News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Sewickley Heights
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:12:03 PM »
Having just returned from the member-guest at Sewickley,I am curious why we don't hear more about it.Does anyone know this course?The 8th seems like a cape hole around a deep valley and is one of best par 4s I have played.There are two good risk reward short 4s on the front.Great caddie program,staff and membership.If I only lived in Pittsburgh.Any info on the course?

Mark Leo

Re:Sewickley Heights
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:29:03 AM »
Mike:
I've had the good fortune to play SHGC on a number of occasions.  It is indeed a wonderful golf course and deserves more attention than it gets.  It was designed in 1960 by Jim Harrison, and has hosted a number of USGA events.  Conditions are always excellent.  As you point out, there are a number of good holes.  Three and five on the front nine are a blast to play. The eighteenth hole, uphill 450+ yds, dogleg right into the wind with the clubhouse looming is as good as a finishing hole gets.  There was a recent posting on Sewickley with pictures within the last couple of weeks.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:01:29 AM »
Mike, this is the thread that Mark is talking about:

Sewickley Heights w photos

I'm guessing the only reason there isn't more discussion is that the course hasn't been played by enough posters. There's only a handful of Pittsburghers on here, and people from outside Pittsburgh tend to play the bigger name courses when they come to town.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:33:29 AM »
We are having a US Amateur Qualifier at Sewickley Heights this coming Monday (7/24).  If you want to see the course and are in the area, come out and watch.

John_Cullum

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »
One of my regular fellow competitors at my home club was a member there for 15 years. He never mentioned much about the course before I saw the earlier thread and I asked him about it. He assures me its very impressive.

He is also quite familiar with Joe No's home, with 27 bathrooms.
Raynor was a hack

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 01:40:18 PM »
That house is something else.Closest thing to Disneyworld there is.It is my understanding there are some memberships available and the prices are shockingly reasonable.The tee shot on 18 will make you think.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 01:41:48 PM »
John,I will be very interested in the scores.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 02:22:43 PM »
Mike,

Check out our website (http://www.wpga/org) on Monday or Tuesday to see the scores and the average score on each hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back