News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

I am screwed for life
« on: July 08, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »
Two days ago I hit a shot which landed in the hole with a pitching wedge and had it bounce about ten feet in the air, down a slope, to about 65 feet from the hole.

A week ago I hit a 9-iron that was going right for the hole, bounced beyond the hole, and when it spun back hit the lip of the cup and went to two feet.

Ealier this year I hit a shot which landed a foot from the pin, bounced in the hole, then bounced back out and rested to about an inch from the hole.

Today on a Par 4(!) I hit a drive that stopped dead on from the cup, about one inch from going in.

I dont know what the deal is but what is it like to get a hole in one?
Mr. Huntley, it must feel good!!!!!
This game is aganizing, and I have no doubt that Huck, Kyle Harris, and probably other people on this site who I have not named will get a hole in one sometime.
As for me, I think I am screwed for life.

BTW, to make this somewhat off OT, how does an architect prevent hole in one's from happeneing?  How does the super do it?  Is it really their[/color] fault?
Maybe the golf God's just hate me...
 :'(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 10:58:24 PM by Jordan Wall »

SPDB

Re:I am screwed for life
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 11:06:20 PM »
Jordan,
You've been playing golf less than 2 years. Based on where you say you are in your development, you have a lot to be thankful for without worrying about holes-in-one.

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 11:18:01 PM »
I read the subject and thought you'd gotten married.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 11:27:01 PM »
I thought he maybe got a note from Augusta saying they had read anti Augusta comments from him on gca, and that he was permanently barred from either the Masters or ever being a guest at ANGC. Or, he told Tom Doak to shove it, ending his chances of gainful employment in the golf design profession.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:27:41 PM »
.......or at least had a steady girlfriend!  ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 12:05:53 AM »
My first ace was at my beloved Nchanga G.C. in Northern Rhodesia. It was back in the dark ages, I was playing with Les Brown a noted South African amateur player who had won everything there was to win in Southern Africa. When my shot went in the hole he mentioned that must have been the fortieth hole in one that he had witnessed, but had never had one himself.

Sooner or later, as Forest Gump explained, "S**t happens."

Bob  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 12:28:52 AM »
I waited 50 years for my first one
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

T_MacWood

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 12:47:39 AM »
I thought you might have broken several mirrors...and tested positive for human growth hormone.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 01:07:53 AM »
.......or at least had a steady girlfriend!  ;D
Oh my.
They dont seem to last..

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 01:12:09 AM »
J-
Leaving golf (and decorum) aside, let's work on getting you screwed in this life. A 16 year old should not be posting on a golf architecture website on a Saturday night. Visions of something other than aces should be dancing through your head.

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 06:07:51 AM »
"I am screwed for life?"

I'm afraid so---I would say there is now not a single scintilla of a doubt of it.

peter_p

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »
You must learn patience grasshopper.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »
Am I the only person who doesnt care if they ever get a hole in one? There is a time and place for 1's on a scorecard, and thats called Putt Putt.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 10:42:42 AM »
Cary, that's funny.  Like you, I waited 50 years for my first.  Took up golf at 14, first hole in one at the Kings Putter April 2005 at 64, with a driver at Stevinson Ranch.

Six months later at Mid-Pines in the Dixie Cup, hit driver on 239-yard par 3 #13?, semi-blind, get to the green and the ball is laying 3" directly behind the pin.

So it's only in GCA events and only with a driver.

My dad played for 60 years without one, and was a superb iron striker until the day he died at 72.  Bummer.  My brother has had 4, which leads me to believe there may be an element of luck.  :P

Evan_Green

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 12:33:36 PM »
I believe Ben Hogan never had an ace in competition for his entire life (if that makes you feel any better)  ;)

I think the key to getting an ace is to get the ball rolling on the green. A 7 iron shot that stops on a dime would virtually have to fly into the hole to go in. But a 4 wood rolling onto the green covers more green surface area and gives a better chance to go it. That's why some high handicappers may have several aces and low handicappers few - the low handicappers probably hit higher shots with more spin (Of course the pros suck them back into the hole because they put sooo much spin on it).

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 12:57:57 PM »
Jordan, I suspect that you will or already have achieved something that I would trade a handful of H-I-Os for - a subpar round on a great course.   Although so far, I have no H-I-Os to trade... ::) :-\ ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 06:54:11 PM »
Scared me there.

I thought you have been sentenced to life in prison and gotten a huge friendly cellmate........

And the Golf God's only do things for one reason.......to give you 'The Torture'*

* - 'The Torture' is defined as many bad shots/breaks in golf followed by JUST ENOUGH great and exciting moments to never let you off the hook.

It works, I swear to Gods.

Doug

Jordan Wall

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 08:08:40 PM »
Jordan, I suspect that you will or already have achieved something that I would trade a handful of H-I-Os for - a subpar round on a great course.   Although so far, I have no H-I-Os to trade... ::) :-\ ;D
Sub par round yes.
Great course...questionable

Actually yesterday for the first time I did beat the pro over at the Nile GC.
33(E) for nine, then went out by myself on the back and stunk it up, 7 pars, then a double, then another par.
But no H_I_O's to speak of.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 08:16:56 PM »
I believe Ben Hogan never had an ace in competition for his entire life (if that makes you feel any better)  ;)

I think the key to getting an ace is to get the ball rolling on the green. A 7 iron shot that stops on a dime would virtually have to fly into the hole to go in. But a 4 wood rolling onto the green covers more green surface area and gives a better chance to go it. That's why some high handicappers may have several aces and low handicappers few - the low handicappers probably hit higher shots with more spin (Of course the pros suck them back into the hole because they put sooo much spin on it).

Even when I landed in the hole I got screwed.
The pin was exactly as Shivas said, downwind and over a bunker.
Damn
 :'(

Andy Troeger

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 08:28:57 PM »
Evan,
   I think there's something to that. I've been lucky enough to make two...one was with a 4-iron into the wind and was a pretty low shot but very well struck. The other was in a round where I was playing so poorly that I grabbed a mediocre Top-Flite out of the bag by the middle of the back nine and with my only quality swing of the day promptly rolled it in the hole with a 9-iron from 140. If it would have been a softer ball it never goes in :)  I then put the Top-Flite back in the bag afterwards to save it, and promptly hooked another good ball into the cabbage off the next tee, and hit another into the pond on the following hole...

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 09:54:29 PM »
You're very wise Jordan.  I'd give the game up if I was you and only made the progress you have till now.

After all, you can't even beat a 16 year old girl that you keep ragging on.  ;D

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 12:33:41 AM »
Jordan:
Been playing for 31 years.
Have a double eagle (which is much harder to get, allegedly).
Lost count of eagles after 100, many years ago.
Can't sniff an ace.  Lip outs, bounce outs, left on the lip, flags, flagsticks, etc.
Meanwhile, there's plenty of 20-plus handicappers out there with multiple aces.
Ya gotta love this game.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 01:05:04 AM »
Jordan:
Been playing for 31 years.
Have a double eagle (which is much harder to get, allegedly).
Lost count of eagles after 100, many years ago.
Can't sniff an ace.  Lip outs, bounce outs, left on the lip, flags, flagsticks, etc.
Meanwhile, there's plenty of 20-plus handicappers out there with multiple aces.
Ya gotta love this game.

This is what I feel like every round:

:) :D :( ::) ??? ;D :P :'( :-\ :-X :-* ;D ;) 8)

That is what I like to call golf

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »
Pete Stankevich:

I'm basically the opposite of you. I've probably actually tried to go at par 5s less than 50 times in my entire life, maybe even as little as half that but of the times I have I did make two eagles (I can remember) and one double eagle.

As for holes in one, again I am the exact opposite of you---I have made a ton of holes in one in my life but I frankly can't even remember hitting flags and not going in or putting the ball within just inches a whole lot of times.

I guess the reason you're opposite from me and I'm opposite from you in this way, and at this point, is pretty danged obvious, even if I feel that holes in one are basically sort of flukish.

The reason is because me and my entire life is obviously completely charmed and you and your life obviously aren't.  ;) :)

How does one become "charmed" in life? Well, if you want me to tell you the answer to that start saving right now because the answer will cost you a boatload.  ;)

Mike Hoak

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 03:12:34 PM »
I was lucky enough to score one ace when I was 14 and another when I was 15 (on the closing hole of a high school match).  I am now 31 and have not come close since.  In my opinion, it's all luck.  My first ace came when I hit the top of a railroad tie fronting a greenside bunker.  The ball bounced about 20 feet into the air, hit the green and rolled into the hole.  It would be a far stretch to say there was any skill involved in that shot.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:15:53 PM by Mike Hoak »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back