News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Columbia C.C.
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 05:42:54 PM »
Welcome back, Mr. Cirba.  May this be a good omen for the New Year.

It's kind of amazing to read that the Columbia course is built on 128 acres, it seem so closely knit that there might be as few as 100 acres.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:52:30 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I appreciate the kind words and welcome.

I've not played Columbia or seen the property but it's on my very short list based on intrigue.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 05:54:46 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I appreciate the kind words and welcome.

I've not played Columbia or seen the property but it's on my very short list based on intrigue.

At one time or another I've played pretty much every course in the DC area and would rather play Columbia than any of the others.  Columbia 7 Congressional Blue 3.  Columbia 6 RTJ International 4.  Everything else 8-2.   It's that much fun.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »
Bill,

I suspect I'd have the same impression...it seems to be a course of great character.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »
Bill,

I suspect I'd have the same impression...it seems to be a course of great character.

So get yourself down there in the spring.  IM me when you get a chance.

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
good stuff Mike.  I regret having moved from DC and not having played it.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
Unfortunately the next designer who might have a hand in shaping the course is the head of WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority).  

PS:  Mike, welcome back.

PPS:  If you ever make it down to DC to play Columbia, let me know -- I'm over there every once in a while.

PPPS:  Bill, I like Columbia, but I don't like it that much!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:43:33 PM by Carl Nichols »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »

So where do you play? - I'll come back with a number!   ;D

NB: one caveat about me and DC area golf after living there for 14 years, l don't think the terrain there is particularly great for golf in general, one reason I'm not that high on many courses but the quirky Columbia that really rings my chimes!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »

NB: one caveat about me and DC area golf after living there for 14 years, l don't think the terrain there is particularly great for golf in general, one reason I'm not that high on many courses but the quirky Columbia that really rings my chimes!

Bethesda -- not suggesting it should win the split with Columbia!  But IMHO, RTJ should win it, and possibly Congressional (though I think that's a closer call).

Tom MacWood

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
Here is chronological collection of articles that tell the story of Columbia's new golf course. Speaking of collaboration, was their a golf architect of that period that collaborated with a more impressive list collaborators than Barker?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
Tom,

Nice work!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »

Bethesda -- not suggesting it should win the split with Columbia!  But IMHO, RTJ should win it, and possibly Congressional (though I think that's a closer call).

Our pro at CC of Fairfax was buddies with your pro, so we played Bethesda occasionally.  It's a good course but I thought suffered from the terrain problem - ridges, ridges, ridges.  I liked it about 5/5 with Congressional but I was enamored of Columbia, just loved holes like #2, #3, #5, #7, #8, #15, #16, #17, #18. 

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 06:37:09 AM »
The most recent "tweaker" at Columbia is Bob Walton.  Bob's a good friend - I've played CCC a number of times with him.  At some point I'm going to write an article about the redo but we first have to convince CCC pres Marty West.  The membership alotted something like $6M to adjust greens and bunkers.  That pales to the nearly $30M they spent adding an underground parking lot (how the hell many clubhouses in the world have underground parking!??) and restoring the clubhouse back to a roaring twenties period piece.   I suspect Marty has cold feet about publicizing what they spent at CCC.  Seems the DC trend.  He need only look down the road at Congressional (spent $40M on clubhouse) and TPC (spent $30M on clubhouse and course restoration).  The Wash GC also spent a ton redo-ing course/clubhouse - I don't know the amount.

JC

Andy Hughes

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
So get yourself down there in the spring.  IM me when you get a chance

Yes, me as well Newbie Cirba.  I am right down the street from CCC, though on the other side of the tracks.

Might even persuade me to show you Glenn Dale if you are in the area.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Craig Disher

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
Mike,
Glad to see you back on site. If you make it to DC - after this cold spell of course - do let me know. I agree with Bill; if you have time for only one round on the DC area, Columbia is the choice.

In 1921 the Washington Post ran an article describing the holes. It could almost serve as a description of the current course.

Paul Carey

Re:Columbia C.C.
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
The greatest change that will not be undone (or seen from an aerial) by A&C in the early eighties was to flatten the fairway on the sixth hole significantly.  Most second shots were blocked visually by a hill about 170 yards from the green as I recall.  That hill was flattened and the dirt raised the valley.  This resulted in a much easier second shot since the green was now visible for second shots for all players.  Previously, only the longest drives allowed for a clear view of the second shot.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:43:11 PM by Paul Carey »

Jason McNamara

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »
Unfortunately the next designer who might have a hand in shaping the course is the head of WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority).  

Is that *still* going on?  Approaching perma-threat status.

I played there ten years ago, and it was a fantastic day.  One of those 6500-yard 140-slope courses that can really mess with you.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 02:21:40 PM »

Is that *still* going on?  Approaching perma-threat status.

I played there ten years ago, and it was a fantastic day.  One of those 6500-yard 140-slope courses that can really mess with you.

I'm not up to speed on all of the details, but in late 2008 and 2009 various players voted in favor of (or voiced support for) a light-rail option for a Purple Line that, under at least one of the plans being considered, would bisect the golf course.  I think construction is a long ways off and isn't definite, but it's certainly still a distinct possibility. 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »
The course does have the Crescent Trail cutting through and the proposed light rail would that be along the same route.  The club has a plan for dealing with the situation but it would just mean widening the trail - it is still far from a done deal.  A member told me that the underground parking cost $6M and is for employee parking.  The balance of the money was used on the clubhouse and grounds.

Columbia is a great course and thankfully it has not had an Arthur Hills redo.

The course has an assisted living facility overlooking the end of the driving range and I was told that at the USGA Junior the kids were hitting it so far that they were bouncing them off the building so the club had to ask them to not hit their drivers. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back