News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

Mississauga golf
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:02:03 PM »
Gang,

I just inherited some employees in Mississauga, Ontario and am wondering about a decent place to play when I visit them. Any of the Toronto folks want to make a recommendation? Looking for a nice course that's within 30 minutes of the 401/410 interchange. Not too price sensitive, good GCA factor appreciated, maybe something different that what I'd see in Northern Virginia. Prefer a course I can walk.

Tim

Kerry Gray

Re:Mississauga golf
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:29:53 PM »
Tim,
Welcome to Canada. While I am just one voice of many in this area, here are a few ideas.
Public:
Copper Creek     Doug Carrick Design
http://www.coppercreek.ca/    
Private golf club for a day affair.
Osprey Valley Heathlands or Hoot.  Doug Carrick
http://www.ospreyvalley.com/
Great golf and range, not much else.
Eagles Nest     Doug Carrick
http://www.eaglesnestgolf.com/fore front/default.cfm
Golf on steriods. A very large scale project.
My personal favourite is Osprey Heath or Hoot. I believe GCA's own Ian Andrew worked on both.
On the Private side there are many very good offerings in the area.
Toronto Golf Club  -H.S Colt
St. Georges - Stanley Thompson (maybe his best)
Devil's Paintbrush -  Hurdzan/Fry
Weston Golf -  Willie Park Jr.

For a great "Canadian" experience try to make a trip to Muskoka region and play some greats like Bigwin, Muskoka Bay and Rocky Crest. About 2.5 hours north of the Mississauga.
Enjoy.
Kerry.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 04:36:46 PM »
One of my favourite public courses in the Toronto area is the Ospery Valley Heathlands course which is about 30 minutes from 401&410 - north on the 410 and beyond.  Eagle's Nest is considered one of the best new courses in Toronto and isn't too far away from that location.  A little farther away, but also highly regarded, is Bond Head.

If you really aren't price sensitive then there is also Glen Abbey which is considered one of Nicklaus' better designs but which is about $225 the last time I was there.

If you are a member at a private course then you could get your pro to call one of the private courses in Toronto which opens up a whole lot of other possibilities.

If proximity is your main concern then Royal Woodbine is one to consider as it is only a mile or two from 401&410 but it is of dubious architectural merit.

Alan Carter

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »
Here are a couple of lists for you, but definately the best of the best.

Best Publics - No Order
Angus Glen South - Unionville
Eagle's Nest - Maple
Osprey Valley - Heathlands - Caledon
Glen Abbey - Mississauga
Rocky Crest - Muskoka
Wooden Sticks - Uxbridge
Lionhead - Legends - Mississauga
National Pines - Barrie
Copper Creek - Kleinburg

Best Privates - Again No Order
St. George's - Islington
The National - Woodbridge
Hamilton - Hamilton
Beacon Hall - Aurora
Devil's Paintbrush & Pulpit - Caledon
Red Tail - St. Thomas
Toronto GC - Mississauga
Magna - Aurora
Brantford - Brantford
King Valley - King City
Mississauga GC - Mississauga

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »
Best Privates - Again No Order
St. George's - Islington
The National - Woodbridge
Hamilton - Hamilton
Beacon Hall - Aurora
Devil's Paintbrush & Pulpit - Caledon
Red Tail - St. Thomas
Toronto GC - Mississauga
Magna - Aurora
Brantford - Brantford
King Valley - King City
Mississauga GC - Mississauga
Perhaps this is nitpicking but I would quibble with putting Magna ahead of some other courses in the area such as Weston, Scarboro, and St. Thomas (if you are including within a 2 hr drive which includes Redtail)

Alan Carter

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 05:43:45 PM »
St. Thomas would definately fit the bill, Weston I enjoy and I look forward to seeing the changes to the course that have happened recently.  Scarboro is a wonderful old golf course that I haven't played in many years.  I remember it being a little quirky in spots, but it has been so long (18 years) and my thoughts on golf courses have matured and changed so much that it is tough for me pass proper judgement.

From a private stand point I would likely also add Summit, Maple Downs, Rosedale was always fun to play, Toronto Ladies and even Credit Valley to the mix.

ac

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back