News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_p

Re:Putting. Is there hope?
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »
   I went to a Pelz school a number of years ago and recommend going to one. Consider his training aids. Two major points.
   Most people use a putter that is too long and grip at the top. Assume your putting stance without the putter, then have someone slip the putter into your grip. It will usually be a few inches below the butt. Cut off the excess shaft length.
   Find the sweet spot by tapping the face with a tee or pencil. Mark the top of the blade above the sweet spot. Practice hitting the sweet spot. Miss the sweet spot and you come up short witht he putt.
   I lose strokes on the green by not being aggresive on the short putts. Usually I can cure this by setting up with the putter about an inch behind the ball. You need an aggresive stroke to keep the putter on line and hit the ball properly.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 07:07:01 PM »
  Most people use a putter that is too long and grip at the top. Assume your putting stance without the putter, then have someone slip the putter into your grip. It will usually be a few inches below the butt. Cut off the excess shaft length.

True. I gave up on finding putters the right length. Even though I'm six feet tall with shortish arms for my height I still have to lop 1/2" or 3/4" off even a supposedly 34" putter. And that still puts my hands near the middle of the grip.

I lose strokes on the green by not being aggresive on the short putts. Usually I can cure this by setting up with the putter about an inch behind the ball.

That'll definitely do it. The few times my wife has played nine hole with me she sets up for every putt with the putter about two inches behind the ball. She is almost physically incapable of hitting it less than ten feet or so even on slow greens. That's a nice trick to use when you're having one of those chronic weak-ass putting days.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 07:18:11 PM »
Doug,

A drill I have used in the past is to practice putting while looking at the hole, it definitely helps with distance control.

TK

peter_p

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 09:44:10 PM »
Doug,
If you want to feel good about bad putting, donate to your favorite charity for every putt left short and every three putt.

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
Give the Heavy Putter a try.

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 10:31:16 PM »
Doug,

A drill I have used in the past is to practice putting while looking at the hole, it definitely helps with distance control.

TK

I'll second Tyler's suggestion for getting a feel for length.

A few other points.

Do you wear glasses for golf, or for other reasons but not for golf?  I strongly believe that flawed eyesight affects putting.  If the lenses you wear aren't as good looking through the edges (as opposed to the focal point) then how can you hope to putt well?

Do you putt using a comfortable spine angle?  This helps my distance perception because I can more simply see the hole when I get ready to putt.  And it enables me to see out of the right part of my glasses.

Lastly, do you follow a set routine?  This was discussed a year ago.  A good method involves at address taking a look at the hole, a look at the ball, a second look at the hole, then returning to the ball and hitting it.  It enables the mind to use the visual perception of distance for the putt.  Freeze over the ball to long and that visual perception is lost.

Be the ball, and trust your judgement.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 11:30:12 PM »
Doug;

CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT YOUR PUTTING ABILITY.
(that will take alot of real focus)

YOUR THOUGHTS CREATE YOUR PUTTING REALITY.
(that is the common teaching of all masters...our thoughts create our reality.)

Everything else (no matter what anyone's intention and suggestions are) HAS NO ULTIMATE TRUTH.

OUR PUTTS FOLLOW OUR THOUGHTS.  In my long labors with the game that is my ultimate belief.  All aspects of my game have gone through innumerable ups and downs, yet I can honestly say that I have always putted well.  That is true, in my belief, because REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE BALL DOES, I am a really good putter.  The result is that while everything else slumps, my putting hasn't.  I do not expect it to.

A QUICK STORY......Grant Rogers is the Director of Instruction here at Bandon Dunes...Master Professional.  I asked him recently how his game was.  His reply was, as he went through the litany of his driving game, his iron play, his putting success (and all of this in the most calm and believable manner that only Grant can project)...was that it all was pretty much perfect.  

Tom

the pres

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 11:36:32 PM »
Doug;

Sorry, somehow pushed the wrong key.

So the gist of the story of Grant is his belief that no matter the outcome, he is programmed for success in golf.

He has an unshakeable belief in his ability, regardless of the shot he just hit.  And because of that belief, Grant hits some truly awesome shots.  His bad shots have no meaning to him.

I have some of that in my putting.  So I suggest you drop any methods regarding your putting and get to work on your beliefs.

Tom
the pres

ed_getka

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 08:53:37 PM »
Doug,
   I don't know if you chip well, but when I am having trouble with lag putts I will stand more upright and pretend I am hitting a 7-iron chip and run shot. BTW, when I hit the chip and run shot with the 7-iron I pretend I am hitting a putt from that distance. I never seem to have trouble with distance control with the 7-iron.
   Try putting lag putts to the edge of the green rather than at a hole.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 09:23:55 PM »
John/Brent,

I think it is actually the other way around -- great putting makes you a better chipper.  If you feel very confident for putts inside 8-10 feet as I do when I'm putting well it takes all the pressure off your chips and pitches from around the green.  And that in turn helps your approach shots, since you don't worry about shooting at tight pins if you are confident in your ability to get it up and down.

Unfortunately I've never been able to extend that confidence back to the tee, since it doesn't matter how good your approaches are if you are playing them from the trees or wrong side of the OB stakes ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 10:24:03 PM »
My putting over the last couple of years has been, averaging it out, rubbish. I have a good round every now and then. But it has kept me from improving my game. I work a lot at it and the rewards seem random. Some days I can 'see' the putts, some days not..
Anyway I played today and I putted well and I noticed I was doing something. I'm not sure if I always do it, but I have read that a lot of good putters do it. I was almost never still over the putt until I was ready to hit it. I was rocking back and forth from toes to heals. And other small movements. Not jumping around. But I was not freezing. And I don't think I hit a single one of those - Oh God how did I knock that 8 feet past type of putts.. so Yes, today there is hope.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back