News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Michigan courses
« on: July 17, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »
Michigan has become a major goal for us, and I have noted that quite a few here have experience up there. So give me some feedback of some courses.

Forest Dunes, Black Lake, and Timberstone.

And has anyone here played Dunmaglas?

Any insights will be interesting to me.

Doug

Jim Thompson

Re:Michigan courses
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
Doug,

If you're coming up 131 from Cinci and don't stop by to visit, you will truly be missing out.

Other than that we have so many courses here in Michigan that you almost need to narrow down your region.  We have that many good ones.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:16:52 PM »
Timberstone is decent, basically a well-conditioned resort course on some dramatic terrain.  It's very much "put together," i.e. they line the cart paths with rocks, position giant boulders here and there for aesthetics, have everything perfectly manicured, etc.  It's a show.

There are better tracks, in my opinion, but you'll enjoy your time there.  It's very well-run and it certainly won't be a downer.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:59:19 PM »
Doug...this is a thread from when I asked somewhat the same question you did. The responses will give you some good choices. Jim Thompson's Angels Crossing is further south than anything listed and is well worth playing. There's a ton of great public golf in Michigan, in two trips so far I've barely gotten a start on it.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20390
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:02:42 PM by Andy Troeger »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
Yes, AC is one we have looked at. We have definitely decided on Shepard's Hollow and Eagle Eye in the south.

But I am still hoping for insight on Forest Dunes and Black Lake [I know Reese Jones is not popular for some revamps, but I have heard great things about this course].

Doug

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:49:25 AM »
Doug, here's my article on Forest Dunes.  Nice interesting back nine, some good holes on the front.

http://jayflemma.blogspot.com/2005/10/forest-dunes-gc-more-great-golf-in.html

Also don't forget Arcadia Bluffs...excellent design, greens and natural setting on lake michigan.

Of course, it is also quite close to Crystal Downs, which is rightfully legendary.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:49:40 AM by Jay Flemma »

Jfaspen

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:38:08 AM »
Forest Dunes is cool.. Worth a look.. Wish there were more dunes-esque holes like 17 (i think).

in the middle of nowhere though.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:10:20 AM »
Doug

If you have not played Greywalls and are going to travel to play Timberstone, Marquette is on the way and I would make sure to play it over Timberstone or at least with it.

You had mentioned on a prior thread that you like "vertical" or "mountain" like golf courses, if that is the case you would like True North and Greywalls.

Chris

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »
Jay;

We did not 'forget' Arcadia Bluffs; but money issues make me try to keep greens fees under $100. Forest Dunes can sometimes be caught under $100; I don't think Arcadia Bluff ever can.

http://www.michigangolfmagazine.com/features/Top50.html

Nice listing of top publics in Michigan in the magazine's humble opinions. Gotta try some of those, for certain. Being poor and loving great courses is difficult.....

Doug

David Wigler

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 09:27:09 AM »
...And has anyone here played Dunmaglas?...

Doug

One of the worst 5 courses in the state of Michigan.  It is puke.

I know my opinion of Art Hills will colour this response but I would urge you to play the Orchards ahead of Shepards Hollow.  The US Public Links was there last year and it is a terrific test of golf and one of Bobby Jr's best.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

David Neveux

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 11:00:29 AM »
I would recommend the following, purely based on personal opinion.  

Angels Crossing is definitely worth your while and is surely one of the better "deals" around.  

Eagle Eye is right here in my backyard.  If you play after 3, the fee is only $65.  I truly love this course, I have played probably 15-20 times and still get pumped when I know I'm playing.  

Shepards Hollow is a great choice.  I'm not sure how anyone can bash Art Hills on this one.  I would definitely play this one over the Orchards.  I liked the Orchards ( I played with a 103 degree fever and later found out I had pneumonia)  but Shepards Hollow is fabulous.  

Forest Dunes I think is another winner.  I have known the head pro up there for quite some time.  It is probably in my top 5 favorite in Michigan.  Spectacular practice area, and phenomenal greens, the fastest purest greens I have had the pleasure of putting anywhere.  I also think there are quite a few good holes, and some really great ones.  

Arcadia Bluffs is a must see.  I know cost is always an issue, thats why I have only been up there once in the last three years.  However I think you can play for cheap after six o'clock and depending on when you will be there and how busy the course is at that time (probably not very busy at all) if you play quickly I think you should be able to play before dark.  Its $100 after 4 and $50 after 6:30.  Do yourself a favor and play here, It is really a marvel.  

Greywalls is another must see.  IMHO opinion it is all of Arcadia.  Imagine playing golf in one of the Lord of the Rings movies, that is what you feel like.  It is so hard to describe, even with pictures.  DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AT TIMBERSTONE (BTW I haven't played it) , IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE TO THE U.P. PLAY GREYWALLS.  I have never looked forward to any 8 hour car ride, but I would drive to Florida in a heatbeat to play Greywalls.  

I have never seen Black Lake, although I've been meaning to get up there.  If you do play, let me know what you think.  If you need any other advice I'd be happy to give you my opinions and or other suggestions.  The intinierary you already have will be good, add Angels Crossings, Arcadia, and Greywalls and it will surely be one of the great golfing experiences of your life.  P.S.  if you have access to private courses Crystal Downs and The Kingsly Club are both awesome, Crystal Downs obviously is hands downs one of the premiere courses in the country.  Let me know if you need a Fourth for Eagle Eye, its literally five minutes away.  Also dining / partying / where to stay options in the area.  Good Luck, D.P.N  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 12:07:11 PM »
Doug:

High Pointe is in the best shape it's been for some time, and it's not too expensive.  Some people think it's horribly overrated, but I'm here to tell you it is still some of my better work, the 18th hole notwithstanding.  You might even find me out there.

I played Dunmaglas just after it opened, but I haven't spoken to anyone who's been there in at least five years.  It's a very pretty course, and very demanding, too -- some narrow target areas.  [Mr. Wigler must have shot well above his handicap!]  Wouldn't make my top five in the area, but if you're a low handicapper you might enjoy the challenge.

David Wigler

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 01:14:59 PM »
Tom,

Actually I am a 6-handicap and shot in the high 70's when I played it.  It was a 16-guy golf trip and the most positive comment about Dumaglass amongst the 16 was that "A blind guy would probably have fun since he would not notice that a shot hit to the center of the fairway ended up out of bounds."  The only other course we have all played that was as universally disliked was the Weiskopf course at Reflections Bay in Vegas.

There is a difference between quirky and stupid.  Dumaglass falls soundly into the later.  With all of the great golf in Northern Michigan, Dumaglass would not make the top 40 and would be a tragic waste for someone with only a few courses to play.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 02:24:51 PM »
Yeah, shame arcadia costs so much, it is special.

High Pointe is a really interesting course at a terrific price and is right on the "main line" of the Traverse City courses.  Try that one.

Jeff Peterson

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 03:05:42 PM »
I've played Black Lake three times, and enjoyed it very much.  As noted upthread, it is a Rees Jones course, but it has a very classic, understated feel to it.  There's a notable absence of mounding and perfectly circular bunkers -- commonly associated with his work.

I've also played Dunmaglas twice.  I would lean more towards Tom's appraisal than David's.  Not sure when David last played, but about 5-6 years ago they did go through and "soften" the course somewhat.  That said, most of the guys I played with disliked the course.

If you do go to Black Lake or Forest Dunes, you might consider adding Elk Ridge in Atlanta to your itinerary.  A very handsome, deep-in-the-Michigan-woods layout.  As you go a bit further north, I can also recommend Hidden River Golf & Casting Club in Brutus.

But try Arcadia if you can.  It's worth the extra few bucks.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 03:36:25 PM »
I'm heading up to Michigan next week but, with the family in tow, the only could I'll be playing is Battle Creek Country Club five minutes from my childhood home's front door... 8)

Buck Wolter

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »
I played Arcadia this morning -- Chamber of Commerce Day. I've probably played it 20 times and still am a big fan as it makes you hit some of the most imaginitive shots I've ever been presented with, just as an example on 18 I hit a lob 25 feet over the pin and ended about 3 feet short; some of it may be over the top but it sure is fun.

Anybody thinking about it should go, the greens are in the best shape of any course I've ever played. I think this global warming thing is going to be good for NM. Actually the fairways were a bit wet due to a big storm last night but the greens were still F&F.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:33:10 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Will E

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 08:02:24 PM »
I've played Black Lake and Forest Dunes. Both are excellent conditioned courses.
I'd like Black Lake more if Jones were to go back and erase some of the offensive bunker work he created. The property didn't need to be disturbed by his round and curving style. Too much for me.
Forest Dunes is a better design though I wouldn't rush back up to play it again. I'm all for courses presenting different looks; I'm not sure why I wasn't wowed by this course, it seemed disjointed.
I didn't like Arcadia, it made me dizzy. Too much goofy and out of place mounding and a routing more confusing than downtown Ann Arbor.
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Black Forest. I would skip any of the public courses listed here for a round there. This thread proves once again that is often overlooked.
I'd also hop over to Treetops, the Smith Signature is worth seeing, and the Fazio is one of his more interesting efforts.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 10:15:45 PM »
Boyne is still one of my favorite plaace to go and play.  Petosky is a great place and the big lake is always great.  The Highlands is a wonderful place to stay.

One course that I think is a sleeper and one of Arthur Hills better courses is The Thoroughbred.  It is about 30 miles north of Muskegon and 30 miles south of Luddington.  It isn't walkable but it is fun.

Treetops is also a place I could go every year and not tire of it.  The courses are good and varied.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Neveux

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 11:37:25 PM »
I actually forgot to mention High Pointe.  I played 36 holes there over the recent holiday and really enjoyed the course.  Talk about two contrasting nines.  There were some truly phenomenal holes out there and the greens are AWESOME.  It was very difficult to get an approach shot close to the hole, and even after playing it the first time I was having difficulty ( my game was not in top form though).  The price is absolutely right especially if your for a couple of nice "budget" courses.  I think it was like $45 dollars sunday morn and then something rediculous like a fifteen dollar replay.  Definitely worth seeing.  The greens are very severe (in a good way) and I wish they would have been rolling a little faster.  

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 05:42:34 AM »
After living in Michigan for 22 years, and playing Thoroughbred 6-8 times, I think that I'd give up golf before I'd go back and play that Hill's design.....

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 10:42:26 AM »
Anthony,  fascinating comment on Thoroughbred.  I rather liked it.  Why did you play it so much if you didn't like it?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 11:50:38 AM »
Tommy,
  I'll go into detail later, but I played there cause my family vacationed near there, was invited by a former superintendent to play or had a request from a friend to get up there and play...just not my cup of tea....

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI,SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Doug Ralston

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 12:35:09 PM »
Thanks folks;

Lots of great info. Definitely uprating Greywalls and Pilgrim's Run. Already certain of Eagle Eye, Shepard's Hollow, Tulleymore, Timberstone, Black Lake, and hopefully Forest Dunes. Downrating Dunmaglas.

My friend who is [believe it or not] Art Hill's #1 fan, has recommended Red Hawk over at E Tawas. Anyone here not so anti-Hills as to have an objective veiw of that one?

Doug

Will E

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:55 PM »
Doug,
If you're in the Gaylord area and don't check out Black Forest you'll be really missing out.
If you're on the sunshine coast and go to Red Hawk without checking out the Gailes you need help.
Talk about covering some ground if you're getting to play Pilgrim's Run (very good choice), then touring Northern Michigan and finally up to the U.P. (really Wisconsin). wow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back