News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Chicago Aerial: Go West ****Man et al
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:31:15 PM »
I count six different architects touching this one since the teens.  I recognize some of those bunkers in the 1939 version.  

Current

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Geoffrey Childs

Re:Chicago Aerial: Go West ****Man et al
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »
Now that's a redesign  ;)    ;D

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 01:23:31 PM »
I've seen Tilly's name associated with this course but I don't see much evidence of his work or style. Maybe it was during his PGA tour when he proposed the revoval of Duffers Headaches...there aren't many bunkers within 150 yards of the tees.

I believe William Watson is the original architect here.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »
Westmoreland CC?  It has had a bunch of designers mess with it, including a big renovation by Hills in 1994, and that looks like the clubhouse.  Original designer said to be David McCurrach I think.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
Jeff,  that's it.  

Cornish and Whitten in the Golf Course cite Joseph Roseman as the original designer in 1917 hence the title of the post.  However, I believe the course existed before that so I don't know the original designer.  

Before the 1939 aerial C&W cite Tillie and Langford (Langford bunker very noticeable on par 3 at bottom and maybe some of the closer in fairway aiming bunkers, not so much elsewhere at least as viewed from above).  

Bill Dibbel in 1963, K&N at some point and Hills was there in the 1990's.  

Routing basically unchanged throughout.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:49:36 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:51:08 PM »
I've not heard of McCurrach, but it was reported in 1912 that William Watson was laying out the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back