News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Trolly on the green OMG
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »
One of the interesting things about the Bandon courses are how you take your trollys anywhere, tees greens etc. That would push many supers over the edge. Two of the supers at BD told me the reason was due to the slow healing nature of the fescue that spreading the traffic as much as possible was in the grasses best interest. What other courses do this?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:17:41 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Brad Tufts

Re:Trolly on the green OMG
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:08:28 AM »
I seem to remember from when i was there....the caddies told us (as we were watching the group behind us do it) that you were allowed walk the trolley's over the greens only in a straight line.  When one of the members of the group behind us made a turn on the green with his rickshaw, the caddies flipped out and scolded them....to me I didn't see the difference....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

peter_p

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:11:20 AM »
They only allow you to do it with the rickshaws.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:59:25 PM »
Many here already know that this is common practice in Australia. The trolleys have wide tires and proper etiquette is to wheel them straight across the green rather than around the fringes. One justification is that the fringes would wear out if they were constantly rolled over, so spreading out the traffic actually helps.

You'd never, ever be able to tell by looking at the greens, although I don't know what happens on rainy days.

Matt

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
On a PSI basis those rickshaw treads are paperweights; a whole lot less than foot traffic.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
Matt's got it right, if everyone pulls the trolleys around the collar then the collar is going to become worn out from all the traffic ... fescue turf is especially sensitive to traffic patterns, so it's better to just walk straight across the green whether you are carrying or pulling.

Of course that only works where the greens are firm and sandy.  No problem in Bandon, but you wouldn't do it in Portland.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »
Can anyone post a photo of the Bandon rickshaws? How comparable are they to a Sun Mountain Speed Cart? Thanks.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:28:10 PM »
Rick S;

Don't have a photo of the rikshaws, but the tires are v. wide, perhaps 3", hard rubber, flat, with no tread...smooth.  Wheels are far apart and large in diameter.  Only two wheels, as opposed to the Sun Mountain Speed cart's three.  

As Brad suggests, the PSI is very low....I would guess much lower than the Sun Mountains.

Tom
the pres

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 11:44:48 PM »
Here you go Rick:

Gerry B

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:34:26 AM »
as mentioned - 1st time i witnessed this  custom was at kingston heath

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back