News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Woods may forgo driver at Hoylake
« on: July 18, 2006, 11:22:46 PM »
I was reading this article on espn.com - http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/britishopen06/news/story?id=2522670

I am really looking forward to watching the British Open.  It is rare we can watch such golf on TV with firm and fast conditions where "shot making and creativity back in the game."

Here is part of the article

...No, Woods hasn't lost confidence with the big stick. Given the firm condition of the fairways and the locations of out-of-bounds, deep bunkers and tall grass, it makes more sense to sacrifice length for position. Besides, the ball is running so far, he's even replacing his 5-wood with a 2-iron, a club he hasn't carried since the Dunlop Phoenix tournament in Japan late last year. "I'm trying to take advantage of the fast fairways and roll the ball out there," he said Tuesday.

If hot temperatures continue -- they reached nearly 90 degrees -- expect to see dust fly. Not that Woods or other contenders are complaining.

"The golf course is definitely fast," said Woods, a two-time winner and the defending champion. "It's hard. It's a little bit slower the last couple of days because obviously they're putting some water on it, trying to keep it alive. But overall it's going to be a fantastic challenge this week to play a golf course this fast. We don't get a chance to do this very often, but when we do, it sure brings back shot making and creativity back in the game."

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

David_Tepper

Re:Woods may forgo driver at Hoylake
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 11:27:29 PM »
"The more things change, the more they remain the same."

Legend has it Peter Thompson won multiple Opens in the 1950's & 60's rarely hitting driver either. He used his 3-wood almost exclusively off the tee.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:46:20 AM »
Didn't Tiger read that "Bomb and Gouge" article in Golf Digest? Ugh...

Really though, I haven't seen the course, but it sounds like it's hard to hit the fairways with any club, and the rough isn't as bad as it could be. Hit driver, Tiger. At least carry one in your bag...

Also, if it's not windy, isn't it easier to hit rock-hard fairways with a high-flying 5-wood or hybrid than a relatively lower 2-iron?

Whatever. I'm second guessing Tiger Woods on his major championship preparation, so I'm...probably wrong.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:51:34 AM by Matt_Cohn »

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:34:20 AM »
After travelling 17,000 kilometres in part to watch him play, I'll be shattered I can't see him hit the driver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back