News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Chris' excellent adventure
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:24:07 AM »
After two days sightseeing in London, I kicked off with a game at The Addington with Tony Muldoon last night - very impressive.

A few points of discussion:

With the last four of the six one-shot holes being outstanding (particularly 11 and 13), and the par-fives (particularly 12 and 16) being equally great, how has this course fallen under the radar?

Is 11-13 one of the great three hole stretches in world golf?  I can't remember hearing much about 11, yet it reminds me of the 10th at Kingston Heath.  Both are world-class holes for mine.

The course begins slowly, building nicely with solid holes, until you reach the 7th.  From there the course kicks goal after goal until the relatively pedestrian 18th.

Are there any other world-class courses where one could join tomorrow?

The 135 yard 11th

Swinley Forest is next, on Monday.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:24:30 AM by Chris Kane »

Sean_A

Re:Chris' excellent adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 03:34:16 AM »
Most Excellent Chris

The course looks firm.  Were some of the holes crazy because of the bounce?  I am thinking specifically of the 8th.  It seemed to me that holding the fairway in summer would have been nigh on impossible.

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:37:35 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Chris Kane

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 03:57:03 AM »
Sean, it was very firm and fast - massive bounces in the fairways, and approaches had to be perfectly struck to stop.  Strangely enough, the greens felt very spongy underfoot, but were very firm.

I would think that holding the 8th fairway is only possible if you hit down the perfect line - tough when you don't know the course!  I do see your point (which Tony informed me of) that its less than ideal.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 04:07:52 AM »
Chris, Check your gmail.....

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 04:29:04 AM »
I remain firmly convinced that Heathlands might very well be my very favorite type of golf..... It's close.

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 04:54:21 AM »
Chris

is #11 also similar to say Spring Valley #10 - the reorientated par 3?  The long grasses from tee to green and the exposed green surface suggest it to me.

Looking forward to future posts.  You have done very well to post a photo so soon.  You must have good IT arrangements - well done.  It is appreciated.

By the way, have you met a chap who is so into golf architecture and history after only 5 years as Tony?

James B
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:55:17 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 04:54:44 AM »
You need to get to the Sandbelt Tommy. Then you can make your mind up  ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 04:59:22 AM »
This would be true.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »
Chris,

What's the schedule for the next week or so? Where are you playing?

Ed

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 07:19:12 AM »
Chris

is #11 also similar to say Spring Valley #10 - the reorientated par 3?  The long grasses from tee to green and the exposed green surface suggest it to me.

James B

James,

unfortunately, the native foliage between tee and green at Spring Valley #10 has been nuked.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 08:23:43 AM »
O h to be in England now that summer’s here.  A perfect summer evening (once the sun broke through) with a great partner and two guys swooning over the course they are playing/battling/smiling at.

Great to meet you Chris and I’m delighted your excellent adventure got off to a solid start.  As you said if there’s 94 courses over here better than the Addington then what a time you’re going to have.

The course was beautiful, more F&F than any other inland course I’ve seen.  Brown, green, red and yes purple heather in bloom (with a lot more than I remembered to come). Chris said it was livelier than the Sandbelt which surprised me a little.  It’s high up and drains well, and with no fairway irrigation in place this is how it’s meant to be. TEP says a drive should bounce 15' in the air and then run on 70 yards; well we saw that last night.

By my standards I played the back nine ‘mighty fine’, but on the 16th I didn’t pay the course enough respect.  The fairway moves first R-L then in the landing area for your second shot R-L.  For my second shot I hit a respectable 5 iron, with maybe a hint of fade that landed in the centre of the fairway; the roll took it off the fairway, down the hill to an unplayable position on hardpan under a canopy of a large tree looking at a vertical slope.  Is that unfair or should I have hit a 7 or 9 iron?

A sign on the wall says they are in the 4th year of their 5 year improvement plan and they have had the chainsaws out.  However there’s still a lot more that could be done.  In the above example I would have had a sight of the green in the old B/W photos posted early this year, with just a semi blind uphill chip as my punishment.

The greens were much better than at the start of the summer and even though they played fairly slow there was quite a lot of movement.  ON the 3rd the pin was immediately behind the false front, hitting long to get on, left a really scary putt back!

Sean the 8th.  (The tee shot seen here wearing spring green)

It is a value judgement whether this is unfair or not. Last time you described it as controversial and I’d accept that.  However a well struck 3 wood with a draw would give you pole position. So there is a shot - you’ve just got to be able to execute it. However it’s a good way over that ‘tumuli’ and there isn’t a bail out option.  I popped my 7 wood on top of the mound and Chris’s slightly pushed 3 wood stayed out of the trees but didn’t leave him with a line to the green

Finally “some people just don’t get it”.
We followed a 3 ball, who as they moved off immediately offered to let us play through as they said they weren’t going to hurry. To allow time to stretch ECT we declined as we didn’t feel like rushing.  They eventually called us through on the 8th green when two of them were looking for balls that had just rolled through.  I spoke with the nearest one who had a long face. He called it “a bit odd”.  It turned out they were the local county team practicing for a match this Sunday.   As we came off the 10th tee he came up to us and asked if we’d seen or heard his ball land near the 9th green?  (A 90 degree blind dogleg), we hadn’t - he’d just lost another complimentary PROV1 attempting to drive the green.  To cut a long story short after playing the 10th he went home. Later his playing companions confirmed he’d seen enough and as one of them said with a smile he’s yet to see the 12th.

Keep us informed Chris (I believe he’s at Lords at he moment.) and good luck.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:26:12 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Kane

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 04:08:38 AM »
O h to be in England now that summer’s here.  A perfect summer evening (once the sun broke through) with a great partner and two guys swooning over the course they are playing/battling/smiling at.

Tony, I'm still in shock at just how good the weather is here at the moment - we could not have had a more perfect evening for golf on Thursday.  

It is a value judgement whether this is unfair or not. Last time you described it as controversial and I’d accept that.  However a well struck 3 wood with a draw would give you pole position. So there is a shot - you’ve just got to be able to execute it. However it’s a good way over that ‘tumuli’ and there isn’t a bail out option.  I popped my 7 wood on top of the mound and Chris’s slightly pushed 3 wood stayed out of the trees but didn’t leave him with a line to the green.

Tony, there is most certainly a line to the green for the superior player :P, my 6-iron second finished 25 feet behind the flag!  Obviously its a very dangerous shot from over there though: my tee shot probably needed to be 25m further left to have a good line for the second.

Ed, I went to  the test at Lord's yesterday, and am doing more sightseeing today and tomorrow.  Swinley Forest on Monday, sightseeing Tuesday, then off to Liverpool for the Open Championship on Wednesday.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 04:19:33 AM »
Chris how did an Aussie enjoy a day at Lords watching England pile up a nice score? (they'll never believe that one at home).

I was so busy messing up on the left side and I forgot your second was to the green.

The final thought about the Addington is even though it's deep in commuter land there was a little bit of magic when Bambi and his mother appeared in front of us on the 17th.  Once you seen those bridges you never forget the place, as you can tell I do think the incidentals add to the expereince of where you play the game.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 12:58:11 PM »
Tony, for someone backing the Paki's, it was tough to watch!

Caught a train out to Swinley Forest today (and walked from Ascot station, how many of you have done that?!?)  As expected, it was fantastic - wonderful hole after wonderful hole.  Easily the most peaceful setting for a game I've come across.

Among the holes which don't seem to win much acclaim, I felt that the short 8th and 11th holes were first-class.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 08:55:58 AM »
I played with Chris at Silloth on Tuesday - the first time either of us had played there.  What an absolute treat! The course was very fast & firm - Chris thought that the fairways were even more burnt than Hoylake. They were in excellent condition though - not a bad lie to be had, and all old divot holes were filled.  The greens were like an oasis in a desert, the only green grass on the course. Chris took plenty of photos so hopefully he will post some of them when he gets chance.

Difficult to single out any particular holes - it was just one excellent hole after another which made you think strategically both on the tee and with your approach.

The course was fairly quiet and the green fee an absolute steal at £35.  Go if you can!!

Chris was travelling to Glasgow on Wednesday and then onto Dornoch for the weekend.  Great to meet you Chris - all the best for the rest of your trip. Keep the lob wedge in the bag though and practise your Scottish bump and run shots for Brora!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ed Tilley

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 09:11:31 AM »
I played with Chris at Silloth on Tuesday - the first time either of us had played there.  What an absolute treat! The course was very fast & firm - Chris thought that the fairways were even more burnt than Hoylake. They were in excellent condition though - not a bad lie to be had, and all old divot holes were filled.  The greens were like an oasis in a desert, the only green grass on the course. Chris took plenty of photos so hopefully he will post some of them when he gets chance.

Difficult to single out any particular holes - it was just one excellent hole after another which made you think strategically both on the tee and with your approach.

The course was fairly quiet and the green fee an absolute steal at £35.  Go if you can!!

Chris was travelling to Glasgow on Wednesday and then onto Dornoch for the weekend.  Great to meet you Chris - all the best for the rest of your trip. Keep the lob wedge in the bag though and practise your Scottish bump and run shots for Brora!

Hopefully Chris took a picture of the 2nd hole. Some pictures of Silloth which is wonderful.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=24349;start=msg449657#msg449657

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 09:27:21 AM »
Ed

I think Chris took a picture of every hole - he even (at my prompting :-[) took a picture of the Silloth Village Store which he managed to hit with his drive off the 18th tee (sorry Chris I think I promised not to mention that!)

Looking at your photos on the other thread there clearly hasn't been any rain there since your visit. The fairways are now almost white in appearance, although still in perfect condition to hit a crisp iron from.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ed Tilley

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 09:32:40 AM »
I hit my longest drive ever on that hole - it's probably still bouncing down the road now :)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 09:52:33 AM »

Now there's a course that deserves more recognition than it gets.  Silloth is a wonderful course and a wonderful club, tucked away in what gets as close as England comes to the back of beyond.  Perhaps Goswick is more hidden, but it is only two miles off the A1 and the East Coast mainline goes right past it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

ForkaB

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 10:18:43 AM »
Mark

The stupid that I am, I've been driving down the A1 every 2-3 weeks over the past few months and haven't even thought about stopping along the way at Goswick.  Any reason I shouldn't stop there next time I'm down (probably next week)?

Thanks for the tip.

Rich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 10:59:08 AM »
Rich,

No reason I can think of.  If you're driving past Newcastle at any stage and fancy a game at The Northumberland (a Braid/Colt design in 1898) then let me know.

I went past Goswick last weekend at looked at it adoringly.  To my mind it's the best course on the coast between Berwick/Dunbar and Seaton Carew and probably the best in Northumberland (The Northumberland aside, not much competition, I'll grant you).

Goswick is an old fashioned golf club.  No pretensions, a very basic clubhouse with a warm welcome.  The course is very much an old style and slightly quirky links but a decent test (around 6800 yds, I think, but how it plays will, obviously depend on the wind).

Another course worth a detour just off the A1 is Bamburgh Castle.  No great architectural merit but absolutely spectacular views that, on a fine day, cannot but lift your spirits.  I understand it has been described as the most beautiful golf course in the country which could very well be true.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Sneddon

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 01:08:54 PM »
Another course worth a detour just off the A1 is Bamburgh Castle.  No great architectural merit but absolutely spectacular views that, on a fine day, cannot but lift your spirits.  I understand it has been described as the most beautiful golf course in the country which could very well be true.
Mark

Must be close to 40 years since I last played Bamburgh Castle.  The one hole that I remember through the mists of time is an elevated par 3 played to a green surrounded by a circular high rock formation, with a small opening in front. I'd love to see a pic of that hole, should you ever play it again.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 02:32:44 PM »
Mark

Must be close to 40 years since I last played Bamburgh Castle.  The one hole that I remember through the mists of time is an elevated par 3 played to a green surrounded by a circular high rock formation, with a small opening in front. I'd love to see a pic of that hole, should you ever play it again.
David,

That's the 8th.  I played there on Monday with some colleagues.  I probably play Bamburgh 2/3 times a year as it's only 45 minutes up the road.  I'll try to remember to take a camera next time I'm up there.

ed_getka

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 12:45:48 AM »
Chris,
  Sounds like your trip is off to a great start. Keep us posted, it is fun to live vicariously through others while waiting for the next golf trip. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 05:53:25 AM »
Mark, with Sherlock Holmes like cunning, I am beginning to discern that you must live in north-east England - in which case it is surely just a quick hop down the M whatever to get to Hoylake and the Buda Cup in October?!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back