News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Is Jack a lurker?
« on: July 19, 2006, 07:48:07 AM »
 He's been writing for the Daily Telegraph this week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/07/19/sgnick19.xml&page=2

I wonder what he has to say?

"Can you educate your hands? I think you are born with it, though you can develop it and get better. I was a big kid and I learned how to hit the ball long but I never developed a great short game.

I was pretty good at fairway bunkers. You got me to about 70 yards and I played my bunker shots pretty well. But trying to hit a sand wedge 60 or 70 yards is the most difficult shot of all, and around the greens I was just an average bunker player."
;D
 ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Glenn Spencer

Re:Is Jack a lurker?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 09:08:18 AM »
Jack wrote this himself and was not asked the questions by the press. I wonder if these words count. ;D

JSlonis

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:19:25 AM »
99.9% of all golfers would love to have the bunker game of an "average" tour pro.  If Jack says he was average, that is still a very high quality, he thinks he was average on tour at the time.  I doubt by "average" he means equal to a 15 HDCP.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:52:15 AM »
it probably meant, not as good as Gary Player bunker play...

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »
Besides which 'average' for ALL golfers is more like a 30 handicap. I am including the large number of us who never get an official handicap.

Yes; I think Jack meant average for a Tour player. As if anything about him can ever be viewed as average.....

Personally, I just wish I could putt like the worst putting Tour player. Even on the 'easy' courses I play, I must putt around 40 times per round *sniffle*

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 09:53:57 AM »
99.9% of all golfers would love to have the bunker game of an "average" tour pro.  If Jack says he was average, that is still a very high quality, he thinks he was average on tour at the time.  I doubt by "average" he means equal to a 15 HDCP.

I'm sure you are right that most golfers would love to have any aspect of JN's game.  Still, it's interesting to see what his numbers actually were.  The 1st year I can find stats for are 1980.  I wrote PGATour, and they said they have nothing earlier.  

Year         % saves       rank

1980          31.4%        168
1981          45.8%         75
1982          47.8%         78
1983          43.5%        128
1984          42.4%        158
1985          38.5%        148
1986          39.5%        165    

During those six years, he saved a total of 222 times out of 532 chances.  41.7%.  Jack wasn't average on tour.  He was well under average.  And while this was late in his career, in 1980 he won two majors.  In 1986 he won another.  

While I have no numbers for earlier years, from what I've read and heard, I bet he never did much better than that.  Too bad Jack did not spend more time on his short game.  A lot of those 2nd and 3rd place finishes he racked up would have been victories.  Tiger would not have a prayer of catching him, had he done that.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 09:57:27 AM by Jim Nugent »

MikeJones

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:33 AM »
Jim, you don't think that Jack worked on his short game? I'm pretty sure he did everything possible to be the best player, be that putting practice, bunker practice, or whatever it took. That doesn't mean to say he was a great chipper or bunker player but who's to say he could have been any better than he was?

As far as his putting is concerned, he was simply one of the best 'clutch' putter of all time along with Woods. Putting is still part of the shortgame.......

ChipRoyce

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 11:58:51 AM »
I don't know if Jack is lurking, but met Ben Crenshaw last summer and over lunch we discussed GCA and he seemed very aware of the "characters" here on the site.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 12:38:16 PM »
Jim, you don't think that Jack worked on his short game? I'm pretty sure he did everything possible to be the best player, be that putting practice, bunker practice, or whatever it took. That doesn't mean to say he was a great chipper or bunker player but who's to say he could have been any better than he was?

As far as his putting is concerned, he was simply one of the best 'clutch' putter of all time along with Woods. Putting is still part of the shortgame.......

Mike, we had a pretty extended discussion of this a little while ago, in a Michelle Wie thread of all places.  Jack said he didn't practice his short game much,and wishes he had practiced more.  Phil Rogers, who coached him, said Jack had great touch but not many shots.  Jack said, I think, that he used sand wedge for 95% of his short game shots.  He also said things got so bad in 1979 that he was afraid to pitch over bunkers: he was nearly putting/chipping around them.  

Rogers gave him some short game lessons in early 1980.  That helped him win two majors that year.  Still, he only got up and down 31.4% of the time from bunkers that year.  Really bad, by almost any measure.  

Jack was a great clutch putter, true.  Most of us, including me, separated putting from the rest of the short game.  And if his short game had been great, instead of maybe average, he wouldn't have needed so many clutch putts late in the day.  He would have put away the tournament long ago, much like Tiger did when he was best at long game and best at short game.  

Doug Ralston

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
LOL, namedropping Chip?

Well I am a friend of Moe Miller, who is a friend of someone who work's on Art Hills staff! How's that, eh? Compare THAT to having dinner with Gentle Ben [perhaps the greatest putter ever?].

*envy*

Doug

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 03:43:55 PM »
LOL, namedropping Chip?

Well I am a friend of Moe Miller, who is a friend of someone who work's on Art Hills staff! How's that, eh? Compare THAT to having dinner with Gentle Ben [perhaps the greatest putter ever?].

*envy
Doug

Friend on Art Hills' staff, huh? I knew there was a catch!!! ;D

Alfie

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:45:40 PM »
Tony,

Jack appears to be coining it in. He's also doing features with The Scotsman (sorry, can't find an online link)

Chip,

I think it's safe to say that Ben and a few other high profilers visit this site and are aware of it's contributors.
Who can blame them ! :)

Alfie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back