News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

I just found out I may be spending a couple of days in Victoria later this week.  I am not positive but am pretty sure.  The only way it is a no go is if something terrible happens (it wont).  I am going to hopefully be playing golf Thursday and Friday.  
Due to this late notice I have not a lot of time to prepare for my golf but was hoping I could get some help on where to play from anybody who lives there or who has played there.  The closer to downthown Victoria, the better, but anything within a half hour or 45 minutes would probably be fine.

I may only play one round, I am not really sure, but if anybody would like to possibly join up for a round of golf let me know!! (I may also play two, depending on whether Gramps is willing to drive two days in a row)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:09:18 PM by Jordan Wall »

Wayne_Kozun

I live in Toronto and have never played golf in BC, so the following is hearsay, but...

Royal Colwood is supposed to be a fabulous course.  I have heard it called, I believe by Lorne Rubenstein, the Pebble Beach of Canada.  It is a classic old course that was designed by A.V. Macan about 95 years ago.  

Victoria Golf Club is also supposed to be very good.

Both of these courses are private, but you belong to a club in Seattle, do you not?  If so then you can have your pro call these clubs to see if he can arrange to get you on.  You will have to pay the guest fee but it shouldn't be much more than US$100.

Jeff_Mingay

Jordan,

1. and 2. in Victoria are defintitely Victoria Golf Club and Royal Colwood. Both Vernon Macan works (albeit altered and changed since Macan's days) are very close to downtown.

I believe Colwood accepts outside play (for a fee). Not sure about Victoria though; unless, of course ,you have some sort of "in" through your home club.
jeffmingay.com

Wayne_Kozun

See, even an architect like Jeff agrees with me - it seems that we made simultaneous posts.

Jordan Wall

I am no member anywhere, unfortunatley.
VGC is probably a big no and Colwood, if outside play is allowed, may be nice.
I'll check that one..

Wayne_Kozun

I am no member anywhere, unfortunatley.
VGC is probably a big no and Colwood, if outside play is allowed, may be nice.
I'll check that one..
You could always try calling or emailing the head pro at both courses and say that you are a young man who is very interested in golf architecture and that you heard that his course is one of the finest classic courses in Canada and you would be thrilled to have the opporunity to play, you're willing to pay the guest fee, etc., etc.  It just may get you on.

We Canucks (no need for another thread Sean) are very friendly!

Ian Andrew

Jordan,

Write or call both, if your flexible, you will likely get an invite in the late afternoon from both.

You will see the last two left on my list after I see Dakota Dunes in a few weeks. Never found a reason to get there.....yet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:04:58 AM by Ian Andrew »

Jordan Wall

Jordan,

Write or call both, if your flexible, you will likely get an invite in the late afternoon from both.

You will see the last two on my list after I see Dakota Dunes in a few weeks. Never found a reason to get there.....yet.

I will call them, then explain I caddie at Seattle as well, since that is where they have matches.

Thanks for the suggestion Ian!!!

Bob Jenkins

Jordan,

I would love to join you but this week is not good for me to get away and over to the island. I agree that Victoria Golf Club (sometimes just called Oak Bay) and Royal Colwood are #1 and #2. Another, newer course is Cordova Bay, which I played once several years ago. Always in excellent condition, some interesting holes, great views, not a great course but good and very pleasant.
Another new course I have not played is Bear Mountain which is close to town and is the new Nicklaus design in this area. I have heard good things from decent golfers but no one who is into architecture. Apparently some severe elevation changes, some housing nearby which could detract.
Another which is not all that great would be Olympic View.
Some better courses further north on Vancouver Island.

Have fun!

Victoria is the one if you can get on. If you email me and we can plan something later in the summer, my club in Vancouver has reciprocals with Victoria.

Bob Jenkins

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back