News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

The first Western Open was held at the Glen View Golf and Polo Club in September 1899 following the establishment of the Western Golf Association in April that year.  The original 6,051 yard course was designed by Richard Leslie.  After completion of the 36 hole competition, Midlothian Pro Willie Smith (originally from Carnoustie) and Glen View Pro Laurie Auchterloine (also from Scotland) were tied at 156.  Smith won in an 18 hole playoff 74-84.  In the Western Amateur, held the same week at Glen View, David Forgan of the Onwentsia Club was a 6&5 victor over Walter Egan.  It was Forgan, at the behest of C.B. MacDonald, who proposed the WGA be established as a regional rather than Chicago area organization.  In light of this fact and recent events, it is interesting to note that between 1899 and 1939 only 15 Westerns were held in the Chicago area.  The Western was not held in Chicago between 1940 and 1961.  The Western returned to Chicago in 1962 when it was held at Medinah and has been held in Chicago every year since then.  A final note on the Glen View Club.  Reportedly WGA legend Chick Evans played his final round there in 1977 at age 87 and birdied the 18th hole.  

The WGA is known for ithe Evans Scholars caddy scholarship program.  Here is a group of caddies at the Glen View Club in 1912.

The GVGC has occupied the same site since it was established in 1897.  The 200 acre site was purchased by the Club for $18,000.  The course went through several redesigns or updates.  Most notable being that William Flynn which is the course we likely see in this 1939 aerial (Wayne Morrison correct me if I'm wrong).  I believe David Esler did some work at Glen View more recently.  

And more recently.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

wsmorrison

Re:Western Open Aerial and Photos: Glen View Golf and Polo Club
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 06:25:28 PM »
Dan,

Flynn was recommended to Glen View Club by CV Piper in the Department of Agriculture.  Between Piper, Oakley, Hugh Wilson, Harban, Flynn and a few others the begining of the National and then USGA Green Section came about.  Flynn visited the club in late 1922 and presented a redesign plan based mostly on the existing routing.  More than half of the proposed changes were implemented.  The greens were square and the bunkers rather primitive.  Flynn changed most of the greens, many bunkers and added new tees.  Chick Evans was an honorary member of the club.  It was renovated by David Esler I believe in 1999.  As you can see in the modern photograph, the bunkers have a completely different look to them.  There are lots of little capes and bays in addition to the larger ones visible in the aerial photograph.  

Recently it came to light that Colt and Ross made proposed changes in 1913 supposedly some of which were executed.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 06:26:27 PM by Wayne Morrison »

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 07:39:30 PM »
The bunkers look like they have been given the MacKenzie/Thomas/Thompson/RTJ treatment....what gives? That 1939 is very interesting, that is one heavily bunkered golf course. They must have kept Tilly away during his PGA bunker reducing tour.

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »
Agreed, Tom.  The bunkering style was dramatically changed to a more modern style.  I think the club has always been rather well to do so maintenance issues during the Depression may not have had that much of an impact.  If anyone has been to the club, they know that they have one impressive clubhouse!

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:20:58 PM »
Wayne
The bunkers in the '39 photo look a lot like the Flynn plan you posted a while back...if I remember right.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back