News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Canyon River Update
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:05:12 PM »
I just got home from spending an hour or two driving around Canyon River, the new Brian Curley course in Missoula, MT....it looks like they might open next Monday, but I won't be surprised if the opening is put off until August 1st...the hold up is a temp. clubhouse...plumbing...etc.

The course looks terrific! Grow in was real solid and the native grasses have taken off nicely....

Curley's bunkers are fantastic! Just the right size....on several holes the bunkering begins 50-70 yards from the green, but standing in the fairway you'd swear the bunkers were greenside...a nice bit of deception...his fairway bunkers blend into the contours of the land and with few exceptions are located not so much to challenge, but to catch a wayward shot....

The course has a couple of holes with blind tee shots...#11...a long par 5...the green slopes right to left and to the back of the green...a back left pin will be tough to find...all the fairways looked to be plenty wide...the "signature" hole, or holes, are a pair of drop shot par 3's...the 14th in particuliar has a small green and three nice bunkers surrounding it...from the tips this hole is probably 170 yards....the other drop shot par 3 is #12....from the tips (190yds.) you can barely see the green...finding the pin location from the back tee will necessitate a walk to a front tee for a view...the green is guarded by several deep bunkers and a large rock that juts out from the bunker complex...a tall juniper tree....protects the right side....a hole that I liked a lot is #15...a reachable par 5 (525yds)...your drive has to find its way between three towering pines...one is dead center in the middle of the fairway...the second shot is over several cross bunkers that begin about 70 yards from the green...this makes the second shot just about all carry if you are going to reach the green in two...the green has great contours and any shot hit long will drop off behind the green 40-50 feet....

I do have a few pictures and I might post them later...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matt_Ward

Re:Canyon River Update
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:07:40 PM »
Craig:

Do you have Website for the facility -- I may be in the Missouri area sometime in August.

Thanks ...

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:41 PM »
Matt..the website is pretty useless...I think it's...

http://www.canyonrivergolfcommunity.com/
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:20:04 PM »
Craig:

Any details on the type of land there and if you can also provide the totals on the course (par / yardage, etc, etc ?

Thanks ...

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »
Matt...the land is a series of grassy benches that sit between Interstate 90 and the Clark Fork River...there is much more elevation to this property than you first expect...I would say 200-300 feet from the river to the highest pointon the property....the river makes a large oxbow around the land and is in view on 4 or 5 holes...most views are of the foothills (5000-5600ft hills) The soils are for the most part gravel and sand....except for some holes down close to the river....unfortunately, the course is routed on both side of Deer Creek Road...you have to cross the road three times (?)....they are installing culverts.  There were several large ponderosa pines and large junipers on the property and  most of those trees remain...

They are developing housing around this course...but right now it's only close to a couple of fairways....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 08:34:45 PM »
Oh..yardage wise...maybe 6800 yards from the tips.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back