News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Zeni

Faldo on Hoylake
« on: July 22, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »
This AM on his opening comments, other than the ones Faldo told about he and Tiger's meeting, said the course, referring to the grass,  is "dead."

Faldo broke the ice with Tiger on the practice tee by saying to him, you know, the odds are 25-1 that you deck me on the first tee. Tiger said he'd place 2 million on it. Faldo, pretending as if he had a calculator, said, if he took a mere 5% of the take, he'd make more than playing golf this week.

Got to admit, that's a great ice breaker.

Mark Arata

Re:Faldo on Hoylake
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:41:32 AM »
I think Tiger just uses stuff to get himself fired up, I doubt he would even waste his time to hold a grudge against a guy like Faldo, who is well past his prime.......Mickelson on the other hand.......

I have never seen a course that brown in my life, it looks pretty wild. I wonder how long it will take for them to recover, the pictures they showed in ABC's little piece about luck at the open looked like the course was in Ireland, it was so green, what time of the year do you think that would be?
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 10:51:37 AM »
I think Tiger just treats Faldo , the same way Faldo treated everyone when he was top dog .

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
Since this thread is hardly about Faldo on "Hoylake" I'll just toss this one in here since it's not worthy of a thread and it's non GCA related, but nonetheless...

Anyone else notice how awkward the post round interviews have been?  I don't know who is doing them, or if he normally does these things, but on at least 3 or 4 occasions from what I've seen there are just overly awkward questions/comments that really seem to make the guys flinch.

Just now, Mickelson's interview was concluded with Phil saying something to the extent of "there are birdies out there"

Interviewer:  Well Sergio shot 29 on the front today.........................................................I guess there are.

Yesterday with Tiger:

Interviewer:  "Well, here comes number 2 in a row..."
Tiger: (uncomfortably, and after a pause) "Yeah I guess we'll see what we can do)

Or that moment with DiMarco when Chris asked if he was talking to him now...suggesting that perhaps moments earlier there was an off-camera awkward moment when DiMarco thought he was being interviewed, but he wasn't.

James Edwards

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 11:37:47 AM »
Ryan,

and to continue this thread with another post... what channel was that interviewer from???
@EDI__ADI

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 12:19:55 PM »
I was fortunate to have lunch with Faldo @ the Plantation, the Saturday after this last Thanksgiving. It was literally minutes after he finished the Saturday Skins Game broadcast.

It was surreal too because we had just finished playing 18 at the Plantation, came in and the Saturday tournament was just ending on the TV. ("Box" for our UK and Aussie faithful) They signed off, and it wasn't 10 to 15 minutes later Faldo was walking through the door.

I find him to be an entertaining fellow, but also one where you completely understand why the ex-girlfriend put a pitching wedge through the window of his beloved Porsche. (this preportedly did happen)

Nick is a consumate professional--which should tell you exactly what he is like if you really understand how and what most professional golfers act like. You also get the understanding why he acts like it. I'm sure he was just as perplexed as I was, sitting there wondering why and how I'm having lunch with this chap, "How did I get here?" Well, you can at least understand Faldo's side of it, which was probably more of a, "What is he doing here?"

But if you ever want to see Nick Faldo beam with pride, ask him about his Irish island.

Suddenly it was if we became best friends. The place sounds very interesting as it's going to require a boat to get to and from. The clubhouse will be on the mainland side of things. He claims the dunes are of a quality that leaves him weary of trying to pick out the perfect routing.

There is something to be said about Nick Faldo. He is the only professional golfer I've ever seen on a golf course with a camera, as John Kirk can attest to later on in the day when we connected back up with him at Stone Eagle. That tells me something.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 12:47:10 PM »
Tommy,

So Mike Clayton is or was not a Pro golfer... ;)
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »
Brian:

Michael may indeed have a camera somewhere -- he certainly remembers courses well enough -- but I have yet to see him dig a camera out of the bag.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »
Tom,

So you are trying to tell me that on the whole US trip those years ago he never pulled a camera...?
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 06:13:56 PM »
Brian,
I have never had the good fortune to meet Mike in person. And you could be sure if I had, I would have included him in it. (If indeed he owns a camera)

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 03:25:46 AM »
Tommy.

I don't have a camera but everybody else in the company takes enough photos to cover me.
Brian,

Bruce Grant took all the photos on that 2002 trip.
I'm at Hoylake this week and Bruce was here on Saturday.
He is on a fantastic trip - RusticCanyon,SFGC,NGLA,Bethpage,
Atlantic, Chantilly.Morfontaine,Royal's Antwerp and Zoute,Nordwidjk,Brora,North Berwick,Ganton (today) and then West Sussex and a couple of others in London.
Also a check in with Don,Brian and Bruce at Renaissance in Gullane.

Steve Allan - Aust Open Champ 2003 - is a terrific photographer.Some of his work is in one of Paul Daley's books.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:32:14 AM by Mike_Clayton »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back