News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re:Seve is playing in the Open!?
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2006, 09:54:14 AM »
Jim, did you happen to notice who's at the bottom of the leaderboard? Virtually all of the bottom 15 guys appear to be qualifiers (not that there's anything wrong with that... :)).

Let's see where Seve ends up before saying he doesn't deserve his exemption.

Tim Pitner -

If he never plays in The Open, it will still not change my mind that Bohn did what was right for himself. Don't forget, it was his first PGA Tour win, regardless of how minimal of an event you feel it is.

If you're going to crticise anyone, you should criticise the PGA Tour for scheduling an event opposite The Open. They are the ones chasing dollars, not Jason Bohn.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Pitner

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2006, 10:49:02 AM »
George,

I never said Bohn was chasing dollars.  I don't know what his reasoning is.  It could be money or money-related (such as earning enough to be exempt for next year), it could be to defend his title, it could be that he doesn't want to travel--who knows?  My point is that the Open is the biggest tournament in the world.  If you're a professional golfer, you have to play in it if you're exempt and you ought to try to qualify if you're not.  I agree that the PGA Tour shouldn't have an event opposite the Open.  I also think, though, that officials from the tournaments opposite the Open or opposite the WGC events understand when a player chooses to play in the more prestigous event, in this case (at least in my view and the majority of people around the world), the most prestigious event in golf.  You can't duck the Open.  

George Pazin

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Bohn did the honorable thing, and chose a once in a lifetime experience.

Call me crazy, but I think it's more prestigious to win any PGA Tour event than to simply qualify for The Open.

As an aside, I think Bohn's exempt through next year, with the 2 year exemption for winning, so I don't think he was trying to win $$ for that reason.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Pitner

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »
George,

My parting shot--Bohn could win the Open if he played in it; Americans like Curtis and Hamilton did.  It could define his career.  Like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play.  

George Pazin

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2006, 11:14:40 AM »
He could win it next year as well, but he can't defend last year's title next year, nor could he ever defend his first title again. That's a one and done deal.

If you'd care for one more parting shot, it's all yours. :)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2006, 11:27:49 AM »
George P:

I salute Jason's desire to close out the run of the BC event. He will have future opportunities with The Open. Geeze George -- we do agree -- not bad, huh? ;D

Mike Clayton:

Despite my not being in favor of Seve being at this year's event -- I am a huge fan from what he has done for golf. I posted such comments a good ways back when this thread started.

I don't doubt the man's greatness but like Sinantra there comes a time when you need to let someone else hold the tee or the microphone when singing.

DCronan:

Again -- with all respect -- you missed my point. The issue isn't about Seve getting exemptions as a past champ -- he's gotten them in spades since the last Open win at Lytham in '88. It's the idea that the R&A and this arcane 65 years old rule doesn't make sense for what a truly Open event should be IMHO.

One other thing - how about a statue of limitations on past champions? I mean Seve is simply milking the system for what the system provides. I have no quarrel with him except the fact that I would hope being the champion / gentleman he is would understand that his being at the event is nothing more than an ceremonial connection and taking a spot away from someone who could well be the next great golfer.

Eamon Lynch:

You must be confused -- major championship golf is about the GOLF -- if you want strictly speaking entertainment go to the lesser events where celebs of various stripes mix it up with the world's best. I view major championship golf to watch the best golfers NOW play -- not the ones who used to be at the level.

Adam:

Get a reality check man. I doffed my cap to the past champs but I am not kneeling in front of them as you and others are. They have had more than their share at a bite of the tournament apples -- it's time to move on and for them to take their rightful place as elder statesman who watch like all of us instead of actually playing.

Phil:

I simply said that you can provide a five year exemption to a winner of the event and if that person is still within the top 200 in the world they can still gain entry as a past champ. Snead was still competitive during the '74 PGA -- Seve has long since faded with his last win back in '95, if memory serves, in the Spanish Open -- not an event of distinction save for the home land connection.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »
It's the BC freaking Open.  No one cares!  Nor should they.  It's a third or fourth tier event on the PGA Tour that is full of tournaments that don't particularly matter.  Yes, I know, they pay well and matter to the communities and charities and all that, but in the larger scheme of things, they're blips on the radar screen.  

You simply have to play in the Open if you can--see the why we love the Open thread.  I never understood those people who won an event the week before the Open (like the John Deere), qualified for it, and then debated whether to go.  What, you have something better to do next week?  Come on, George, the Open is the Olympics of golf.  You don't miss it so you can enter the race down the street even if you won that race last year.  

George Pazin

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »
Drawing me back in....

The Olympics come once every 4 years. Defending your first PGA title - I don't care what the title is, it's still a PGA title - is a once in a lifetime thing. It's not at all comparable to winning a race in your backyard (unless your backyard is different than mine :)).

-----

Yep, Matt, it's nice to agree every now and then. But I disagree about Seve. :) He hasn't really "abused" his privilege, having opted out many times in recent years. And he's not embarassing himself on the course. And I doubt Snead would have still have ranking points if they did a ranking thing back then, so while he may have been competitive, the rankings system wouldn't have acknowledged it, so he probably wouldn't have qualified under your system.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:39:38 AM by George Pazin »

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2006, 11:45:12 AM »
I read in this morning's paper that Bohn said the British Open is his favorite major.  However, he felt that in its last year, the BC Open deserved the defending champion.  He believes he is doing his duty as he sees it which I applaud.
Steve Pozaric

Tim Pitner

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2006, 11:45:47 AM »
Drawing me back in....

The Olympics come once every 4 years.

Which is about how often Jason Bohn will be exempt into the Open.  

George Pazin

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »
Care to put a wager on that? :)

Steve summed it up rather well, nothing more I can add.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2006, 11:49:52 AM »
George:

Snead would have dominated the existing Champions Tour far beyond what Irwin has done and that is considerable. For Snead the opportunity to play high level golf lasted for longer than just about anyone else.

In regards to Seve -- he simply is no longer the same player. I don't doubt his PAST contributions and they have been rewarded accordingly.

Like Sinantra -- it's time to say it's one for the road now.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »
I read in this morning's paper that Bohn said the British Open is his favorite major.  However, he felt that in its last year, the BC Open deserved the defending champion.  He believes he is doing his duty as he sees it which I applaud.

Steve and George,

Would you applaud him for not playing in the Open if he were a more highly ranked player?  Should Justin Leonard have skipped the Open to defend his Texas Open title?  (I believe Leonard faced this decision when the Texas Open conflicted with the Open a few years ago).  No.  On some level, Bohn must believe he has little chance of winning the Open.  If he thought he could win, he'd go.  This isn't a good attitude to have as a competitor.  

George Pazin

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
Like Sinantra -- it's time to say it's one for the road now.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if he does that next year, after enjoying The Open at Hoylake with his son.

But I'm hoping he keeps coming back, if only to annoy you. :)

My point on Snead was simply that he might not have had the ranking points, not that he wasn't competitive. You suggested using the rankings as a measure of competitiveness. I only see one senior in the top 200 in the rankings, Loren Roberts, and he's only a recent senior. I'd guess his points are more from the PGA Tour.

Tim -

Leonard has won multiple events on Tour, won a major - THE OPEN! - played on Ryder Cups, and it was not the last year for the Texas Open. He's not even close to being in the same situation as Bohn.

First time winner + first time defender + last event played = choose to defend over playing in The Open.

If you can find another guy who faced that dilemma and chose otherwise, well, all I could say is it's his choice. Same thing with Bohn, it's his choice, and I believe he chose well.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:15:27 PM by George Pazin »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2006, 12:23:35 PM »
Leonard has won multiple events on Tour, won a major - THE OPEN! - played on Ryder Cups, and it was not the last year for the Texas Open. He's not even close to being in the same situation as Bohn.

First time winner + first time defender + last event played = choose to defend over playing in The Open.

If you can find another guy who faced that dilemma and chose otherwise, well, all I could say is it's his choice. Same thing with Bohn, it's his choice, and I believe he chose well.

If Bohn wants to play in the minor leagues his whole career, he chose very well.  If he had more sack, he would have played in the Open. ;)  I'm having some fun here, but there is some truth to that, I believe.

George Pazin

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »
I'm sure that some part of Bohn is disappointed he's not at The Open. Life's about making tough choices and living with the consequences. That doesn't mean he didn't really want to be there or that he's wussing out.

Now I'm going to try to bow out.

:)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2006, 12:37:17 PM »
Tim:  You are way off base telling guys where to play.

If this is really Bohn's only chance ever to play in The Open, then I guess he will think twenty years from now that he was stupid not to play.  But if he can't ever qualify again, it's hard to imagine that he was going to have much impact this year ... and if he can qualify again for several years, then missing this one to pay his respect to the B.C. Open is a classy gesture.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2006, 12:48:17 PM »
I'm sure that some part of Bohn is disappointed he's not at The Open. Life's about making tough choices and living with the consequences. That doesn't mean he didn't really want to be there or that he's wussing out.

Now I'm going to try to bow out.

Oh, now you're wussing out too?  I'm just kidding.  Let's let this one go.

Tom D,

I'm not saying playing in the BC Open isn't a classy gesture--it is and that's great for the BC Open.  But, if you're a professional golfer, shouldn't you want to play in the most important event in world golf?  I just don't understand declining to play in the Open or any major, really.  As far as Bohn's chances go, Curtis and Hamilton and Lawrie were long shots as well.  You never know.  If you're a tennis player, you don't decline to play Wimbledon; if you're a footballer, you don't opt out of the World Cup; if you're a cyclist, you don't skip out of the Tour de France . . .

Kirk Gill

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2006, 01:51:54 PM »
Can't the argument against allowing old champions who are past their prime to compete in The Open be applied to the courses where the tournament is played as well?

Take Matt's arguments and substitute "The Old Course" for "The Old Player," and you see what I mean.

Tradition means something. In this tournament like no other. Sometimes tradition is messy and rejects change. Sometimes the perfectly valid "new" is sacrificed at the altar of the mouldy, encrusted, "old." Sometimes that bothers me, and sometimes, like in this case, it doesn't.

As to Bohn, it seems to me that he's paying respect to an event that gave him his biggest paycheck as a professional. There's certainly reasons why he could have played in the British, but wasn't he basically paying respect to an employer? I can't blame him for that.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Greg Tallman

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »
Seve's contribution to the WORLD of golf is significant enough to justify his presence in virtually any event he wishes to show up.  

Jason Bohn not only did a classy thing but, being someone who may be conscious of every dollar, probably made a simple financial decision. I know that may not be popular with many on this site not all tour pros, even former winners, are flush with cash as many would have you think.

A great pairing at this open could have been:

Ian Baker Finch
Seve Ballesteros
David Duval

Tim Pitner

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »

Jason Bohn not only did a classy thing but, being someone who may be conscious of every dollar, probably made a simple financial decision. I know that may not be popular with many on this site not all tour pros, even former winners, are flush with cash as many would have you think.

Greg, actually, Bohn's decision seems to be popular with everyone on this site save me.  

Greg Tallman

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2006, 02:51:49 PM »
Tim, just assuming the "chase the dollar" concept would be frowned upon here... even from a youngish pro who stil needs to make ends meet.  

Kirk Gill

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2006, 02:52:11 PM »
What Bohn decided is debatable, for him. Like I said, I can't blame him.

At the same time, Tim - from my no-playin' spot on the couch, I must say that without a doubt I'd have dropped everything and anything to be able to say I played in an Open !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »
Now let's look ahead - all I can say is blow wind blow.  The leaderboard is fantastic and I would love to see the wind blow and some really creative shots.  Tiger has been playing great and only hit driver 4 times today and Ernie and a bunch of other guys are also playing well so it could be a very exciting weekend.  The only thing that could disappoint me is if we see a lot of 135 totals for the weekend.  So far the only thing that really hurt a player was landing in a bunker as they have been playing very well out of the rough.  Some dry, windy weather and some quirky bounces would be fun to watch.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2006, 03:03:37 PM »
Tim, just assuming the "chase the dollar" concept would be frowned upon here... even from a youngish pro who stil needs to make ends meet.  

Just for some perspective here, Jason Bohn has made just under $900,000 so far in 2006.  If he's not making ends meet, he's not trying very hard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back