News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Solo Trip - Ireland or Scotland
« on: June 25, 2006, 06:36:44 PM »
All -
If you had 10 days to do a relatively unplanned peripatetic jaunt through Scotland or Ireland, which would you choose?

Major emphases are on golf, people, non-golf activities, and ease of travel (roughly in that order).
Minor emphases - cost.

Any thoughts and rough itinerary ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

P.S. Some of you have already been helpful with your thoughts, which I greatly appreciate.

John_Conley

My vote? Flip a coin.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 08:50:52 PM »
The people are nicer in Ireland than anywhere else in the world.  Not so much to look at, but you'll not find finer folk anywhere.

10 days is a long time for golf on that small island, you'll have an easier time navigating if you are trying to hit some different tracks if you do Scotland.

I don't think you can go wrong.

Craig Sweet

Re:Solo Trip - Ireland or Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 09:57:55 PM »
"The people are nicer in Ireland than anywhere else in the world.  Not so much to look at, but you'll not find finer folk anywhere."

John, are you saying the people in Ireland are nice people, but ugly?  ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 11:00:10 PM »
My vote would be for Scotland. Haven't been to Ireland yet (going next month), but Scotland was relatively easy to negotiate and I've heard the driving is very difficult in Ireland.  For 10 days, you should without much trouble be able to hit St. Andrews, Kingsbarnes, Carnoustie, and a couple of others there and either go to play the Cruden Bay, Nairn, Aberdeen, Dornoch grouping, or some of the other venues so elaborately described here many times.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:59:26 AM »
Sean -

A lot depends upon how much traveling/driving you are willing to do and how many B&B's you want to move into and out of.

The advantage of Scotland over Ireland (in this regard, at least) is that the density of quality golf courses is much greater. You could stay in central Fife and have the St. Andrews courses, Crail, Elie, Kingsbarns, etc. available to you all within a 20 or 30 mile drive. In East Lothian, North Berwick, Gullane, Dunbar & Muirfield are close together. In Aberdeen, Royal Aberdeen & Murcar are next door to each other and Cruden Bay is 20 miles up the road. In Dornoch, there are the two courses at Royal Dornoch and Tain, Golspie & Brora are all no more than 15 miles away.

The only area of Ireland (that I can think of) where there are so many quality courses near to each other is along the Causeway Coast in Northern Ireland. The 2 courses at Portrush plus Portstewart & Castlerock could keep you very busy for a 4 or 5 day stay.      

DT

Jack_Marr

Re:My vote? Flip a coin.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:20:45 AM »
The people are nicer in Ireland than anywhere else in the world.  Not so much to look at, but you'll not find finer folk anywhere.

10 days is a long time for golf on that small island, you'll have an easier time navigating if you are trying to hit some different tracks if you do Scotland.

I don't think you can go wrong.

But you risk running into people like me too - neither nice nor good to look at.

Here's my guess - I'm not 100% sure, but you might get better value for money in Scotland. Ireland has gone mad expensive. I don't know much about the golf in Scotland, apart from knowing all the great courses.

I'd say either place, you'll have a good time. If you go to the Southwest of Ireland, you'll get stunning scenary, good craic and great courses - Waterville, Ballybunion (x2), Lahinch, Doonbeg, Tralee. Same applies to the Northwest, but the courses are a little more spread out - Carne, Enniscrone, Murvagh, Rosses Point, Strand Hill, Ballyliffin (x2)... This would be the less expensive option. You'll also get in some nice views etc.
John Marr(inan)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 09:55:50 AM »
SPDB:

I'd recommend Ireland provided you can handle the James Bond type roads that dominate the landscape and are willing to travel to play some of the top tier courses. Scotland has the greater depth of layouts but the very top tier layouts of Ireland / No. Ireland are extremely hard to beat --

Portrush
County Down
Ballybunion
Lahinch
Portmarnock
Doonbeg
Waterville
Old Head
The European Club

Dublin is also a first rate destination for simply hanging out with the varied restaurants, museums, etc, etc.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 10:02:02 AM »
Sean -

A lot depends upon how much traveling/driving you are willing to do and how many B&B's you want to move into and out of.

The advantage of Scotland over Ireland (in this regard, at least) is that the density of quality golf courses is much greater. You could stay in central Fife and have the St. Andrews courses, Crail, Elie, Kingsbarns, etc. available to you all within a 20 or 30 mile drive. In East Lothian, North Berwick, Gullane, Dunbar & Muirfield are close together. In Aberdeen, Royal Aberdeen & Murcar are next door to each other and Cruden Bay is 20 miles up the road. In Dornoch, there are the two courses at Royal Dornoch and Tain, Golspie & Brora are all no more than 15 miles away.

The only area of Ireland (that I can think of) where there are so many quality courses near to each other is along the Causeway Coast in Northern Ireland. The 2 courses at Portrush plus Portstewart & Castlerock could keep you very busy for a 4 or 5 day stay.      

DT

The above post perfectly states my opinion as well. Ireland is more rural and better suited in my opinion to having companions for traveling the roads between venues.

Properly researched you can't go wrong as they are both heaven for a golfer.

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 12:54:51 PM »
Hey Guys:

Thanks for the thoughts. I think i'm leaning toward Scotland, and will probably bum around East Lothian and then start to head north.

What's a reasonable car hire rate?

Would appreciate anymore thoughts on rough itinerary suggestions. I know this is a topic that is discussed ad nauseam here, so I appreciate your indulgence in the repetition.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 12:57:11 PM »
SPDB:

I'd recommend Ireland provided you can handle the James Bond type roads that dominate the landscape and are willing to travel to play some of the top tier courses. Scotland has the greater depth of layouts but the very top tier layouts of Ireland / No. Ireland are extremely hard to beat --

Portrush
County Down
Ballybunion
Lahinch
Portmarnock
Doonbeg
Waterville
Old Head
The European Club

Dublin is also a first rate destination for simply hanging out with the varied restaurants, museums, etc, etc.

I would echo Matt's take as I too would place the very best courses of Ireland slightly ahead of those in Scotland.  I've not played Old Head so I can't comment on that, although it has been often discussed here, but I can say that the courses he list make a very special week.  I personally might add Carne to the list in place of Old Head in between playing Portrush and Lahinch.    

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 04:30:08 PM »
I would choose Scotland and Golf. You can get around much easier and there are major centers of great golf lumped together. Ireland is spread too thin with very poor roads. You can play 3 of the big 4 areas in Scotland in a 10 day trip or 2 of them in greater detail and golf yourself silly. ie Troon, Turnberry, Western Gailles, TOC(2), Carnouste, Kingsbarns, New or Crail or Elie or Eden, Muirfield, Gullane 1, North Berwick, Dunbar. You can most twice and still make it in 10 days. The people are nice everywhere. All one must do is say the English suck once or twice when watching the world cup and life is great. Do not worry about the money for it is your first trip. Get picky about the now ridiculous green fees after you have seen the greats once. Everything is really expensive over there now. It is generally twice what one would play for an apples and apples comparison with the US.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 04:33:22 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

John Goodman

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »
Following up on what Tigre said, if you are from the South, you always have a nice line you can deliver to a Scot:  "we've got something in common - only a part of the Union by force of arms."  They love that over there (so long as you don't say it to an Englishman by mistake).

I'd go with Scotland as well, if you have ten days to work with.  I think I'd do East Lothian - St. Andrews - Highlands, or fly into Inverness and do it north to south.  But you're not making a mistake if you go Ireland, either.

SPDB

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:40:42 PM »
Well its all decided. just booked a flight into and out of Glasgow (Air Iceland offers free layovers in Reykjavik, an offer I graciously accepted). I was originally thinking I'd make my way east then north, but I have to admit to being tempted to hop to Machrihanish, or make the drive the day I get in to try to play Prestwick and/or Western Gailes.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 12:29:09 PM »
Re:  car rental and driving

Pay extra and get an automatic (it may require an early reservation as they don't have as many).  I learned the hard way, shifting gears with the left hand while driving on the left side of the road is not easily done.

Also, don't be afraid to hug the center line- the opposite of what's comfortable.  It will save your side-view mirror and front fender.

Lastly, make sure you understand the traffic circles and the routes you are about to enmbark on before you start.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 08:20:31 PM »
I just got back from Ireland and we rented a BMW 530D. It was a diesel with a six speed manual transmission. For a diesel the performance was surprisingly good and it was a lot of fun to drive on the roads in west Clare.

ed_getka

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »
SPDB,
    Start at Prestwick if available, Machrihanish if you are willing to fly over, any other option loses a day for you, Western Gailes seems to be universally admired also. Then head east and up to Dornoch, down to Cruden Bay, on to TOC, and down to North Berwick. Fill in whatever other courses strike your fancy.
   If you want to save money on lodging there are 3 hostels I can highly recommend that are all run by the same group. In Inverness, St Andrews, and Edinburgh. Cost was 10-12 pounds when I went a few years ago. That way you can spend more on food and drink. :)
    Taking the train isn't as cheap as I thought it would be but it did save me from driving in the busier parts of Scotland (i.e. St Andrews/Edinburgh area). North Berwick is the easily accessible by train from Edinburgh, and St Andrews the train station is just out of town, you just grab a cab for the 10 minute ride into town. Driving up from Aberdeen to Dornoch and back via Cruden Bay was a breeze, not much traffic, terrific scenery, and roundabouts a GREAT timesavers (no waiting at traffic signals).
    Have a great trip.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 06:53:14 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 06:53:41 PM »
Well, tell us about the hostels, please.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 07:08:49 PM »
Ulrich,
   I don't have the info with me at work, but I will try and remember tomorrow. IM me if I haven't gotten back to you in the next couple of days.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 07:23:25 PM »
Edinburgh is a great base for someone who wants to play some great golf without driving.

St. Andrews and Carnoustie are accessible by bus and train, respectively, from Edinburgh. I did Carnoustie in one daytrip from Edinburgh.

Likewise, North Berwick, Muirfield, Gullane, Luffness New, Royal Musselburgh etc courses in East Lothian are all accessible by bus from Edinburgh.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:24:03 PM by Voytek Wilczak »

Doug Bolls

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »
We are going to Scotland again in April - want to play Old Course in Reverse and it's only set up that way first weekend in April - here is what the trip looks like:
Arrive St. Andrews from Edinburgh - stay Dunvegan for 6 nights - play Old Course, New Course, Jubilee, Kingsbarns or Crail, Muirfield, North Berwick, Carnoustie.
Drive to Aberdeen - play Royal Montrose on the way - play Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen - stay at UDNY hotel.
Drive to Dornoch - Eagle hotel for 2 nights - play Royal Dornoch.
Drive to GlenEagles - play Boat of Garten on the way - Stay at Collearn House in Auchterader - Play GlenEagles Kings.
You can make all the reservations yourself on line.
Fly home with more wonderful memories.
Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back