News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

Baby Yale
« on: July 09, 2006, 07:57:22 PM »
I made my fairly annual trip through NW Connecticut with the kids and I was once again greeted by Jim Kennedy of Hotchkiss GC on the way to kids camp.

As you may know, Charles Banks was the Headmaster at Hotchkiss School and this is where Raynor roped him into the business. George Bahto has done some consulting at Hotchkiss.

The third green with two spines running through the green and I would guess some professor's houses in the back.

The Par 3 fifth green with the beautiful Litchfield County scenery in the back.

The 7th green. Hotchkiss has only a few bunkers, but the terrain can repel a few misses similar to Yale.

Downhill Par 3 8th hole.

Severe dogleg right down and up 9th hole. Hey Jim, not sure if you have heard, but tree removal is a good thing! ;)

The finish on 9 up to the best clubhouse in New England.

It is not a Doak rating type of place, but certainly it is a 10 for playing with the kids.

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Baby Yale
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »
Mike,

I'm sure 'Josh' Banks would thank you for promoting him from Professor to Headmaster.   :)

There are trees on nine, but don't tell me you had a hard time finding the acre of fairway with your drive?

Glad you and the boys had a good time.  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt MacIver

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:22:47 PM »
My dad went back for his 45th year reunion a few weeks ago and my parents played a round -- said the course was in great shape and was as fun as he had remembered it.  

mark chalfant

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 06:24:55 PM »
Mike thanks for  the nice pics. Hotchkiss has some challenging
holes and some  nice quirky qualities. I found the terrain and challenge on #1   and # 7  really fun to play. Also two good  droppping  par 3s. I especially like the shorter one  with the scenic backdrop that  you captured nicely

As you noted some  very neat green contours. A clubhouse slightly smaller than Rivieras and  Baltusrols, but a friendly pro  who knows gca, for sure !!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:13:43 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

Are spines in the greens or fairways a prevalent feature at Hotchkiss ?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »
Are spines in the greens or fairways a prevalent feature at Hotchkiss ?

In a few spots, yes.  The 2nd green has a spine running horizontally to play on the right front.  It is on a par 3 green that used to be a short 4.

The 4th green is a completely new green by George Bahto, as they had to move the hole to the right to accomodate a new building (same with #2).  The spine is flatter and wider than on #2 and #3, but runs vertically to play through the center of the green.

The info is what I recall from talking w/Jim after my quick 9 there a couple of weeks ago.

Other fun greens on the course are at #6 and #8.

There are trees on nine, but don't tell me you had a hard time finding the acre of fairway with your drive?

I had trouble too, as I didn't know that driver is not the club to hit there!   ;)

Phil Benedict

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »
Coincidentally, I stopped by to introduce myself to Jim Kennedy on Saturday while visiting a nearby relative.  While waiting for Jim I took some putts on the 9th green, which had quite a funky hole location on the left front.  

I started playing Hotchkiss 40 years ago with my brothers.  The clubhouse looks the same.  I had no idea who designed the course but there were interesting details in the greens unlike any other course we had played up to that time (mostly munies).  It's a great place.  The view from 5 and 6 looking towards the lake is as good as it gets for inland golf.  Being where Raynor linked up with Banks gives it a unique place in golf course architecture.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:29:17 AM »

Glad you and the boys had a good time.  

Jim,

Thanks for not throwing us out despite the untucked shirts on the guys. I am sure that Uncle Bob Huntley is cringing in California!! However, Dan Taylor and Tiger will be happy to know that the untucked shirts have appropriate logos from Sand Hills and Winged Foot. :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back