News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re:Women's Open
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »
What a great course to watch.  And how about that green complex at 18.  Awesome!

rgkeller

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
Ms. Wie hit 32 of 56 fairways and 43 of 72 greens. Not a lot of Ben Hogan there.

Good thing she can chip, putt and play bunker shots. 28.25 putts per round.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »
There was much good about the course, but I thought NBC made too much about the soggy conditions without stressing how different it made the course play...

My sense was the greens had a fair amount of contour that the camera did not pick up until the ball started to roll.  Other than the rough, I didn't see any hazards off the tee coming into play....again, I suspect the soggy conditions took that element out of play....and NBC was more concered about driving distance making the course play long and not how those elements off the tee were no longer in play...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike McGuire

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2006, 10:48:38 PM »
2nd page and very little talk about the course. Does anyone know anything about it? Here is the Wikipedia entry. Is it accurate? Can anyone add anthing? Now that Wie is gone we can we discuss the course?

Newport Country Club
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Newport Country Club is a private golf club in Newport, Rhode Island in the United States. The club was founded by American businessmen John Jacob Astor IV, Theodore Havemeyer and three members of the Vanderbilt family, Cornelius II, Frederick William, and William Henry II in 1894. It was one of the five clubs which founded the United States Golf Association in that same year. At that time of its founding, Newport was at the peak of its prestige as the favorite summer colony of America's wealthy elite; the city had one of America's earliest golf clubs since the sport was played almost exclusively by the rich when it was first introduced to the United States.

The clubhouse was designed by architect Whitney Warren. The course was designed in 1894 by William Davis, the club's first professional. Originally designed as a 9 hole course, it was expanded to 18 by architect Donald Ross. A. W. Tillinghast, famous for such designs as Winged Foot, Baltusrol and the San Francisco Golf Club, was hired to remodel the course layout in 1924. Since 1995, restoration on some of the course has been completed by Ron Forse. The clubhouse, a former Vanderbilt mansion, went under extensive renovation in 2005.

In 1895 the club hosted both the first U.S. Amateur Championship and the first U.S. Open. In 1995, in celebration of the U.S. Amateur Championship centennial, Newport Country Club hosted the 1995 U.S. Amateur Championship, which was won by Tiger Woods. It will be the venue of the 2006 U.S. Women's Open. Click here for the 2006 US Women's Open official website.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 01:45:52 AM »
Ms. Wie hit 32 of 56 fairways and 43 of 72 greens. Not a lot of Ben Hogan there.

Good thing she can chip, putt and play bunker shots. 28.25 putts per round.

Funny what a difference a few weeks can make, eh?

Kirk Gill

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 08:52:22 AM »
My level of gca geek-dom is pretty limited compared to most on this site, but I feel like a dolt for never having seen Newport before. I loved the rough-hewn look of the place, hard against the ocean, fescue abounding. The shapes of the bunkers, the roll of the terrain, the beautiful clubhouse looking down on it all........It has the look and the pedigree......for those who have played it, what keeps it from being a "top 100" type of club? Should it be?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Phil McDade

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
I was struck by how green the course looked, compared to the fast and firm, browned-out look of the course when NBC showed a brief clip of Tiger's win there in the Amateur. That's a LOT of rain, considering the course has no fairway irrigation system. But what an interesting course, with unconventional design elements -- back-to-back par 3s on the front (after the switch in nines), a cool-looking sub-300-yard par 4, tighter fairways and some pinched approaches on the front nine, compared to a more wide-open look on the back nine to account for its closeness to the ocean.

I'll be interested to see how fast and firm the USGA has gotten Prairie Dunes for the Senior Open. Any Kansas GCAers out there to report on recent weather in the Plains?

D_Malley

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 10:01:44 AM »
is anyone else suprised to see the condition of the bunkers?  i agree that there is not a need to have perfect sand condition in bunkers, but it looks like there was no attempt at all to pump any water out of these traps.  maybe they have been getting rain each night of the championship, or the water table is so high that pumping out water has no effect.  

JohnV

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 02:36:52 PM »
I think it was a water table issue.  As David Fay said during one of the telecasts, as long as the point furthest from the hole is not under water, you can find a place to take relief, play hard and remember, they are hazards.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »
Did you notice that the playoff took a little over three hours - a time all should aspire to.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 05:54:51 PM »
Did you notice that the playoff took a little over three hours - a time all should aspire to.

I agree with you, but don't forget that most courses usually have more than two players on it.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

rgkeller

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 11:46:20 AM »

Unless you compare the two at age 16.

Not a lot of Ty Tryon either.

PThomas

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 05:24:42 PM »

Unless you compare the two at age 16.

Not a lot of Ty Tryon either.

where is Mr. Tryon these days?

and kudos to Annika, who cemented her status as the greatest woman player ever...what a competitor...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

rgkeller

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2006, 05:30:14 PM »
Mr. Tryon is in the same place a lot of youthful phenoms are - nowhere.

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2006, 06:11:06 PM »
Actually, I believe Ty Tryon had a bunch of starts on the Nationwide Tour this year. I'd say it's a little early to write him off.

Justin Rose disappeared for a few years, but seems to be fine now.

rg, you just can't seem to get past the fact that some people choose different paths in life, some to success, some to failure, some experience their own kind of success that others might view as failure. That's life.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Craig Sweet

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »
16 years old and top 5 finishes in 5 of the last 6 majors...an amazing accomplishment.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2006, 02:02:49 AM »
Right, Craig, and four of those were top 3's.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back