News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re:Must a golf course architect be a good artist?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »
A little OT but has there been a Scott Clem siting recently?  I ask because as Gib held court at KPII and sketched architectural concepts on a linen tablecloth in his typical whirling-dervish fashion, Scott labored over an incredible pencil sketching that would have made any architect proud.  I was amazed at his talent.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jari Rasinkangas

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »
I agree with Tom.  I have played too many of these 2D courses.

The drawing skills are a good help but the real challenge is to get the shaper understand your idea.

Shaping the golf course is like making a sculpture using 2D drawing and/or other artists advice.  How many sculptors do 2D contouring design before starting their work?

Mark, I like the sand box idea.  Have made a couple of those models using just the sand on the ground during construction.

Jari

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »
Mike,
   I wish I had kept that tablecloth, but I did take a picture of it. Scott should be heading off to Scotland next month for some golf and then if all goes well out to Utah to work on a project. Scott spent a little time down in Texas with Mike N and the guys.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 11:14:14 AM »
Bogey-

I talked to Scott this morning and this thread came up in our conversation. Things are going quite well for Mr Clem, he recently got married for one thing. He did, as Ed states work down in Texas but that was short lived. He is now on to bigger and better things having traded in his pencil for a D6 and his tablecloth for dirt. He is currently working on the David Kidd project at Stonebrea alongside Joe Burnett. I have yet to see him in action but have heard only good things.

Ed it sounds like you and Scott need to do some catching up ;D.

Tully

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 11:59:12 AM »
Regarding Pete Dye and 3D thinking, I fbelieve that 2-D thinking was the major reason that Harbor Town featured flat bunkers and table top greens.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back