News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re:Up Day
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »
Glenn:

I hear what you say and agree with many of your
comments -- I'm one of those guys who does like hitting a low iron on some holes.

While I am not hear to belittle the motives of Tom D and others I have to think the argument for an "Up Day" is akin to the same belief of those guys who play softball on Saturday / Sunday mornings under "slow pitch" rules. The folks playing, in most instances, are former baseball players, who cannot or prefer not to, handle anything remotely associated with the real game of baseball.

That would include using a harder smaller ball -- where the pitcher can throw at whatever speed they prefer and where the field is usually a bit bigger to force players on it to be more defensively skilled. For many softball leagues the spirit of casual competiton is alive and well and that's just fine.

I am perfectly aware that people who still enjoy the elements of baseball shifted to softball because it gives them the opportunity to still really enjoy what they did when they were younger. However, to call it the same game is a bit of a stretch.

People can choose whatever tees they prefer. If people don't like the idea in HAVING to play from tee markers that are a bit beyond their skill levels so be it. They should play where they want to and go from there. Ditto the reverse.

The problem is that course owners feel they have to market themselves as "championship courses" and other such silly promotional ploys. You also get the macho type golfers who believe they need to see the WHOLE COURSE but in reality don't have anywhere near the game to do such a thing.

I like the general concept of "Up Day" because it would allow many more golfers to play holes and shots within their means to play. However, I have a counter proposal -- for every "Up Day" let's be sure to have a "Back Day" too ! ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »
I am not here to belittle anyone's efforts either. I just don't think that it is an inalienable right to shoot what you shot at 15, 25 or 30. It is not an inalienable right to be able to play in 3 1/2 hours and only have a 3.5 mile walk. I used to pitch and I could still if I wanted to, but I would not have the same speed on my fastball, I don't want to see 60' 6" moved to 54' because I am older one night a year. I can't do it and I accept that. I play softball and it sucks, if you have ever played baseball competitively, it is as different as basketball is to baseball. If someone is being 'macho' or whatever when they want to play the whole golf course, how is saying that you want to shoot what you used to shoot any different?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »
I question whether there is a direct correlation between playing up and shooting a significantly lower score.  Personally, I find it more fun, but not more productive.  

Generally, isn't there surprising compression in course ratings from different markers?    

To recapture my youth, I'd need to tee it up at the 150 marker.  

Mike

I ain't as good as I once was.
-Toby Keith
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 01:22:57 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »
Up Day at my former club was on my 50th birthday when I played the yellow(senior) tees at 5800y, 69.4/131, and shot a 77 and saw my handicap drop 2 strokes.

Back Day was when I played with a 16 handicapper who was trying  to break 100 from the black(tips) tees, 74.8/150, at 7100y to win a $100 bet. He didn't.

I don't mind playing up. Playing back, depending on the course;i.e. no forced carries, etc, can be doable but is not preferable.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »
Tom:

I have played a variation of UP DAY at Fox Hill which few may know was the first course built north of Sound Avenue in Baiting Hollow, we played an easy course/hard course tourney.  The front nine was played from the most forward tees with the easiest pin placements, and, in contrast the back was virtually one foot in the rough and the hardest placements, some unplayable.  

It was stroke play and I think I shot 35-47 or something.  On the 16th hole there, which is worth seeing if you're anywhere in the area, I four putted from 4 feet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back