News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Pennell

Rye (with pics)
« on: July 21, 2006, 10:31:39 AM »
I had the opportunity to play Rye this Wednesday, which I had been very keen to see from reading Ran's review and also the selection of the course as a Gourmet's Choice by Tom Doak. I picked one of the hottest days on record to play what is often called a winter course, and it was certainly on the brown, dry side. In places it made Hoylake look lush.

Everything I'd read about Rye was spot on. It's a wonderful, wild place - I think of the links I've played only Pennard can challenge the natural feel of Rye. The par 3's are certainly tough, although it was more the long par 4's that grabbed my attention. There is a good mix of approach shots required, from 3 wood to lob wedge, but the priority is always to keep the ball straight, as there are some very dangerous spots on the course (a famous example the 4th, which rides the top of a narrow dune. I missed left and hit what I thought was a fine pitch back to safety: lost ball).

The routing is sublime - some of the greens sit in the most inspiring positions in and around the sand dunes, and you are always changing the direction of play in what can be a very wind-exposed site. The staff assured me that the wind I had was as tame as it ever is at Rye, and to a city boy it felt very strong.

Conditions were as you would expect after such a dry, hot spell in England - very firm and very fast. I hit a lot of low, punchy shots and around the greens resorted to chipping with a rescue club and putting wherever possible. In comparison with Lahinch or Sandwich, say, the contouring on and around the putting surfaces are fairly subtle but the conditions make holing out a nerve-racking business, especially on the more exposed greens.

Sorry to waffle, I know you're really here for the photos  ;)

What an opening teeshot: OB all the way down the left and half the landing area obscured by a bank on the right.

The 2nd green from way left

Daunting teeshot on the 4th

And another on the 6th. The hole swings hard left over the dune

The dangerous short 7th...

...don't miss short!

The approach shot to the 9th

The green at the short dogleg par 4 11th, one of my favourite holes on the course

Teeshot at the 13th hole, which has a long, blind 2nd of at least 170 yards...

...and the view from the markers atop the dune

Not the place to miss the par-3 14th

Almost featureless teeshot on the 16th - the hole swings left past the bunker on the left of the picture...

...and the green

A tough, thin target on the final short hole (222yds!) - the 17th

And finally a great finishing hole. Here's the teeshot...

...and the green. With the wind in my face and a pulled drive the second shot was around 200 yards, passing very close to the clubhouse. Even more terrifying than the opening teeshot.

Once again, a course that I might not have bothered with if I hadn't spent too much time on here! Thanks GCA.

"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

George Pazin

Re:Rye (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
Damn, those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:53:37 AM »
Richard,
   Thanks for sharing, Rye is at the top of the list of courses I want to see in the UK, closely followed by Prestwick. Thanks for taking the time to post the pix, it is much appreciated.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
Thanks for these Richard, I was just wondering what Rye is looking like in the heat wave.  
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
Does Rye accept visitor play?  And please, don't jump all over me for inquiring about access--I'm not asking for the secret password or anything; I just wonder what its policy is.  

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 01:30:44 PM »
Tim,
   My understanding is that Rye is not open to visitors in general. I haven't been yet, but those who have will certainly know better than me.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

johnk

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 02:10:13 PM »
Call / write / fax in advance.

They might discourage you from playing in the dried out summer.

When I got to the club, I was invited to play a 36-hole four some match (with lunch in the middle) with 3 members.

So it's quite a friendly club if you approach politely, I think.

If all that doesn't work out, you could just get accepted to Oxford  and join the golf team.  Then you could have the bonus of playing in Jan during the President's Putter.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 04:19:28 PM »
Thank you for pictures of one of my favorite courses anywhere.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 04:21:56 PM »
Is Rye the best routed links in the world?

Some of those green sites make the 14th (12th in old money) at Hoylake look like child's play.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 04:23:53 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tim Pitner

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 04:28:28 PM »
John and Ed,

Thanks for the information.  

Richard Pennell

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 04:40:47 PM »
Glad you're enjoying them. I love that feeling when you play somewhere great for the first time and then can't stop thinking about it for days! My girlfriend has come to accept my rather absent moods some days, but she can't understand them.

Tim - I got the chance to play as a greenkeeper - most clubs will allow members of the greenkeepers' association to play occasionally at quiet times. Everything I'd read suggested that Rye could only otherwise be played with a member, but like John Krystynak said its a friendly place so you never know. I spoke to half a dozen of the staff and they couldn't have been more helpful or charming.

Cheers

Richard
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:12:56 AM »
looks a lot faster than when I saw it.
#4 tee shot in those brown conditions must be brutal.

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 09:42:25 PM »
John,
   Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind for the next trip over.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back