News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Creating local rules - Advice?
« on: June 24, 2006, 09:05:08 PM »
Any advice on formalizing local rules at our club?  I know the USGA has some good specimin rules, but I'm looking to see if anybody has advice that wouldn't be found there.

One of our features that affects some higher-handicapers is a long carry over wetlands.  We'll probably be using the Rule 26/provisional allowed local rule, but is there anything that can be done in the way of a drop area?  It's about a 190 yard carry, and some folks have trouble makng it.

-------------
On another rules/course set-up question..  Is there a mininum distance the tee markers should be place from the back of a teeing area?  I think it should be 2 club lengths - at least.

Thanks.

peter_p

Re:Creating local rules - Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 09:14:26 PM »
Dan,
I didn't know you belonged to the Reserve Vineyards. That is our 4th (North) to a tee. We use a drop circle which is equal to the middle of a lake. I have been trying to get them to level an area just short of the lake. Against USGA rules, but what the heck. And it affects middle handicappers, too.

The teeing ground is two club lengths deep, so three yards should be the minimum distance from the bck of the tee box.

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:48:41 PM »
Dan,

Decision 33-8/2 prohibits putting a ball drop on the far side of a water hazard for a ball which fails to clear the hazard.  Even thought it isn't allowed, many clubs do it.

The Teeing Ground is an area that is the width of the tee markers and goes back two club lengths from them.  But, there is nothing in the rules that says that area has to be on flat, mown grass.  It is common courtesy to provide that much room, but, just as the rules don't specify that the hole must be a certain distance from the edge of a green, they don't say you have to give that much room.  Again, I certainly would make sure that at least part of the teeing ground had two club lengths behind the markers on a par 3.  On other holes I don't believe it matters that much, but I wouldn't want anything that interfered with a player's backswing to be in reach.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 02:07:22 PM »
Dan,

I do not mean to be a jerk, but how come the members do not play from a forward tee on that particular hole?  I know there could be some ego bruising or something along those lines but in that case I do not see why playing a forward tee would hurt anyone.  

In any case, Seattle Golf Club has a hole similar to that, with a drop area to the side.  There is not a problem with that either.  I just say play the tees that match a person's ability.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »
Dan,

I do not mean to be a jerk, but how come the members do not play from a forward tee on that particular hole?  I know there could be some ego bruising or something along those lines but in that case I do not see why playing a forward tee would hurt anyone.  

In any case, Seattle Golf Club has a hole similar to that, with a drop area to the side.  There is not a problem with that either.  I just say play the tees that match a person's ability.

Jordan, you're absolutely correct, of course.  Smartly, we changed our 2nd longest teels from green to white, and the emotional baggage seems to have disappeared.

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 05:21:06 PM »
At my course I have this wetland/drop area situtation on four holes. I would rather see people just play by the rules and re-tee or take a proper drop, however there is a problem carrying the wetlands. I was forced to put the drop on the other side of the wetlands, however I told the members it was not going to be some cake shot.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back