events in places like Scotland, Ireland and England.  Just like the US PGA tour the European tour plays zero events on links courses (unless you consider the Dunhill a European Tour event).  

They have two events in Ireland but play at the K Club and Carton House???

They have two events in Scotland and play at Loch Lomond and Gleneagles???  These courses are OK but not where I would choose to play such events.

Tim Bert

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2006, 01:44:27 AM »
Because dormant grass looks even cooler in HD!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2006, 07:45:58 AM »
How dramatically would a club and a half wind have affected the scoring at Hoylake ?

And, would it have caused Tiger and others to use their driver more often ?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2006, 09:13:18 AM »
If Tiger was more confident with his driver he would be using it regardless of the wind.  I will also say that this course is not like Muirfield where cross hazards might force some golfers to lay back.  I can't think of one hole at Hoylake where that is the case.  Tiger is playing to his strengths (the driver is not one of them right now) and he is calculating the risk reward based on how accurate he is with certain clubs.  If the wind comes up, he will adjust his club selection to get into those same positions.  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 09:20:30 AM by Mark_Fine »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back