News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

heathland vs moorland
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:20:19 AM »
i know they're only labels and labels really mean nothing...

but what are the biggest distinguishing factors differentiating these types of courses... i'm thinking mainly in britain here...

...is it soil type? vegetation? does a moorland course effectively sit half way between a heathland and a parkland?... what do you think are the best examples of each?

(ridiculous question i know and i have my own thoughts but just interested to see how you all think / differ)

thanks,
ally

Marc Haring

Re:heathland vs moorland
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:39:17 AM »
I think the definition of heathland is simply that the predominant species are heather, erica and gorse. So moorland can be heathland as well. Generally though I would say that it is accepted that moorland occupies higher ground and is often located in an area of high rainfall with a peaty soil and few trees. I think Gleneagles Kings would be considered a bit of a crossover of the two. Can’t really think of too many really good pure moorland courses. Maybe Fowler’s Yelveton would be a good example.

Then of course, there’s downland!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 05:40:23 AM »
Some soil scientist will give us the chemical breakdown of the various soils, but it's a tricky one.  Some years ago on GCA we tried to identify all the true heathland courses in the British Isles and while there are obvious candidates for best heathland (Swinley, Sunningdale, Berkshire) and moorland (Gleneagles, Alwoodley) there are a great many courses which might be a bit of one or a bit of the other.  I played at Northumberland (lovely course) the other day and there was heather and gorse in abundance, but is it heathland?  It is crisp turf on quick-draining ground (reminding us of linksland) which is common to these different types of course, which brings into play also downland and gravel.  I think Royal Worlington is gravel-based yet it plays like a links, and Southerndown is downland and again rejoices in lovely turf and plenty of gorse.  There are lots of moorland courses up in the Pennines - none is great - but there is some cracking golf to be enjoyed at, say, Halifax (in truth there are some dull holes, but some snorters as well).  I suppose you'd have to describe Crowborough Beacon as downland, yet it's only a mile or two from, and on the same range of hills as, Royal Ashdown, and how would we define that?..... A minefield!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 06:58:41 PM »
I think downland is easy to pin-point, it has this chalky soil and plays like a links, when it's dry and like a parkland when it's wet :)

Moorland, well, there's the peaty soil, but doesn't it play like a parkland? So the actual question might be what's the difference between moorland and parkland?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Steve Okula

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 07:42:20 AM »
From the British and International Golf Greenkeepers Association, Master Greenkeeper Certificate, module examination syllabus:

"Heathland

"These courses have been formed in an artificial habitat, created many centuries ago, by clearing natural forest and introducing grazing. It was on these sites to the south and west of London that golf really became popular over 100 years ago, since the land offered was considered the nearest to traditional links. The soils tend to be poor and dry, often sandy in nature with a low pH. Rainfall also tends to be on the low side, and as a result, growth in general is fairly minimal. Fine-leaved indigenous bents and fescues predominate along with bell and ling heather and perhaps gorse and broom. Scrub birch and pine tend to encroach and a carefully balanced policy of conservation, not preservation is vital for the survival of these diminishing tracts of land."

and later in the text:

"Moorland

"They can often be described as upland heaths where low pH peaty soils have dried out or where acid mineral soils exist. These areas, mostly in northern England and Scotland were once covered by great tracts of forest. Many courses in this environment are treeless, windswept, and exposed to the elements, often with high levels of rainfall. The growing season is limited and snow often covers much of this land for several weeks in the year. Plant cover is dominated by the acid-loving heathers and bentgrasses along with wavy hair grass. Sedges may also grow when soil conditions are wetter."

The syllabus goes on to explain general course management strategies for each, and similarly covers parkland and links courses, as well.

So, according to the British greenkeepers, who should know, the two courses are similar with acid soil, bentgrass, and heather, but they differ in that the moorlands are colder, wetter, and have more organic matter or minerals in the soil, and the heathlands are more likely to be invaded by trees such as pine and birch.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back