News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Zeni

Sewickley Heights Golf Club w/photos - Pittsburgh
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:47:46 AM »
I had the opportunity to play Sewickley Heights Golf Club on Saturday.

In a word "Brutal!" I never played a US Open style setup before, and really don't want to do it again - well at least until September after I recover from fairways cut to 3/8" with a 3 foot collar, then rough that was thick, consistent, with the inability to see your shoes.

I hit many fairways, but they ran into the rough. I hit many greens, but at 11.5 on the stimp, they ran to the fringes. And putting from above the hole - if you didn't make it - and I never did, it was "kiss it good-bye as it gathered speed and ran off the false fronts just as you've seen in the US Open. A putt from the side of the hole, the ball would make a 90* turn and fall away four to five feet. A putt from below the hole, if missed, and I always did, trailed off  4 to 5 feet after looking into the hole and laughing at your ineptitude.

With the course setup being readied for the club's Men's Invitational next weekend, and never having played the course before, you had to consider bogey as a par. You also had to do that to keep your sanity.

Even with the former college whiz-bang kids I was with, and having enough varied shots in their collective bags to last me for a decade, there were only two birdies all day. Pins tucked in the back corners, the tees at the tips, the rough, the stimp, makes you realize rather quickly how good the Pro's are.

We did have a great day to play, and I really enjoyed it. We were invited back at our leisure, so we'll be doing that come September.
From left to right:
OP Jr, Bobby, Old Guy, Shawn PS, notice the Goodyear Blimp coming over us to watch us play. Close - it was for the All-Star game.

The 14th hole and the castle in the sky.

The 14th is reachable in two by these guys. Not I. I take the lay-up approach, especially since there is water fronting the green.

While I have photos of all of them on this hole, we'll start with the perfect balance finish of OP Jr on the tee. Then again, they all have that finish. Don't they ever over-swing?

At the crest of the hill, with the green below, you see what can only be described as a castle in the left background. It's a single member owned residence.

A closer look at this home. But, as you'll note, you can't see the water. Hey, I found it with a downhill lie and a 7 iron approach.

The pin was in the false front. Just to explain, Shawn was in the right bunker in two. His sand shot was to 10 ft of the hole. After he putted, his next shot was from the base of the slope in front of the pond which precludes the question of "How fast was it?"

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:55:33 AM by Tom Zeni »

George Pazin

Re:Sewickley Heights Golf Club w/photos - Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:55:32 AM »
Tom's link

That's interesting. I recall #12 being touted as unreachable, mostly because there was a long patch of rough around the crest of the hill . Looks like it's gone.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Zeni

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:57:46 AM »
Okay, finally got the pics to work. Hope you enjoy them.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 11:00:52 AM »
George,

The Par5 6th hole is unreachable in two. Never has been done by amateur or Pro.

tom

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »
Ah, now I remember. Thanks for the info. The 6th is not fronted with water, that should've been a big tip off!

P.S. I don't appreciate you posting photos of my home.... :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:18:49 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Zeni

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 11:32:36 AM »
Tell us, what are you doing with 27 bedrooms? Hugh Hefner doesn't have that many!

Two more photos....

Looking back at the clubhouse from #10

The Par 5 601 yd 17th  with two ponds to traverse.

You can take a course tour:  http://www.shgc.org/

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 11:41:17 AM »
Tom,

The par 5 you are talking about is the 14th hole -- the 12th is the par 4 that starts near the clubhouse, then you cross the road to play the par 3 13th.

Nice "home"!   :o

Mike

Tom Zeni

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:54:06 AM »
Yep, you're right. I did misidentify it. I'll make that correction.

Thanks.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 04:03:54 PM »
Sewickley Heights is an excellent track... on a par with the bigger name Pittsburgh clubs.

Rerouting and design of the par 3 seventh was a huge improvement in the early to mid 90's as it was previously a 258 yard, maybe the slightest bit uphill monster.

Shaping the ball from the tee (split relatively evenly both ways) is rewarded as is finding the short grass assuming the rough is as thick as in the 90's. 4 or 5 holes set up for LTR tee shot with 4 or 5 holes set up for RTL and the balance allowing your preference more or less.

Few flat approaches, a few more uphill than down but generally a nice mix.

Severe doglegs at 9 and 18 is somewhat quirky I suppose.

Overall a very good test.. you will not fake your way around Sewickley.

And the putting... typical Pittsburgh... stay below the hole or it could be a rather long day.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Mike DeVries is working on a long-range plan for the course. Right Mike?

Any details to share, regarding future improvements? Just curious.  
jeffmingay.com

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 11:26:17 PM »
To me a sign of a good course:a week later I am still thinking about how much I liked it and about how different it is in that the risk reward holes are par 4s while the 5s are basically 3 shotters except 14.Need to see how the scores were Mon and tomorrow in the qualifier John mentioned.

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 09:24:42 AM »
We had a US Amateur qualifier there yesterday.  55 players and the low score was 143 (-1).  145 played off for the second spot and only 4 guys broke 150.

The course is very hard, the fairways are narrow, the greens are very sloped (to sloped in many cases) and fast.

I had a nice chat with the superintendent.  They have had an architect in recently, although he didn't name him and there are at least 5 greens that they are thinking of having work done on.  1, 3, 10, 11 and 12 are all greens where the front half of the green is unusable for hole locations.  As he said to me, they are 6000 square foot greens where only about 1500-2000 foot is usable and it all in the back on all of them.  There are a lot of greens with bunkers at 3 and 9 or 5 and 7 which pinch the fronts of the greens, but you can't put a hole there so it kind of defeats the purpose.

Your picture of 14 and the false front there reminded me of two players I saw who landed on the green and almost rolled all the way back to the water.

The members there take pride in how tough the course plays.  I agree that it is tough, but in some ways the features that cause that restrict the options for setup and play a little too much.  Perhaps an architect can keep it tough while making it a little more varied.

JohnV

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 10:25:12 AM »
John,

I would agree that those greens could use the attention. Especially #3 with #1 rather difficult as well. The others to my recollection were not quite as severe but that is relative.

Had more than one eagle putt on #3 that, after two official putts resulted in a par.

Has 17 been lengthened since mid 90's? Don't recall it being 601, long but not quite that long.

JohnV

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 12:25:45 PM »
10 is a duplicate of 1.  11 is a little better and 12 is another one of the ones where you can't even consider using the front.

On #3 we had the hole back right at first and had an eagle, but I also saw a couple of four putts in the morning before getting the superintendent and moving the hole to the left rear which is really the only area that is safe.

One way to tell is to look at their hole location charts which have 3 zones.  On #3, the back left is divided into sections 2 & 3 and the remaining 85% of the green is day 1.

I think 17 must have been lengthened with a new tee added that is almost in the 15th fairway although I've only been here since 2002 and it was there everytime I've been up there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:26:17 PM by John Vander Borght »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:44:08 PM »
JVB - I recall 1 and 10 being similar but, for whatever reason, did not have the same trepidation on the tenth and felt it was, or at least played, a bit more narow than the first.

12 seemed to have sufficient pinnable surface even with the front quarter sending the ball back down the fairway.  

Almost forgot a funny Sewickley Heights story... I actually fell down while playing a shot from the hill side on hole 8. Never forget - 4 iron from right rough with ball a foot and a half or so above my feet.. make contact and, being that I had on teaching shoes, feet slipped out from under me and... Bam, he's down! A true albeit somewhat embarrassing story. The shot? Front right fringe... not too bad.  

What is your relationship with the club? Is Mark McConnell still there?

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »
Mark McConnell just completed his 20th year at the club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back