News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Clark

Opinions sought on Wisconsin trip
« on: July 09, 2006, 03:11:14 PM »
I'm traveling from Dallas and spending 4 days in Wisconsin, 1/2 hour from Madison, with in-laws this week.  I am playing 1 round a day with flexibility on 2 of the days.  I've played all the Kohler courses, minus the Irish, and I'm going to miss the opening at Erin Hills by a few weeks.  Sigh.

As it sets now on the 2 open days I'm planning on playing Lawsonia Links and The Bull at Pinehurst Farms.  Lawsonia is a given, but my father in-law is pushing to replace the Bull with the Andy North solo effort Bergamont.  He has had favorable feedback from friends.   I went to Bergamon't website (www.thebergamont.com) and they have multiple pictures of the course, and it looks fairly solid, but I'm still inclined towards the Bull.

I would appreciate feedback from those that have played these 2 courses, as to which they prefer, or what their general impressions are of either course.  I have tee times lined up for both on Thursday.  There were a few comments recently on Bergamont here, and most of The Bull comments have centered around it's silly name, but not alot on either of these courses has been discussed.  Many thanks in advance.  

Jeff Shelman

Re:Opinions sought on Wisconsin trip
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 04:12:39 PM »
Greg,

I've played the Bull and I think that it is a pretty strong golf course. There are several very good holes and very few weak holes.

What it isn't, however, is economical. Just looked up the rates and it's $155 and $95 after 2 p.m.

If you play Bergamont, I'd certainly like to hear about it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 05:23:14 PM »
Greg:

I've played Bergamont, but not the Bull. But, based on a fair evaluation from a good friend of mine who has played both (local golf writer, who does honest write-ups of courses), I would think it's no contest -- if you have the cash, I think most folks around here would recommend the Bull. A Wisconsin golfer who a few years back played EVERY single public course in Wisconsin in a year said he ranked the Bull up there with the Kohler courses for challenge, conditioning, and design aesthetics. Bergamont is OK, but other than the three finishing holes (which are good-to-very-good, but not outstanding -- nothing on the order of Lawsonia or even the best of University Ridge), there's nothing there that wowed me, or the other local golfers I've talked to who have played it. Bergamont is set on a pretty ordinary piece of land; parts of the Bull wind around the Onion River and are quite scenic, according to my friend.

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »
I played Bergamont last fall and did not like it.  In the Madison area University Ridge is much better than Bergamont.  In Spring Green 45 west of Madison is The Springs a decent Robert Trent Jones course that is part of the House on the Rock Resort.  Recently Nagawaukee was mentioned here right off 94 between Milwaukee and Madison, that would be a good value.  I would put all of those ahead of Bergamont.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 07:49:51 PM »
The Oaks, just east of Madison, opened last year and was quite good, and a very good value.

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 10:51:22 PM »
Not where you are going on this trip, but I think Eau Claire G&CC is the greatest course you've never heard of.

Maybe next time.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 12:53:06 AM »
Sorry I can't say that I've played either the Bull or Bergamont.  But my cousin lives a few hundred yards from Bergamont and I walked some of it during construction and have looked at it after grow-in.  I can't say that it looks like more than a parade of homes sort of course with a few broad sweeping fairways and mondane greens and conventional bunker placements and styles.  The Bull does have a great super and while I haven't played it either, friends have said it is pretty good.

If you are looking for some affordable and old-time quirky golf near Madison, try Old Hickory in Beaver Dam.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Greg Clark

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM »
Thanks to everyone that has responded to this post.  It has been very helpful.  Phil, did the golfer that played all the public courses in Wisconsin publish his accounts?  Or maybe a story about him was published?  I would be interested in reading about that.  Will check out Eau Claire G&CC on a future trip John.  

Great suggestion on Old Hickory RJ.  I have played it once and really enjoyed it.  Quirky indeed.  I am staying in Horicon (right next to Beaver Dam), and my father in-law's home course is Rock River Hills.  It's a fun course (good back 9), and always in very good condition.  I'm playing there on the trip.  I always drop hints that I would really enjoy playing Old Hickory again, but he always takes me to his home course.

Thanks again to everyone's thoughts, and I would certainly welcome anyone else's views.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 12:40:26 PM »
In 1980 I built a course about an hour north of Madison called Lake Arrowhead in Nekoosa, WI.  I have fond memories of it, and it has(d) - they may be gone for all I know - dunes areas reminiscent of Pine Valley. For that matter, the homes may have sold out and it might be private. For all the times I went to Minnesota, I should have gotten back over there, but it is one of my personal faves from my days at Killian and Nugent.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
Jeff,

Looks like its still there.  Too bad it wasn't there when I was at UW.  

http://www.lakearrowheadgolf.com/
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 02:21:35 PM »
Greg:

Sorry -- I don't have the article with me, and didn't come across it in a quick web search. It was written in the local Madison paper, when the guy was coming through town to play the area's courses. The two things that stuck in my mind about his course recommendations was that he raved about the Bull and said a nine-hole, sand-greens course he played up north wasn't worth the measly $7 green fee he paid. I'll keep looking for the article I know the guy who wrote it fairly well, so I'll email him.

I've played Rock River Hills and really enjoyed it. And I really second Dick's recommendation about Old Hickory -- an old Bendolew nine-holer expanded to 18 in the 1960s. I've always found it neat that a number of smaller Wisconsin communities have some pretty darn good courses in their backyards.

Jeff -- I assume you did the original Pines course at Lake Arrowhead; a good friend of mine who golfs way more than me plays it every year and really sings its praises. They've added a second 18 -- the Lake Course -- in recent years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back