News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Poor Avenel
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:30:24 PM »
Just got word from Mamaroneck through the tournament office and media tent that Sergio's back is hurting him and he won't be showing up to defend his championship at Booz Allen.

That reduces the post open field at Avenel to, basically, a corporate scramble.  I think they are trying to recruit local high school players to fill out the field!

Those of you who have seen Avenel over the years almost to a person, have a bad opinion.  It's really unfortunate too for Avenel may be the most maligned golf course maybe in the history of the tour.

Over the past three years through the pampered care of super Superindendent - Dennis Ingram, and the gentle caring of a devoted staff the course has quietly become nearly magnificent.  Lush, thick and consistent, the surfaces greeting the players this week will be as good as most stops on the tour.  Not just Kemper/Booz week, but that way all year long.  Bunkers have been rebuilt, greens groomed and lines of play better delineated - it is a thoroughly enjoyable golf course and from where the members play, maybe the hardest sub 6500yd course in the world.  There is shot variation, decision making, risks and rewards, potential mountain peaks and abysses galore. It is an envigorating walk with a bag on your back.  Avenel has quietly snuck under the character radar screen.

Esthetically the harsh "brownstones" that Brad once laughed at have all but disappeared behind a lush canopy of protecting vegetation.  I challenge Brad to even find those Brownstones he once complained about.  There is flora and fauna abound.  

This isn't a top 100 course but it is so much better than what it once was - I wish all of you could see it again…. especially the media who have been splitting a gut over it for these past 20 years.  This week I hope it gets some acclaim it and the staff deserve.

JC    

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 08:54:01 PM by Jonathan »

rboyce

Re:Poor Avenel
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:49:11 PM »
Jonathan, I've played Avenel and attended the Kemper/Booz several times. I tend to agree with you that the criticisms are overly harsh. Maybe the catalyst for the negativity is the disdain for the "stadium" style design.

While Avenel doesn't merit the superlatives that are reserved for the best courses around, the word fun is probably appropriate. Remember when Greg Norman wanted to "blow up" hole number nine? Shoot, I get a kick out of watching players drop lawn darts onto the creek-guarded green below.

Imho, 12 and 13 are possibly the best holes on the course and 14 can be interesting when players try to drive the green.

I have a different perspective than you on the difficulty from the men's tees. Though it can be a tough course I feel like I've played others that are just as hard or harder from the same distance.

It is a shame that the DC metro area doesn't have a regular tour stop, but I guess we should be grateful for the Prez Cup, occasional USGA events, etc. With Booz Allen HQ right down the street from the Norman Course at Lansdowne I guess there has been speculation about moving a PGA event there?

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 09:32:56 AM »
  Have played Avenel several times as well. The best of the holes are in the middle, 7 - 14. It's not horrible by a long shot but there has always been something off with this event. The Zoysia fairways, timing of the tournament etc. There have been some exciting finishes and playoffs produced over the years.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 12:41:13 PM »
It hasn't posed many problems for Ben Curtis! 62-65, wow  :o

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 07:00:12 PM »
Washington DC - 30 years without regular baseball.  How long will it now be without regular golf?

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 11:15:39 PM »
I don't know Jonathan. After the soft and very natural feel to holes 10-12, the image of all of those condos and homes as you clumb up to the 13th tee reminds me of being trapped on the Long island Expressway around Douglaston Parkway.

I think TPC Avenel got its reputation (deservedly) thanks to the wild and aggressive earth moving needed to create most of the holes, and the extremely forced way in which the holes (except 10-12) are shaped into the dirt they piled all over the place. You are aware throughout that they are trying mighty hard to jam in real estate, spectator access and dramatic views from the camera -- everything except an enjoyable round for the golfer.

I have not seen the place in a few years but structurally it would take a lot (more than good conditioning) to change the basic commitment and ambiance of the place. It's easy to tell these days whether a golf property's basic interest is golf or just feeding a big money machine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back