News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

FYI - The Open in High-Def
« on: July 20, 2006, 07:15:18 AM »
FYI, the Thursday and Friday rounds are being telecase in high-def on TNT-HD.  (If you have DirecTV, it's on channel 75)

Hoylake looks fantastic!

Brent Hutto

Re:FYI - The Open in High-Def
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:41:55 AM »
Is it stretched or is it actual widescreen pictures from the source?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:54:40 AM »
Brent,

High-def broadcasts are always widescreen (16:9).

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:08:13 AM »
Brent,

Spoken as if by someone who does not own a high-def TV.

Some networks take a standard-definition picture and stretch it to HDTV dimensions.  TNT is unfortunately one of those networks.  I'm Tivoing today's broadcast, so I won't know until some time tonight.

But I hope that it looks better than the usual British Open broadcast.  I read an article years ago that explained why they always look so washed out, and why the ball in flight seems to flutter back and forth, with shadows.  It has something to do with the real-time translation between the European PAL broadcast technology (25 frames/second, 625 lines of resolution) and the US NTSC (30 frames/second, 525 lines of resolution).

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:14:13 AM »
High Definition stations always broadcast their signal in HD but not all programming is filmed/recorded in HD.  As Martin mentioned some stations stretch it to the HDTV dimensions.

In either case, the picture is more clear than a non-HD transmission.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 09:19:42 AM »
I snuck a quick peek on the way out the day and, mirabile dictu, it is truly a widescreen picture. Looks quite nice.

I noticed the conversion artifacts that Scott mentions during breakfast when I was watching the Open on plain old television. I didn't see them on my brief check of the HD picture although I'd say it looks more like EDTV-ish quality than actual 1080i or, dare I hope, 720p. Clearly better than the regular TV picture, though.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 09:24:44 AM »
Brent,

Spoken as if by someone who does not own a high-def TV.

Some networks take a standard-definition picture and stretch it to HDTV dimensions.  TNT is unfortunately one of those networks.  I'm Tivoing today's broadcast, so I won't know until some time tonight.

Wrong.  I do have a 50-in HD TV.  A stretched-SD broadcast is not an HD broadcast.   It's SD on an HD network, which I don't consider HD, because, well, it's not.  I said an "HD broadcast", which I consider a show taped/filmed in HD, which is always widescreen.

Although I'm still not sure how they show old movies in HD (and it is HD-quality, not SD), even though HD wasn't around then.  Maybe movies are different.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:34:04 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 10:45:36 AM »
The TNT-HD broadcast of the Open is a widescreen European format (576i/50Hz) upconverted to 1080i/60Hz by TNT.

It looks better than an upconverted and stretched NTSC signal (480i), but is no true HD (defined as a program CAPTURED in at least 720p).

Still, in absence of true HD that is probably the next best thing.

Saturday and Sunday ABC will upconvert 576i/50Hz to 720p.

The video geeks among us can then compare the upconversion quality and motion artifacting (judder) of 1080i vs 720p!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:55:40 AM »
is anyone broadcasting this over the internet?

bbc.co.uk, but only in the UK.

They say that they can't stream it worldwide because of distribution rights.

Darn.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 10:56:53 AM »
VW,

That would have been my guess. In my three-minute peek before leaving home, it looked noticably better than upconverted NTSC but obviously no-way actually 720p or 1080i native.

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »
720, 721, whatever it takes.

It's always comforting to me to know that I geeky as I fear I am, there's always my gca friends, who make me seem almost normal by comparison.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 10:59:21 AM »
Dan, thank you for the info. The directv guys still do not have my high def box working right. My daughter has a project today.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 02:55:08 PM »
Hey Bill,

I'm out. No way I can compete with a 50-incher...my driver ain't even that long!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 02:55:24 PM by Brent Hutto »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »
All I know is that it looked damn good this morning on my Sony 34" direct view (picture tube) HDTV set.

Not all the cameras are HD, but from what I saw, there are more HD cameras being used than was the case at The Masters.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »
HOw about that?  An HDTV pissing match, what a surprize.  :)
I'm out. No way I can compete with a 50-incher...my driver ain't even that long!

And no, I'm not trying to compensate for anything ;)...golfing ability maybe....

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »
As was mentioned above this is in a European widescreen format.  BBC does much of their programming in widescreen that is technically not HD but it is better than the SD that we get in North America.  Therefore it is not being stretched - in fact those of you without HD are watching a cropped picture.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 05:42:44 PM »

Not all the cameras are HD, but from what I saw, there are more HD cameras being used than was the case at The Masters.

How can you tell an HD camera (1080i) signal from 576i upconverted to 1080i, on a 34" set?

Just curious.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
All of CBS' Masters coverage was HD this year, including handhelds. T'was not the case in years past.
The TNT/BBC coverage we're seeing is widescreen, not true HD, but dandy (technical term) nonetheless. Good to know ABC's going wide this year, as opposed to last year.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »
Sitting here at the moment watching the Open on my Sony 40" Bravia in hi def and it is fabulous. On regular TV you cannot make out the contouring on the links courses, it is just a blur of brown with a patch of green here and there. I would think that for the golfer who has never been over there, they will get a much better appreciation for links courses.

Bob J

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »
It's a crying shame that the BBC camera work is so horrid that it makes it nearly impossible to enjoy the telecast with such a tremendous leaderboard watching on a high-def tv with a crystal clear picture.
Still didn't miss nearly a shot...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back