News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re:Best Membership Deals
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2006, 12:59:41 AM »
bump

John_Conley

Sugarloaf Mountain
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2006, 01:06:55 AM »
I checked out the Sugarloaf website a few weeks ago, and I put myself on the mailing list. The brochure I received barely mentioned Sugarloaf, it mainly gave an overview of the other projects the Sugarloaf developer has going. They are holding whatever info there is pretty close to the vest at this time.

Sarge, you must have received the same LandMar materials I have.  I've driven out to Ferndale twice and the site looks good.  Rename it?  I don't know about that.  It is actually called Sugarloaf Mountain, is one of the highest elevation points in the state, and will really stand out in the SE with a name like that.  Sugarloaf is a favorite of cyclists because of the treacherous climb.

Up 'til now Montverde, Ferndale, and Astatula were very quiet towns.  They'll be run over in the next decade like Clermont has been over the last 15 years.

I have an e-mail in to LandMar and Hampton and will let you know if I get a reply.  I'm very interested in the project.  It is about 5 or 6 miles past Bella Colina.  My guess is that they'll be golfing on Bella Colina in about six months.

John_Conley

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2006, 01:08:33 AM »
John:

All I know is that if I invested the money I spent on my house at Cuscowilla, in prime Cuscowilla lots when they were first offered in 95 or so, I'd be retired (or close) at the ripe old age of 33.  Of course I would have had to have the coin at 23 but whose counting anyway?   ;D

Jason

Jason, I don't know if that has anything to do with Cuscowilla.  Haven't you just described buying real estate pretty much through the entire Southeast?

If I would have know what would happen to the housing market I would have bought four houses in 1997 instead of the one we're in.

Paul Jones

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2006, 07:34:53 AM »
For a wide variety of "private golf" for cheap in Georgia - check out Canongate Golf - http://www.canongategolf.com

Membership includes 15 Private Clubs with around $500 to join and $150 a month.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jfaspen

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2006, 07:39:25 AM »
One that piqued Golf's most beloved figure's interest was Indianwood in Michigan.

12k initiation + monthly dues.

2 courses, old being a classic design that has hosted many a major championship. New a more modern design that has some house infringment.

Really need to think about doing this next year.

JR Potts

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2006, 08:56:05 AM »
I don't know the exact financial details (I'm sure Terry Lavin does) but it's well known that Olympia Fields is one of the best deals in and around the Chicagoland area.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
There are numerous incredible membership deals at both private and semi-private clubs in the D/FW (Texas) area.  Residential real estate prices are also a bargain- some very nice communities under $90/sf with pool, trees, and great access.

Jason Shanks

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »
Not to threadjack, but Lou, would you mind giving some more specifics of some of the better private deals of which you are aware in the D/FW area?  I am in the market and wondering if our respective knowledge jives.

Thanks.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2006, 12:36:41 PM »
Jason,

The best thing to do is check with the clubs of interest to you within your driving area.

A couple of examples:

In the semi-private/corporate outing segment-  1) Bear Creek (36 holes) has a $100 per month membership which allows play anytime for a cart fee ($16 and change including tax) with advance booking priviliges, and unlimited use of the practice facilities; 2) Doral Tesoro has an annual membership in the low to mid $2,000s which includes carts, practice facilites, and advance bookings;

In the private golf club (no tennis or pool) category- Great Southwest had/has an offer for no initiation, and around $330 per month with a one year contract.

More upscale full-service country clubs such as Ridglea, Oak Cliff, Hackberry, and Dallas Athletic (to cover the four major compass points of the metroplex) have had drives for members with substantially reduced initiation fees.  

Jason Shanks

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2006, 12:47:29 PM »
Lou, Thank you for the reply.  DAC is near me (10 minute drive) and I have been looking very seriously at joining there.  For two courses, and a 4 hole par-3 course, it is tough to come up with a reason not to join.

-Jason

Lou_Duran

« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2006, 01:01:35 PM »
I just played the Blue course and it has continued to improve.  If I lived somewhere near the club (I am a couple of miles north of Six Flags), I would have joined a long time ago.  The Gold course is not that far behind, and the practice facilities are outstanding given the limited amount of room they have.  I was a member at Great Southwest for over 20 years (less than 5 minutes from my house), but I got tired of it, the management company, and the poor practice facilities.  I do wish you could have seen the course prior to the early 1980s.  It was a Ralph Plummer design and among the best in Texas.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2006, 06:49:34 PM »
Best deal around Phila that I've seen is French Creek in Elverson.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2006, 07:00:17 PM »
I kind of like my deals - have memberships thrown in the deal for free after getting paid to design the course.

I belong to three clubs, and pay the meal bills at the closest one to my house, and the Xmas bonus funds at the other two (one in Atlanta, one in DFW)

The only downside is, since I designed or redesigned the courses, well, as you know, they must be pretty mediocre!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:01:05 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back