News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Western Open RIP Aerial: Edgewater GC
« on: July 10, 2006, 02:00:49 PM »
Edgewater Golf Course was one of the oldest clubs in Chicago having been established in 1897.  Originally located at Devon and Broadway in Chicago the course featured nine holes around 2,800 yds and extended to around 3,000 in 1900.  Chick Evans lived at 1413 Pratt a block away from the original Edgewater site where he became the clubs best caddy by age 14.  In  1912, the year Evans made it to the finals of the US Amateur at Chicago Golf Club, Edgewater moved 8 blocks west to Pratt and Ridge where 18 holes were built.  In the 1960's developers purchased the land from the Club leading to a decade of conflict.  Eventually the State and City stepped in and Warren Park was created keeping the 90 acres as open space.  Robert Black Golf Course, a new nine hole course, was built by Nugent and Killian with the rest of the property turned into a community park.  The course is popular with seniors and juniors and is host to first tee program in the summer.  

Warren Park and Robert Black Golf Course

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Western Open RIP Aerial: Edgewater GC
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 01:38:27 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane for me! Joe Black was my first golf course design under K and N.  This, along with the Lake Arrowhead thread really, really takes me back.....

A few stories - I picked up Chick Evans for the grand reopening. He lived in one of the row houses on the right of the picture, and was probably 80 at the time. When I went to the door, his one room apt. had a golf net strung up, and his wife was sitting behind the net while he hit a few balls to warm up for the big grand opening shot (using, btw, my 5 iron)

We took him on a drive around, and he told us a story about putting one spalding dot golf ball in an old willow tree to memorialize his mother.  He asked if we had taken down that tree, and we were lucky that we hadn't, given we had turned the course from east west to north south. The tree sits just right and ahead of the new sixth green. He found it, I reached in the hole, and there were thirty old golf balls down there.

During construction, we came in one day to find a merry go round from a nearby park up on the roof of the old building. Given that it took a crane to get it down, we wondered how the heck vandals got it up there in the first place. I always felt they should have put equal energy into finding a job or something!

The goofiest feature of the course is the dry lake on 2. We dug, hit water table of such pressure that we couldn't even keep liner down, so they decided to raise the bottom, fill it with gravel and call it a dry hazard.

K and N sort of let me run with this, and got a full time supervision contract, more so I  could learn from Wadsworth than supervise them in any way. I learned a lot from them on that job.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 06:44:17 AM »
The original Edgewater doesn't exactly look like a gem, but the newer version. Wow!

Jeff
That must have been your magic mushoom period.  :)

Now that is a course that needs to be preserved and studied...you took K&N's omeba bunkers to a new level. Also there are no water hazards...unusual for that era.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:09:53 AM by Tom MacWood »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
Tom,

I never did that stuff, I am just all FUBAR on my own, ya know..... ;)

I won't apologize for the idea that we were not giving the design any less thought or strategy just because it was a nine hole, municipal executive course. It was a fully designed course that was just a bit smaller than most, which I think is cool.

A few more notes in the light of day - you can see some of my design influence that comes from other busy public course design by what was added since I left - a direct line trolley path from 2 Green to 3 Tee about 2' outside the collar of the second green!  The public walker will take the most direct line available and you may as well account for it.

I don't know the date of the photo, but if it is 2005, the KN version of the course has survived relatively untouched for 27 years now. I notice the 8th hole seems to have the front part of what was a big bunker removed, but other than that, and the few cart path additons near greens and tees noted, its about as I remember.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:25:06 PM »
Jeff,  Its a great example of accessable, affordable golf that isn't dumbed down.  The First Tee program provides city kids with 5 weeks of free access 4 days a week and free green fees at CPD courses throughtout the summer.  

p.s., I always liked the concept of the dry water hazard for that course; no lost balls which saves time and frustration for newbie golfers.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back