News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

University Ridge to get stretched
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »
Link to article in The Capital Times

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/index.php?ntid=89895&ntpid=0

I played quite a few rounds at U Ridge in grad school due to its highly discounted student rate, and got to know it fairly well.  Its not a ball-buster, but not a pushover either.  Some of the scores the high school kids put up there in the state tounament this year blew me away.  From this I guess some "modernization"/lengthening is in order, which is somewhat funny considering the course has only been open since 1991.      

Some additional stories from the Cap Times on the golf scene in Madtown, focusing on how the boom in the 90s has turned into a glut and how the courses are struggling to maintain/grow their clientele.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/index.php?ntid=89894
http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/general/index.php?ntid=89799&ntpid=2
http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/general/index.php?ntid=89707&ntpid=2

Cheers,
Brad

Phil McDade

Re:University Ridge to get stretched
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 05:35:58 PM »
Lengthened, yes; improved -- debatable. I've always thought of URidge as being a case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts (did I get that right?). Some individual holes are good/very good, but on the whole, I find the course much less interesting than many other courses within an easy drive of Madison. Much of the challenge of URidge at its back tees (around 6,800 yards) is that it's very penal with slight mishits on a number of holes (the uphill 4th being a prime example, and much of the wooded back nine being this way); thus, from the tee, it does make you think a bit before automatically pulling driver. I fear the lengthening of the course will encourage more folks to head to the longer tees, and thus make what is generally a long slog of a course anyway take that much longer to play. And it will also make a course not that hospitable to walking even less so -- another bad trend.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:59:19 AM »
While these are articles about one region's particular set of issues in the golf industry, they really have wide reaching implications.  In the late 80s, I was actually exploring getting on that Madison area merry-go-round with involvement in the Six Mile Creek Waunakee course or one not mentioned here and now just being built in Paoli.  Boy, am I glad I didn't, or I'd be broke.  

BTW, having played a couple of times at the airport course, The Bridges, I found it was not too interesting.  I haven't played Harbottle's Eagles Landing (only walked it in construction) but it is possibly the better of the new offerings from first impression.  I've played Bishop's Bay, the private Lohmann course a few times (also not mentioned in article) and it is so-so.  Bergermont by Andy North appears to be a parade of homes (didn't play it) but boring to view and contemplate.

With all the those new public courses doing < or ~ 28-32K rounds, they will all starve.  It is a pity that the muni courses are just so-so design wise.  They may have one of the best muni-pass unlimitted play yearly fee golf deals in the country with several courses to choose from.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:35:21 AM »
Dick:

Bergamont is OK, but in defense of native son Andy North, I'm not sure he was given the greatest piece of land with which to work. His earlier work at Trappers Turn, up in the Dells vacation land, is a much better course, with a good variety of holes. Bergamont has a good run of holes at the end (par 4 16 with a threatening pond, dramatic par 3 17 bordered by the same pond, and strong uphill, dogleg par 4 18 to finish), but not a lot before that to get you excited. The houses bordering the course are -- um -- large.

For what it's worth, I think the Oaks near the village of Cottage Grove is a superior course to Bergamont, with better green sites, a nice mix of holes, interesting mix of wooded vs. wide open settings, and even a truly goofy, love it or hate it hole (par 5 9th) that is fun -- sort of -- to play. The Oaks does have the drawback of sitting hard next to I-94, and its parade of semi's.

And, in defense of the Bridges, it does make do on a piece of land where (due to airport approaches) little else could be built, and in addition had numerous wetlands that were protected. I like several of the holes there (the par 5s are generally pretty interesting, and fun to play in a risk-reward way), and it can be tough when the wind is up, as it's pretty darn flat.

I do have to say this, too, on behalf of the Bridges (esp. compared to a certain west-wide Madison muni...) -- they go out of their way to encourage youth play (big discounts for youngsters on Sat/Sun late afternoons/evenings) and are accommodating to local high school teams. The folks at Bridges sincerely seem interested in growing the game (and they don't shove carts down your throats, unlike some of the other Madison-area newbie courses).

Brad Swanson

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »
Hmm, should I sample all of this mediocrity, or just make my late July round up at Lawsonia my only round this year?  Decisions, decisions, ....

Cheers,
Brad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back